LSI Controller FW updates IR/IT modes

I have searched this thread and I am still confused but where can I download the files for h310 firmware and instructions so i can see its post to enter the utility if needed

If you use the method suggested by Fireball3 you would edit the 5IT.bat files and add "-b MPTSAS2.ROM" to the sas2flsh.exe line it is the same for opentoe's method.

Downloads zip file and instructions in this post for Fireball3's method: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=12767.msg259006#msg259006

opentoe's method is here: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=12767.msg409058#msg409058

So just add the -b MPTSAS2.ROM to the end of the sas2flsh line for both methods if you want to see the bios boot up - like I do.  This is making the assumption that the bios rom image is MPTSAS2.ROM for the opentoe method like the Fireball3 method.

I've never tried opentoe's method because I had all of mine already flashed before he responded but it looks to be a lot simpler.

Thanks for the reply and the link fireball3. Would I be able to do this with the card in the unraid box using "Installer_P20_for_Linux" or would I need to have it in a windows box first and use "9211_8i_Package_P20_IR_IT_Firmware_BIOS_for_MSDOS_Windows"? I'll try loading the card up with drives and doing a parity check, like you said. That makes sense to ensure all the drives are seen on the card and its good to go. Thanks in advance.

Sorry for the late reply. Have been busy lately.

I have never done it on a linux machine, but it should be the same.

Just grab the right files.

I have searched this thread and I am still confused but where can I download the files for h310 firmware and instructions so i can see its post to enter the utility if needed

It does get quite confusing since there are different methods for different cards. I've only flashed the Dell H310 cards. I think I flashed about 20 of them already. You will also read that if you flash with the DELL IT FIRMWARE, which you can download right from Dell's site and is approved by Dell the QUEUE DEPTH is very low. The Dell queue depth is 25. The LSI IT FIRMWARE is 600. Now I've used both variations of the IT firmware and have not found one or the other to perform better. I just happen to have the LSI IT FIRMWARE running since it was the last version I flashed to the cards.

If you are having trouble flashing and need specifics or files themselves let me know. As I said before it has been a while since I've flashed anything but still have my notes and the files I used and once I start doing it the memory will come back.

After putting things off for a bit, I put the LSI 9211-8i card in my windows box and after a little tinkering, (it didn't want to flash as IT mode over IR mode initially and a few other fun things) I was able to flash it to the version 20 FW and into IT mode. I tried it in the unraid box initially, but I had no luck. It was much easier in windows, thanks to the .bat files. I'll do my best to lay out what worked for me and help anybody in a similar situation as much as I can if needed. Thanks.

After putting things off for a bit, I put the LSI 9211-8i card in my windows box and after a little tinkering, (it didn't want to flash as IT mode over IR mode initially and a few other fun things) I was able to flash it to the version 20 FW and into IT mode. I tried it in the unraid box initially, but I had no luck. It was much easier in windows, thanks to the .bat files. I'll do my best to lay out what worked for me and help anybody in a similar situation as much as I can if needed. Thanks.

Did you also flash the BIOS or just the firmware?

Glad to hear you got it going!

It does get quite confusing since there are different methods for different cards.

Fireball3 has done some nice wiki work on other things.  Perhaps he might be willing to set up a wiki page based on this thread, with different sections for each card, and copy the appropriate instructions and links to them?  ;)

I am updating my sata card in order to make use of all the drive slots I have. I was looking at the SM AOC-SAS2LP-MV8 until I saw the issues with v6 . That being said currently I have no need to go there as I dont need the extra features it offers . hence I am looking at the dell h310  . I am not scared of flashing it , it seems straight forward , I am more concerned with an issue where these cards cause system boot issues .  does anyone have the biostar 690G board ? will it work straight out of the box or will I need to blank some contacts? ( something I am loathe to do )

I will check what can be done to improve the situation in the wiki.

It will still be a problem to lead people to the wiki if they just follow forum search results.

I wonder if it is possible to have a post sticky on each page of a multi-sided thread?

You'd think the process would be identical for every H310 card I had. That wasn't the case. Sometimes I had to use different versions of the sas2flsh utility and some wouldn't take the ROM BIOS back on. Then had to be worked with for a while to get it back on. Not really needed, but some users wanted it there. I could have 10 H310 cards all in IR mode and I'd guess I would need to use three difference techniques to flash them all to IT mode. I also only used DOS mode. Rufus. I'll input if help is needed.

I am updating my sata card in order to make use of all the drive slots I have. I was looking at the SM AOC-SAS2LP-MV8 until I saw the issues with v6 . That being said currently I have no need to go there as I dont need the extra features it offers . hence I am looking at the dell h310  . I am not scared of flashing it , it seems straight forward , I am more concerned with an issue where these cards cause system boot issues .  does anyone have the biostar 690G board ? will it work straight out of the box or will I need to blank some contacts? ( something I am loathe to do )

I used a small form factor Dell 790 desktop. It had two PCI-E slots in it. When I used slot 2 the USB stick wouldn't boot. I moved the card to slot 1 and then could boot to the USB stick. That was an easy one. Other situations will be different and you may need to visit the BIOS. Can go into the BIOS of your mainboard and turn off or de-select what you want to boot.

NOTE: IF YOU GO INTO THE BIOS MAKE SURE YOU SAVE YOUR CURRENT SETTINGS IF NEEDED FOR LATER.

this was the problem I was referring to https://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=29236.0

while searching ebay found this http://www.ebay.com/itm/121601853837 , which led me to this http://www.qbtl.com/new-it-mode-lsi-9211-8i-sas-sata-8-port-pci-e-6gb-raid-controller-card-us-seller.html .  This seems very cheap for this card - the seller looks legit , and the card does not look like a knock off. any thoughts ?

this was the problem I was referring to https://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=29236.0

while searching ebay found this http://www.ebay.com/itm/121601853837 , which led me to this http://www.qbtl.com/new-it-mode-lsi-9211-8i-sas-sata-8-port-pci-e-6gb-raid-controller-card-us-seller.html .  This seems very cheap for this card - the seller looks legit , and the card does not look like a knock off. any thoughts ?

He has other products from Hong Kong, but this one is coming from the US. Depends where you are located.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-IT-Mode-LSI-9211-8i-SAS-SATA-8-port-PCI-E-6Gb-Card-Bulk-packing-US-Seller-/291641245650?hash=item43e72c3fd2:g:xrgAAOSwZ1lWcy3~

Seems to have very good reviews. He most likely flashed the card himself, I've never seen a RAID card sell flashed to IT mode. He is using version P19, which has said to work fine. I'm using the later version P20 and have seen rare posts about that not being a stable version but I never had issues. And the picture shows both size brackets, so that will cover both size cases.

I will check what can be done to improve the situation in the wiki.

It will still be a problem to lead people to the wiki if they just follow forum search results.

I wonder if it is possible to have a post sticky on each page of a multi-sided thread?

I am sure that someone has already asked this question, and trying to dig through the posts of 63 pages...

I have Supermicro SASLP cards that I want to swap for Dell h310 cards. Could you please point to where is the latest/best/easiest post for flashing the PERC h310 to work with unRAID?

Thank you,

Lev

I have been trying to flash the H310 and keep getting stuck on the same step over and over. I am using the "Toolset_PercH310 to LSIMegaraid.zip" and think that am following the instructions pretty closely. The step where the Dell IT firmware is flashed keeps giving me the same error "Failed to initialize PAL. Exiting program". I have tried to perform the same steps on a Supermicro C2SEE board as well as Asus H87M-E. I tried booting into UEFI, as some have suggested, to no avail.

Any help would be fantastic!

Thank you,

Lev

ADAPTERS.TXT

I've heard of people needing to try 3 or 4 motherboards before they found one that would work. But yeah definitely try flashing from uefi shell.  I'm going to be flashing another M1015 for somebody this morning from my Asus P6X58D Premium. Works like a charm.

I've heard of people needing to try 3 or 4 motherboards before they found one that would work. But yeah definitely try flashing from uefi shell.  I'm going to be flashing another M1015 for somebody this morning from my Asus P6X58D Premium. Works like a charm.

Seriously? I have one of those boards. Is the process the same or do I need to modify anything? That's an old board. Can it run UEFI?

Seriously? I have one of those boards. Is the process the same or do I need to modify anything? That's an old board. Can it run UEFI?

Wow coincidence.  You should have no problem then.  No uefi.  Just flash in dos. I use the bottom pci-e slot. I've never specifically flashed a Perc 310 but I imagine it should be the same.  It should definitely work for you.  I've flashed like 5 LSI 9220-8i controllers so far with this motherboard.

Wow coincidence.  You should have no problem then.  No uefi.  Just flash in dos. I use the bottom pci-e slot. I've never specifically flashed a Perc 310 but I imagine it should be the same.  It should definitely work for you.  I've flashed like 5 LSI 9220-8i controllers so far with this motherboard.

Thank you. I'll try tonight and let you know.

Just to make sure, when you say to flash in DOS. The last step was always returning the same error code, Failed to initialize PAL. Did you have to do anything to avoid that?

use the bottom pci-e slot.

I will try that.