LSI Controller FW updates IR/IT modes

Be careful!!!

Search the net for info specially related to that card or chipset!

You are putting your card at risk if you "just try" with a wrong/unknown firmware.

Sometimes you can set the controller to JBOD and pass each drive through if

you don't have a dedicated IT mode.

Last thing you can do is sell your incompatible card and get one with a known working IT mode.

Always better than having an expensive paperweight!

So I'm having an issue trying to flash my RS2WC080 to IT FW.  I thought I saw an error after executing the 3.bat command but not positive.  Anyway, when I tried to execute 5IT.bat, I got an error saying chip was in reset state mode (is this from 3.bat?).  Not sure how to proceed?  Should I try to execute 3.bat again?

C:\LSIMEGA\SAS2FLSH.EXE -l Flashlog.txt -o -f 2118it.bin -b mptsas2.rom 
Advanced Mode Set

Adapter Selected is a LSI SAS: SAS2008(B2)   

Executing Operation: Flash Firmware Image

Firmware Image has a Valid Checksum. 

Firmware Image compatible with Controller. 

Valid NVDATA Image found. 

NVDATA Device ID and Chip Revision match verified.
	Valid Initialization Image verified.
	Valid BootLoader Image verified.

Chip is in RESET state. Attempting Host Boot...
	ERROR: Firmware Host Boot Failed !
Due to error remaining commands will not be executed.
Unable to Process Commands.
Exiting SAS2Flash.

Edit: Ok, so for some reason I needed to reboot between steps 2 and 3 as well as 3 and 5. Both cards flashed without any further issues.  Thanks for the step by step guide!

• 3 weeks later...

This has probably been answered, somewhere, in this 67 page thread but search here is not my friend.  What's the maximum HD size this controller will support?  I just got it about 3 weeks ago & love it so far.

"this controller" could stand for any controller mentioned in this thread so which one ARE you talking about?

If "this controller" is LSI SAS2008 based or newer then it would be many times greater then 10TBs maximum drive size I've seen.

This has probably been answered, somewhere, in this 67 page thread but search here is not my friend.  What's the maximum HD size this controller will support?  I just got it about 3 weeks ago & love it so far.

"this controller" could stand for any controller mentioned in this thread so which one ARE you talking about?

If "this controller" is LSI SAS2008 based or newer then it would be many times greater then 10TBs maximum drive size I've seen.

Yes I should have specified, sorry about that.  It's an Intel RS2WC080 (flashed back to basic LSI SAS2008)  so greater than 10TB, indeed.  Thanks. 

• 3 weeks later...

LSI MegaRAID with SAS2008 chipsets

1) IBM ServeRAID M1015

2) Intel RS2WC080

Please let me know (PM or post here) what Card you have successfully flashed with the LSI MegaRAID SAS2008 chipset with the provided zip.

SAS9220-8i IBM System X3650 M3

Product Name    : ServeRAID M1015 SAS/SATA Controller

FW Package Build: 20.11.1-0184

BIOS Version      : 4.37.00_4.14.05.00_0x05290000

Preboot CLI Version: 03.02-020:#%00009

WebBIOS Version    : 4.0-60-e_49-Rel

NVDATA Version    : 3.09.03-0054

FW Version        : 2.130.384-3359

Boot Block Version : 2.02.00.00-0001

P11 file (LSI MegaRAID to SAS2008(P11).zip - 5.87 MB) , All PERFECT !!

Server boot on legacy mode only, pendrive 4Gb Kingston.

Fantastic JOB thanks a lot !!

Having an issue two MegaRAID SAS2008's.

On the first card, im Constantly getting "Firmware image not supported" My card seems to be a revision 4, but every firmware i can find only does up to 3. Image attached of error. Is there anyway to bypass this check and just force it to flash?

On another card however, i cant even get that far. Unsure if i have bricked it or if its beyond saving but i ended up making a thread for it here.

https://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=48889.0

Any help would be massively appreciated! Been at this for hours now and have been getting nowhere. Tried virtually every firmware i can find on the first card, second card i kinda gave up hope on.

20160505_0156401.jpg.2bc6681564acec475a32c16b429c2a91.jpg

On the first card, im Constantly getting "Firmware image not supported" My card seems to be a revision 4, but every firmware i can find only does up to 3. Image attached of error. Is there anyway to bypass this check and just force it to flash?

On another card however, i cant even get that far. Unsure if i have bricked it or if its beyond saving but i ended up making a thread for it here.

Any help would be massively appreciated! Been at this for hours now and have been getting nowhere. Tried virtually every firmware i can find on the first card, second card i kinda gave up hope on.

Try this thread if you haven't already. They have newer versions of the firmware: http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/topic/29059-sas2008-lsi92409211-firmware-files

Fujitsu D2616 has a SAS2108 chip!

I wouldn't assume that the SAS2008 firmwares are working with those cards.

You should check if there is a HBA firmware for SAS2108 chips.

I have no time to do so at the moment.

Try this thread if you haven't already. They have newer versions of the firmware: http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/topic/29059-sas2008-lsi92409211-firmware-files

Took every firmware from this link, every one now comes up with "Error: Firmware image does not have a valid signature"

Went direct to LSI, but the rom file they provide to flash using megacli i cant seem to use because megacli doesnt find my card

The screenshot you posted shows the card being recognized as SAS2008 but your post on the other thread says SAS2108

Which one is your card? You might be trying the wrong firmware

It is a Fujitsu D2616 which according to its documentation is a SAS2108 based card. However, it identifies itself as a SAS2008 card revision 4.

http://sp.ts.fujitsu.com/dmsp/Publications/public/ds-py-raid-56-6G-D2616.pdf

No SAS2008 firmware i can find seems to support revision 4, nor even mentions it and the SAS2108 firmwares i have tried all give that signature error.

Im at a loss at this point

Took every firmware from this link, every one now comes up with "Error: Firmware image does not have a valid signature"

Went direct to LSI, but the rom file they provide to flash using megacli i cant seem to use because megacli doesnt find my card

As far as i can see from the links you have, it is always about SAS2008 cards!

The problem is that Fujitsu is not LSI.

Although the card may be "just rebranded", probably there are checks in place to prevent crossflashing with LSI or other firmware.

For example, when talking about SAS2008 cards there is a key firmware (P07) that will allow you to override the "Vendor mismatch".

The newer versions will not offer this opportunity and instead just quit with an error!

Do you have an original Fujitsu Firmware that you can flash?

Is there an HBA firmware from Fujitsu?

And be careful to pick the right one! I used a tool from Fujitsu in a similar situation on a D2607 and successfully bricked the card.

The computer won't post any more with the card plugged.

Edit:

The spec sheet for D2616 says SAS2108.

Edit2:

The equivalent 6 GB/s HBA from LSI/Avago is named SAS2308 and the card itself is called SAS-9217-8i

http://www.avagotech.com/products/server-storage/host-bus-adapters/sas-9217-8i#specifications

For this specific card, there is a IT/IR firmware set.

Nevertheless, this is NO guarantee that a crossflash will work, even if you have a rebranded SAS-9217 card (I don't speak of the D2616!).

Although the card may be "just rebranded", probably there are checks in place to prevent crossflashing with LSI or other firmware.

For example, when talking about SAS2008 cards there is a key firmware (P07) that will allow you to override the "Vendor mismatch".

The newer versions will not offer this opportunity and instead just quit with an error!

And be careful to pick the right one! I used a tool from Fujitsu in a similar situation on a D2607 and successfully bricked the card.

Edit:

Edit2:

The equivalent 6 GB/s HBA from LSI/Avago is named SAS2308 and the card itself is called SAS-9217-8i

http://www.avagotech.com/products/server-storage/host-bus-adapters/sas-9217-8i#specifications

Sorry, wrong link. All the 2108 FW cause the signature error

Still have the original files, hopefully can just flash that back.

Fuji doesnt provide any files or bios's for the card that i can find. They also do not support IT mode or pass trough, only solution is to make every drive a RAID0, but then you cannot add more drives without destroying the entire config. Making it useless for unRAID in my case.

Thanks for all your help so far, i was hoping this would be a quick flash but its turned into a multi day nightmare haha

Edit:

Edit2:

Sorry, wrong link. All the 2108 FW cause the signature error

Still have the original files, hopefully can just flash that back.

Fuji doesnt provide any files or bios's for the card that i can find. They also do not support IT mode or pass trough, only solution is to make every drive a RAID0, but then you cannot add more drives without destroying the entire config. Making it useless for unRAID in my case.

Thanks for all your help so far, i was hoping this would be a quick flash but its turned into a multi day nightmare haha

I'm totally confused about the 2008/2108 issue, but if it is recognized as a 2008 rev 04 by megaraid, you can try the latest firmware found here: http://www.avagotech.com/products/server-storage/host-bus-adapters/tab/tab4#tab-current-drivers4-abc Look for the one listed under 9211-8i_Package_P20_IR_IT_Firmware_BIOS_for_MSDOS_Windows

That one is P20 and was released very recently (03/2016). It might support rev 04 if it truly is an SAS2008

Fujitsu has these cards you could pick for configuration:

RAID-Controller - SAS 6 Gb/s RAID 5/6 512 MB (D2616)

LSISAS2108 6 Gb/s RAID-on-Chip

D2607 SAS/SATA RAID-Controller

LSISAS2008 6 Gb/s

RAID-Controller SAS 6 Gbit/s 1 GB (D3116C)

LSISAS2208 6 Gbit/s RAID-on-Chip

The D2607 is a rebranded LSI9240-8i like the DELL Perc H310/H200 or the IBM M1015

Those cards can be flashed with the HBA firmware from an LSI9211-8i (which is a plain HBA)

Although it is a rebrand, crossflashing is only partially successful, while the other ones mentioned are working fine.

In case of the D2607 only one SAS port will work if crossflashed.

My guess is, that a Raid on Chip is not flashable to IT mode.

Check the LSI/Avago RoC adapters for IT/IR firmware... it's not that simple

Think tbh im going to give up on both these cards.

All 2008 FW isnt compatible with its revision number even though it identifies itself as a SAS2008

All 2108 FW is compatible but will not install with the signature error though Fuji says its as SAS2108

Thanks all for help, ill have to look around for some other more prominent cards that have proven that they can be flashed.

Probably could mark Fuji D2616 cards as incompatible with unRAID. Setting all drives to RAID0 in the WebBIOS is the only real way to get them to work with unRAID but then you can never add or remove drives so its all for nothing.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a H310 coming on Monday and had 2 questions:

Is anyone running the P20 20.00.07.00?

Also can someone please let me know what the BIOS on the card does? I read that some people just flash the firmware and not the bios, and I was wondering why.

Thanks!

With out the bios you get a faster boot.  I always flash the bios too.  I want to see it list the drives connected when it boots.  I don't mind the longer boot time.

Also can someone please let me know what the BIOS on the card does? I read that some people just flash the firmware and not the bios, and I was wondering why.

Thanks!

With out the bios you get a faster boot.  I always flash the bios too.  I want to see it list the drives connected when it boots.  I don't mind the longer boot time.

Thanks BobPhoenix!

Now just to see if anyone is running 20.00.07.00. I don't want to be the guinea pig :)

Edit: Guess I will be! I just flashed the card to 20.00.07.00. I'll be building my new server next week so I'll update this thread once it's up and running.

• 2 weeks later...

Howdy all!!!

I stumbled upon this thread because I have a MegaRAID SAS 8708EM2.  While I was doing my research, I determined that in order to use this adapter as an HBA (erroneously) it appeared as though I needed to cross-flash it.

I followed the directions in the first page of this post for what I thought was a compatible card... 

After the reboot step none of the command line utilities can read the card, they all say adapter not found (or something similar)...

Did I just brick this card for good, or can I at least bring it back for RAID capabilities??

Thanks!

Thanks BobPhoenix!

Now just to see if anyone is running 20.00.07.00. I don't want to be the guinea pig :)

Edit: Guess I will be! I just flashed the card to 20.00.07.00. I'll be building my new server next week so I'll update this thread once it's up and running.

In same boat!

Just flashed to latest p20 but haven't installed yet.

Should I reflash to an earlier firmware or just suck it and see?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the m1015 with latest p20.00.07.00 in IT mode and everything works except the spin down.  Before I realized this I got my parity and one data drive on there  :( Haven't heard back from lime wire support yet.  Should I flash backwards? Or wait for help?  What version seems the most stable in unraid?