LSI Controller FW updates IR/IT modes

Fireball, it really seems way past time to put this all in a wiki page!  Any interest?  Then we could move madburg's first 4 posts over to it, and you could update them all for current versions, plus you could add other sections that are relevant, such as about UEFI, etc.  It would be great to extract all the nuggets hidden throughout this long thread, into one place!  A place that anyone can update (but is patrolled).  I suspect it might even make your life easier, less support necessary, because good info keeps getting buried on back pages.

I'll be happy to assist any way you like, just tell me what you want.

Yes, I'm in.

Would you please prepare the backbone somewhere in the wiki?

Then I will work on the content.

Excellent!  Some opening questions -

* What would you like for the page name?  some ideas - Flashing LSI Controllers, Controllers and Firmware, Flashing SATA Controllers, etc

* I can link to it from the Hardware Compatibility page, and I can modify the first post of this thread to point to it.  Anywhere else you would like?

* Would you like me to import Madburg's first 4 posts and reformat for wiki syntax?  Or leave it all to you.  You would still have to update them.  You also may have your own ideas for formatting style.

I just bought a M1015 (and the cable) on eBay since it seems to be recommended and to flash it to IT mode. However I'm not sure how to do that.

Am I supposed to use "LSI MegaRAID to SAS2008(P11).zip - 5.87 MB (DOS, via bootable usb key)" and follow the instructions inside? After doing some reading it seems like the latest is P21 (or whatever PXX means). Also, do I need to update the firmware to the latest (https://www-947.ibm.com/support/entry/portal/docdisplay?lndocid=MIGR-5082826) as well? If so, how do I do that? I have also read conflicting reports that we should do it in uefi instead of dos, but the file above says in dos? I also read that in order to make it boot faster we should disable the bios?

I'm totally new to the enterprise cards, so advice would be much appreciated

It is a great controller and so is the Dell Perc H310. Which cable did you buy?

* What would you like for the page name?  some ideas - Flashing LSI Controllers, Controllers and Firmware, Flashing SATA Controllers, etc

* I can link to it from the Hardware Compatibility page, and I can modify the first post of this thread to point to it.  Anywhere else you would like?

* Would you like me to import Madburg's first 4 posts and reformat for wiki syntax?  Or leave it all to you.  You would still have to update them.  You also may have your own ideas for formatting style.

Maybe: "Crossflashing Controllers"

In fact I have no preference. I figure it should be self-explanatory, simple and easy to find.

If you can import those posts, it would be a good base to start from.

We should link only from the specific controllers in the compatibility page that are covered on the new wiki pages.

There could be a "general" section, where the intention/basics of flashing are explained more in detail, that can be linked to, as a guide for users who have to flash new, unknown hardware or as background information.

In fact I have no preference. I figure it should be self-explanatory, simple and easy to find.

We should link only from the specific controllers in the compatibility page that are covered on the new wiki pages.

There could be a "general" section, where the intention/basics of flashing are explained more in detail, that can be linked to, as a guide for users who have to flash new, unknown hardware or as background information.

Well I've gotten it started, and there's lots of info imported, and a skeleton of a page fleshed out, but there's a LOT more work to do!  Have at it!  It's all yours!  I'm afraid much of it was painstaking cut and paste, line by line because each needed different formatting, so it's possible I've made mistakes.  I hope not, but someone will need to double check all info.  There's important info missing too, like how do you flash!  And I didn't know how best to set up the bottom sections, like boot disks, tools, etc.

Let me know if there's anything else you would like me to do.

The page is at ->  Crossflashing Controllers

Posted a thread earlier but haven't received any replies, thought I'd post it here. If anyone can help that would be great. It's my first time dealing with raid cards so I'm not entirely sure on how to test them before flashing.

I'm preparing to create my first unraid machine. I purchased a Dell Perc H200 from ebay with stock FW and was wondering what would be the best method to fully test the card and make sure it's all working before updating it to the IT firmware. Hopefully so that if there is an issue with the card itself I can send it back and get another one.

The Dell Perc H200 has 2 mini sas ports so I bought two of the 1x mini sas to 4x sata breakout cables and have a spare hard drive for testing. Is it safe to keep the hard drive running and switch sata ports and see if the hard drive is detected on each port of the breakout cables or will that damage it? It would be ideal since I can test both the controller and the cables.

Some info about the Dell Perc H200:

8 ports

PCIe x8

Sata 3

SAS2008

rebranded LSI 9240-8i

(info from the great wiki by lime-technology)

Thanks in advance.

Use this tools and instructions:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=12767.msg121131#msg121131

Once you read the readme, and understood the procedure, I'm sure you know what to do.

The latest firmware available is P20.00.07 for the reference card (LSI 9211-8i)

http://www.avagotech.com/products/server-storage/host-bus-adapters/sas-9211-8i#downloads

You can replace the P11 files from the instructions above with the P20.

Make sure to pick the IT firmware, as well as the sas2flsh.exe

If you have problems in DOS, then you can switch to UEFI.

See here how to use UEFI shell (Kudos 2 Maglin).

Sorry about the delay in my reply, didn't get a notification. Thanks, I will install the card and trying this on my windows computer. Two questions though, why is the first post not updated to the latest firmware? And which should I get from the website, can I assume it is the "9211-8i_Package_P20_IR_IT_Firmware_BIOS_for_MSDOS_Windows" which I should extract "\firmware\HBA_9211_8i_IT\2118it.bin          Version no: 20.00.07.00    Release date: 11-FEB-16" and "mptsas2.rom"? Would it be wise to update the card firmware from https://www-947.ibm.com/support/entry/portal/docdisplay?lndocid=MIGR-5082826 first?

Also if you don't mind me asking, how do I get the information off the card? I saw someone posting their card information like this:

SAS9220-8i IBM System X3650 M3

Product Name    : ServeRAID M1015 SAS/SATA Controller

FW Package Build: 20.11.1-0184

BIOS Version      : 4.37.00_4.14.05.00_0x05290000

Preboot CLI Version: 03.02-020:#%00009

WebBIOS Version    : 4.0-60-e_49-Rel

NVDATA Version    : 3.09.03-0054

FW Version        : 2.130.384-3359

Boot Block Version : 2.02.00.00-0001

I just bought a M1015 (and the cable) on eBay since it seems to be recommended and to flash it to IT mode. However I'm not sure how to do that.

Am I supposed to use "LSI MegaRAID to SAS2008(P11).zip - 5.87 MB (DOS, via bootable usb key)" and follow the instructions inside? After doing some reading it seems like the latest is P21 (or whatever PXX means). Also, do I need to update the firmware to the latest (https://www-947.ibm.com/support/entry/portal/docdisplay?lndocid=MIGR-5082826) as well? If so, how do I do that? I have also read conflicting reports that we should do it in uefi instead of dos, but the file above says in dos? I also read that in order to make it boot faster we should disable the bios?

I'm totally new to the enterprise cards, so advice would be much appreciated

It is a great controller and so is the Dell Perc H310. Which cable did you buy?

I got this one, haven't tested if it works yet, will try in a while. Mini SAS SFF 8087 to 4 Sata HDD Cable Sata3 6Gb Internal Multilane SAS 50CM Gray

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281997594210

I installed the M1015 card on my gigabyte x58a-ud5, and I'm getting that “No physical memory is available at the location required for the Windows Boot Manager. The system can not continue” error before entering Windows. Cannot update firmware to v20.11.1-0184 from 20.10.1-0107 as I can't enter Windows. Haven't tried flashing the card yet. Not sure if I'm doing something wrong, should I flash or update the card first?

Also, I've read elsewhere they have this step,

Set controller to 6GB/s mode:

sas2flsh -o -e 6

But this is missing in our bat files. Is it required?

I went ahead and flashed it (I didn't do that sas2flsh -o -e 6 step, and I don't know how to check which mode we're in)

So far ok, the boot screen shows the avago tech now which I assume is good. After flashing, I have no problems booting into Windows. It also shows up in Device Manager correctly. However I cannot update the IBM M1015 firmware because I think it cannot detect the card anymore.. is there a way to force it?

Thanks, I will install the card and trying this on my windows computer.

You should not flash while in Windoooze! Boot into DOS - is that not explained in the readme?

Why is the first post not updated to the latest firmware?

Because the author of that post is not expected to do so. I do it for the H310 as I have that kind of

controllers. As I don't have M1015's I can't update but only deduce from the H310 precedure.

The H310 procedure is based on the one from the M1015.

And which should I get from the website, can I assume it is the "9211-8i_Package_P20_IR_IT_Firmware_BIOS_for_MSDOS_Windows" which I should extract "\firmware\HBA_9211_8i_IT\2118it.bin          Version no: 20.00.07.00    Release date: 11-FEB-16" and "mptsas2.rom"? Would it be wise to update the card firmware from https://www-947.ibm.com/support/entry/portal/docdisplay?lndocid=MIGR-5082826 first?

If you deviate from the posted instructions, you're on your own to a certain extent!

Especially if you update with IBM firmware first, it can cause issues.

I didn't check the IBM software so I can't say if they have an IT firmware within that package?

If you want to go with LSI (Avago) IT firmware then better stick to the package and the instructions inside.

You will safely reach your target. Going to P20.00.07.00 from there is easy.

Also if you don't mind me asking, how do I get the information off the card? I saw someone posting their card information like this:

This makes me think, you didn't read the readme...

The first step in the procedure is to grab the information off the card.

That is what you can see there.

Am I supposed to use "LSI MegaRAID to SAS2008(P11).zip - 5.87 MB (DOS, via bootable usb key)" and follow the instructions inside?

Exactly!

After doing some reading it seems like the latest is P21 (or whatever PXX means).

Right, have to check. My last info was P20.00.07.00 or something like that - but generally correct.

P11 was the most recent at the time the post was written.

Many people use the info, but nobody cares to update. Nevertheless P11 is working well.

Also, do I need to update the firmware to the latest (https://www-947.ibm.com/support/entry/portal/docdisplay?lndocid=MIGR-5082826) as well? If so, how do I do that?

No, not necessary. You will cross-flash the controller with LSI (Avago) firmware.

Once on LSI firmware, the IBM tools (the ones available to the public) will probably not work anymore.

I have also read conflicting reports that we should do it in uefi instead of dos, but the file above says in dos?

If you have problems to flash from DOS, then try UEFI.

Caution, the instructions probably don't cover UEFI. You have to look for additional info how to get UEFI working. The procedure itself (step by step) will be the same. (You read the readme after all :-))

I also read that in order to make it boot faster we should disable the bios?

Right, this is optional. BIOS adds no benefit in unRAID. In the H310 instructions no BIOS will not be flashed by default.

You can have a look at the H310 instructions also.

You can see the differences so it may add to your understanding.

Edit:

Well, you did it after all.

Repeating Step 1 will probably report the controller's settings - with regard to the 6GB/s setting.

Hi Zeus,

I guess there is no other way of testing the card as to set up a RAID array.

But, you could flash the DELL IT firmware and do some testing with unRAID.

I guess it is possible to return to DELL IR firmware if really needed.

Thank you Fireball3. Before following the steps to flash, is there anyway to save the current FW on the card to a file so if I need to come back to the original I can. So far I'm unable to find the original firmware on Dell's website as it may be too old? Only the new ones are available.

As for getting the LSI firmware later on, are there any major differences between P11, P16, ..., and the latest P20. Is the latest P20 the way to go?

Thanks Fireball3, I thought that the IBM firmware and LSI firmware lived together, but seems like it's not?

Also, for M1015, step 1 will only work when it was on the original firmware, once flashed, the command no longer work: Exit Code: 0x01

Unfortunately, the installations included in the zip/bat installs the BIOS, resulting in additional boot time (i.e. maybe slightly faster than when it was using the IBM firmware). From what I read http://anthony-paul.com/?p=10 and https://www.servethehome.com/ibm-serveraid-m1015-part-4/ and several other places, it seems like for unraid users (since we boot from usb stick and not from the card/mobo), we should omit the command " -b mptsas2.rom", the H310 users have it good with the latest toolset :)

Now I don't know which part of the setup I should start again, I assume this time it's only 3 steps?

Megarec -cleanflash 0

<reboot, back to USB stick>

sas2flsh -o -f 2118it.bin

sas2flsh -o -sasadd 500605bxxxxxxxxx (x= numbers for SAS address)

I always burn in the BIOS.  I even go so far as to add the command you propose to take out.  I like to see it detect my cards on boot that way I know if I have problems BEFORE unRAID boots - this assumes a monitor or IPMI connection of course.  Also the time difference isn't very long and I'm not booting multiple times a day very often so the little extra time it takes to boot with the bios is not a big deal to me.  If you run for days/weeks/months between reboots it shouldn't matter if you have the BIOS turned on.

Thank you Fireball3. Before following the steps to flash, is there anyway to save the current FW on the card to a file so if I need to come back to the original I can. So far I'm unable to find the original firmware on Dell's website as it may be too old? Only the new ones are available.

As for getting the LSI firmware later on, are there any major differences between P11, P16, ..., and the latest P20. Is the latest P20 the way to go?

If you use the H310 toolset there should the SBR will be saved in step 2.

I had no reason to try and go back to original fw.

I guess, you could flash the LSI IR firmware but going back to the DELL IR is probably impossible.

I attached the release notes for each firmware since P11. Once you're in the process of flashing it

is a good idea to go with the latest firmware.

Release_Notes_P11_P20.zip

Thanks Fireball3, I thought that the IBM firmware and LSI firmware lived together, but seems like it's not?

Also, for M1015, step 1 will only work when it was on the original firmware, once flashed, the command no longer work: Exit Code: 0x01

Unfortunately, the installations included in the zip/bat installs the BIOS, resulting in additional boot time (i.e. maybe slightly faster than when it was using the IBM firmware). From what I read http://anthony-paul.com/?p=10 and https://www.servethehome.com/ibm-serveraid-m1015-part-4/ and several other places, it seems like for unraid users (since we boot from usb stick and not from the card/mobo), we should omit the command " -b mptsas2.rom", the H310 users have it good with the latest toolset :)

Now I don't know which part of the setup I should start again, I assume this time it's only 3 steps?

Megarec -cleanflash 0

<reboot, back to USB stick>

sas2flsh -o -f 2118it.bin

sas2flsh -o -sasadd 500605bxxxxxxxxx (x= numbers for SAS address)

Obviously the megarec call is not working any more!?

You can try the same with sas2flsh.

sas2flsh.exe -l Flashlog.txt -listall

By the way,

sas2flsh -o -e 6

will clean the cards flash. You don't want to do that.  ;)

There is no documented option to set the controller to a certain link state.

You can check the link state but you need a device connected to the controller.

sas2flash –o –testlsall

Values range from 0 to 3, whereas 0 ist link down and 3 = 6.0GB/s

See the SAS2Flash reference guide for more info.

Removing the BIOS needs another procedure now, as the megarec is not working anymore.

You have to use sas2flsh for all steps this time.

!I have never done this! but from my understanding you need to wipe the flash using "sas2flsh.exe -0 -e 6".

Then use the "sas2flsh.exe -l Flashlog.txt -o -f 2118it.bin" and finally write the SAS adress.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I've gotten it started, and there's lots of info imported, and a skeleton of a page fleshed out, but there's a LOT more work to do!  Have at it!  It's all yours!  I'm afraid much of it was painstaking cut and paste, line by line because each needed different formatting, so it's possible I've made mistakes.  I hope not, but someone will need to double check all info.  There's important info missing too, like how do you flash!  And I didn't know how best to set up the bottom sections, like boot disks, tools, etc.

Let me know if there's anything else you would like me to do.

The page is at ->  Crossflashing Controllers

This page is great and is just what I'm looking for. I have a Lenovo TS440 and a Lenovo RAID 500 card. Could I selfishly ask for the procedure listed here be updated next/soon? I see the section on SAS2008 is already there but the previous instructions go from P11 to P19 (and I believe now P20 is available). Since this is my first time doing a cross-flash, I'm a bit nervous to do this.

Thanks

Bit of a pickle. Got an LSI MegaRAID 9260-8i card. Downloaded the P11 MegaRAID package and followed the steps; however when attempting to flash using 5IT it spits out that there are no SAS adapters.

Edit - 9260 is not a SAS2008 chipset thats why :) Its SAS2108 so no IT mode.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Help needed.

Dell Perc H310 SATA / SAS HBA Controller RAID 6Gbps PCIe x8 LSI 9240-8i M1015 (ebay product description)

Chipset LSI SAS 2008(b2)

Following these instructions http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=12767.msg259006#msg259006

Downloaded this

Update on 07.06.2016

There is a new firmware from Avago. P20.00.07.00

The toolset has been updated accordingly. First impressions.

http://www3.zippyshare.com/v/xZKIOHaz/file.html

Getting this error http://i.imgur.com/4BMbRBK.png

Second time tried got http://i.imgur.com/Py6LC7V.png

Brick ? Can i throw it away ? :D

EDIT: Done another usb bootable stick and it worked.