LSI Controller FW updates IR/IT modes

Hey Fireball, just registered on the forum to say thanks for your toolset. I needed to flash my Dell H310 to LSI IR firmware as the Dell firmware was completely unstable in my Dell T20 server running WHS 2011 & Server 2012. Dells drivers were so flaky that it would cause blue screens as soon as I tried to copy data to the array. So I used your toolset to re-flash to LSI IR firmware making appropriate changes to the bat files where needed. Now have the array up & running using LSI drivers and firmware and so far all seems good so thanks very much.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm trying to flash the D2607, when I'm on step 3:

MegaRec -writesbr 0 SBRH200.bin
MegaRec -cleanflash 0

I get

Erasing Flash Chip (16MB)....
Completed: 0% Flash Erase Error

Flash Chip Erasing Error

Error in downloading image.
Error code -64
Failed to flash the image. Please try recovery

When I reboot, the LSI BIOS is still present...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

LSI MegaRAID with SAS2008 chipsets

3) DELL Perc H310 as well as H200 Flashed successfully to LSI9211-8i IT (P20)

Ok, got my Dell Perc H310 Card.  I started following the attached instructions and on both my Win10 computers, could not get it to format two different flash drives.  So I went to Rufus which apparently worked the same (hint it didn't) and followed all the steps up to Step 4 where I could not find my ADAPTERS.txt file.  Back during Step 1, I had assumed a problem happened when I got the error that not enough memory was available and no ADAPTERS.txt file was in my root folder.  At the time I assumed it wasn't a big deal... obviously it is.

Apparently Rufus uses a version of FreeDOS which does not have the HIMEM.SYS which makes it very problematic using FreeDOS on modern systems.  So I forced Rufus to use FreeDOS 1.2 and didn't run into that error.  Only problem is since I wiped my old firmware out, my ADAPTERS.txt file only says "Exit Code: 0x01"  I'm assuming that's because it's not being seen by the system since I wiped it. 

So should I go back and reflash the adapter with the file created in Step 2, or should I keep going and then jump back to Step 1 to get my Hardware ID so I can complete Step 6 (if that's even possible)?  I also do not have a sticker on the backside of my card showing the SAS address.

Thanks in advance!

I noticed, Windows 10 users have problems with the HP tool.

The Free_DOS bootmedia build with RUFUS needs the himemx.exe from within the full Free_DOS and an according entry in the config.sys.

Some days ago I also noticed the "Exit Code: 0x01" error while flashing an H200 controller.

I believe this is related to newer firmwares on the controller.

They won't respond when querried by the MegaCli tool.

We need to use sas2flsh instead.

You should have noticed the error already when executing the first step (1.bat).

Not sure about the MegaRec steps (2.bat and 3.bat) but they should also fail (if I remember correctly).

Therefore I started setting up an new version of the toolset with some modifications.

RUFUS and additional files included. I added it in the original post.

Note, I was going to test the tools next week on some controllers that are inbound.

See what happens, and PM me if you have problems. Grab some screenshots if possible.

Try starting over with step 1e.bat which uses sas2flsh instead of 1.bat.

If 3.bat fails, there is a 3e.bat also.

The __READMEFIRST.txt contains an SAS adress you can use if you didn't manage to dump the original one.

Maybe you can input a random number also? Can't tell if there is a check or not.

I noticed, Windows 10 users have problems with the HP tool.

The Free_DOS bootmedia build with RUFUS needs the himemx.exe from within the full Free_DOS and an according entry in the config.sys.

Some days ago I also noticed the "Exit Code: 0x01" error while flashing an H200 controller.

I believe this is related to newer firmwares on the controller.

They won't respond when querried by the MegaCli tool.

We need to use sas2flsh instead.

You should have noticed the error already when executing the first step (1.bat).

Not sure about the MegaRec steps (2.bat and 3.bat) but they should also fail (if I remember correctly).

Therefore I started setting up an new version of the toolset with some modifications.

RUFUS and additional files included. I added it in the original post.

Note, I was going to test the tools next week on some controllers that are inbound.

See what happens, and PM me if you have problems. Grab some screenshots if possible.

Try starting over with step 1e.bat which uses sas2flsh instead of 1.bat.

If 3.bat fails, there is a 3e.bat also.

The __READMEFIRST.txt contains an SAS adress you can use if you didn't manage to dump the original one.

Maybe you can input a random number also? Can't tell if there is a check or not.

Thanks for the quick fix and reply Fireball3!  So running 1e.bat came back with bad command or filename since the .bat looks for the sas2flsh.exe in the same folder as the .bat so I just copied sas2flsh.exe to that same folder.  Should only take modding the path to point to any of the sub folders to make it dummy proof.

Otherwise everything went as planned.  Really I don't think there is a need for the SAS address maybe unless you have multiple cards in your system.  I used the SAS address already in the .bat and after it booted up and recognized all my drives just fine.  Hopefully my issues were due to the Supermicro controller and I'll be worry free from here on out.

UPDATED GUIDE :

Hi Guys,

I have found another fix for some issues people are getting with the Fujitsu D2607. I had these issues my self. I had to use DOS and UEFI for this, because the sas2flash(sas2hax) efi version has only been patched.

This allowed me to flash it to p20 straight with out needing to go to DELL then p7 then P20.

Also fixes an issue where people were getting only one SAS port working.

Steps

Create DOS USB using RUFUS and copy these files to the USB

Follow guide using the files below on a USB. sas2flsh.efi is renamed to sas2hax.efi on these files.

SBR SBR-A11.bin or SBR-A21.bin should get it working. Contains, p19 sas2flash thats been patched, P20 IT and IR Modes.

Mirror #1: https://mega.nz/#!T8cSRSwL!UUo72yqq-ov2ulKgaznP8vgVeE_zBMdpBQ7ZB2LvfO8

Mirror #2: http://www62.zippyshare.com/v/lQHpaKqv/file.html

Use "SBR-A11.bin" for A11 model and the SBR-A21.bin for A21 model.

I've used A11 in the guide below.

Boot the USB in non UEFI mode. (DOS)

then do the following commands,

megacli -adpallinfo -aall |find /i "sas address" > sas_addr.txt

megarec -readsbr 0 sbrbackup.bin

megarec -writesbr 0 SBR-A11.bin

megarec -cleanflash 0

If the cleanflash failed, reboot and try again, I have been told it took someone 4-5 reboots to get it to finish. 

UPDATE: No joke it look me like 15 reboots for my last card.

Reboot in to UEFI shell on the usb, some motherboards you can go in to the boot menu and do the UEFI option for the USB stick, best to check out in the manual or online.

Your mount point for your USB might not be FS0, could be FS1, FS2 and so on. keep doing it until you find the drive with sas2hax.efi

Doing the command "ls" will list the files on the mounted drive. If you unplug all drives and usb sticks then it will be fs0

Once booted in to EFI Shell, do the following commands

mount fs0

fs0:

This command for IR mode

sas2hax -o -f 2118ir.bin

This command for IT Mode

sas2hax -o -f 2118it.bin

It will error about it can't reset the adapter, as long as it did the firmware download, we good.

Reboot and then boot the UEFI on the usb again

Do the following commands

mount fs0

fs0:

This command for IR mode

sas2hax -o -f 2118ir.bin -b mptsas2.rom

This command for IT mode

sas2hax -o -f 2118it.bin -b mptsas2.rom

sas2hax  -o -sasadd (sas address is in sas_addr.txt,  if its blank, just make a random 16 digits up.)

Then plug in at least 1 drive in to each SAS port. If only one works do the following.

Reflash the SBR for your card.

megarec -writesbr 0 SBR-A11.bin

That should do the trick, there no need to reflash the firmware if you just changing the SBR

SBR-A21.bin        worked on My D2607-A21

SBR-A11.bin        worked on My D2607-A11

Making up a SAS address is fine, just make sure you don't flash two cards with the same address.

Problem I also in counted is that the tools couldn't see the card, turned out that I could only flash it when it was in the first PCI 16x slot. After I was done flashing moved it back to the second and it works fine.

If either SBR doesn't get the second SAS port working or you have different model, IM me the sbrbackup.bin and I'll modify a new SBR which might get it working. Can't guarantee anything though.

You can find more help cross flashing the D2607 card here

https://marcan.st/2016/05/crossflashing-the-fujitsu-d2607/

Edited by Jonny

Thanks for the quick fix and reply Fireball3!  So running 1e.bat came back with bad command or filename since the .bat looks for the sas2flsh.exe in the same folder as the .bat so I just copied sas2flsh.exe to that same folder.  Should only take modding the path to point to any of the sub folders to make it dummy proof.

Otherwise everything went as planned.  Really I don't think there is a need for the SAS address maybe unless you have multiple cards in your system.  I used the SAS address already in the .bat and after it booted up and recognized all my drives just fine.  Hopefully my issues were due to the Supermicro controller and I'll be worry free from here on out.

Thank you for the feedback. Glad to hear it worked!

I updated the package in the original post.

@Jonny

Thank you for the heads up!

If I just could get my bricked D2607 to POST, so I could flash it with this instructions.

Anyway, I will link this in the wiki for others.

I've still not had any luck with the D2607, I got mine off of eBay quite cheap so I'm guessing there is a good chance it will be fake. I simply cannot clear the flash, the megarec -cleanflash 0 always comes back with a flash chip erasing error.

I've tried the card in two different machines, one with BIOS and one with UEFI, on the UEFI machine I've even tried disabling all UEFI boot features to see if that effected it and I've also set the card in the first (primary) PCI-E slot, still no luck.

As I understand it sas2flash won't find the adapter until the flash is cleared (in my case it didn't find it).

I guess I'll have to look at getting another card, I'm running out of space on my unRAID box very quickly.

Thanks for the help though, I do appreciate it.

As I understand it sas2flash won't find the adapter until the flash is cleared (in my case it didn't find it).

Mine showed in SAS2Flash, if you do sas2flash -list, it should show the card but then say there is no firmware or show the firmware, either way.

What model of D2607 is it? Shall have a label like D2607-A21

Try disabling any SATA controllers, USB3 Controllers in the BIOS, then plug the USB in to a USB 2 slot. I read people have had to do this.

I tried sasl2flash -listall and it said that no LSI adapters we're found. It says D2607-A21 GS 1 on the label.

I'll try it again when I get chance. It's a bit of a pain to do this in my main rig as everything is watercooled so moving my GPU about is a bit of a pain.

Thanks for your input, I'll keep you posted.

I tried sasl2flash -listall and it said that no LSI adapters we're found. It says D2607-A21 GS 1 on the label.

I'll try it again when I get chance. It's a bit of a pain to do this in my main rig as everything is watercooled so moving my GPU about is a bit of a pain.

Thanks for your input, I'll keep you posted.

I've got the same card, Using the post I make http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=12767.msg526226#msg526226

You should be able to get it working, I was only able to flash it in the first PCI 16x slot.

I've got the same card, Using the post I make http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=12767.msg526226#msg526226

You should be able to get it working, I was only able to flash it in the first PCI 16x slot.

Hi Jonny, I used your guide exactly, but I've also used guides before, I can flash the sbr/bin files just fine, but as soon as I use the megarec -cleanflash 0 command, I always get a flash error at 0%, this has been tried on two different machines also.

Skip that step and move to the efi step see if that works.

I may not have made my post clear, sorry, I've tried the efi bit (sas2flash/sas2hax), that's when it said it couldn't find the adaptor.

if the megarec can find the card it working, the reason the sas2hax can't see it as the SBR isnt correct for your card. Did you use sbrfj.bin or sbrjonny.bin

Not sure why it wont cleanflash but this guy had similar issue where it only flashed 50% and was still able to flash.