LSI Controller FW updates IR/IT modes

I have successfully flashed my new IBM m1015 to IT mode. I used the default bat steps which included the mptsas2.rom . If I don't want the rom now , which step do I need to re-do , do I need to start from the beginning as in 1.bat and so forth?

I'm not sure which toolset you're using but in principle you need:

sas2flsh.exe -l eraselog.txt -o -e 6

to erase the card (megarec is probably not working anymore once the card is on P20)

and then

sas2flsh.exe -l Flashlog.txt -o -f 2118it.bin

to flash the firmware.

If I remember correctly, there is an option to erase only the BIOS (must be another number than 6) but I have no time to

search right now.

I have successfully flashed my new IBM m1015 to IT mode. I used the default bat steps which included the mptsas2.rom . If I don't want the rom now , which step do I need to re-do , do I need to start from the beginning as in 1.bat and so forth?

I'm not sure which toolset you're using but in principle you need:

sas2flsh.exe -l eraselog.txt -o -e 6

to erase the card (megarec is probably not working anymore once the card is on P20)

and then

sas2flsh.exe -l Flashlog.txt -o -f 2118it.bin

to flash the firmware.

If I remember correctly, there is an option to erase only the BIOS (must be another number than 6) but I have no time to

search right now.

I'm using the P11 firmware provided from this forum. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Gentlemen, joined up for help with this issue. Read 'Page 1' by the OP, downloaded the tools for my 1068e, figured i would boot into WindowsPE with a Win7 USB flash disk and do the deed there, was able to backup the firmware and sucessfully flash the new IR firmware, but the .bat script stuck at the 'Resetting Controller' part, so after 30 mins i rebooted. Aaaaaaaaannnnnd now, the LSI controller is not detected at all!!

Am i screwed? I repeat, i DO have a backup of the firmware on the same USB stick.

Gentlemen, joined up for help with this issue. Read 'Page 1' by the OP, downloaded the tools for my 1068e, figured i would boot into WindowsPE with a Win7 USB flash disk and do the deed there, was able to backup the firmware and sucessfully flash the new IR firmware, but the .bat script stuck at the 'Resetting Controller' part, so after 30 mins i rebooted. Aaaaaaaaannnnnd now, the LSI controller is not detected at all!!

Am i screwed? I repeat, i DO have a backup of the firmware on the same USB stick.

Start from the beginning, with the write sbr, I though I have brick my D2607, but turns out as long as the megarec can see it its not bricked.

Ok, so i am trying what Madburg suggested to another poster in this thread who had the exact same issue as myself.

Grab a USB key, load a free version of unRAID on it, add the Linux (unRAID) LSI update package to the key as well.

Disconnect your windows HD from the system for now. Boot up with the unRAID USB stick and run the LSI update steps.

So, i have executed the "List All Adaptors.sh" before attempting anything else, and i get this:

"array found started, stop array before proceeding"

Which sounds like a good sign. Another user had the same error, but i didnt see a definitive answer for it. Whats next?

It's generally not a good idea to do the hardware flashing in Windows.

You never know, how Windows treats your hardware, what kind of drivers are in between etc.

It can work but the risk is higher to fail than in DOS.

"array found started, stop array before proceeding"

What is your card type exactly?

Link to the tools you are trying to use?

Why IR firmware?

Fireball/Jonny,

I have followed the guide at the beginning of this thread and downloaded the files from the second post. It is a LSI 1068e card embedded in a Supermicro X8DTL-3F board. I want to use IR mode so i can create a RAID10 for use as an Vmware ESXi lab/dev. As of right now, there is no OS installed, the BIOS doesnt see the card, but when using the UNRaid Server Linux on a USB stick (as referenced earlier in this thread by Madburg) I get the above mentioned error. There is one thing, this board has a confusing manual entry about 2 (or 1, its not specific) jumpers which can be moved to choose IT or IR mode. Apparently that isnt enough, as after trying numerous combinations, i searched and ended up here.

Fireball/Jonny,

I have followed the guide at the beginning of this thread and downloaded the files from the second post. It is a LSI 1068e card embedded in a Supermicro X8DTL-3F board. I want to use IR mode so i can create a RAID10 for use as an Vmware ESXi lab/dev. As of right now, there is no OS installed, the BIOS doesnt see the card, but when using the UNRaid Server Linux on a USB stick (as referenced earlier in this thread by Madburg) I get the above mentioned error. There is one thing, this board has a confusing manual entry about 2 (or 1, its not specific) jumpers which can be moved to choose IT or IR mode. Apparently that isnt enough, as after trying numerous combinations, i searched and ended up here.

Have you tried DOS and with the megarec exe, and do "Megarec -adplist" see if its see's the card?

Alright.

So I just confirmed, to crossflash Fujitsu D2607 into 9211-8i:

3 x A21 -> success

1 x A11 -> success

So here is the procedure I had to follow to make BOTH ports work on a11 and a21.

a11 - sbrfj.bin

a21 - sbrjohnny.bin

1) boot into freeDOS:

a) get your sas address by executing:

megacli -adpallinfo -aall |find /i "sas address" > sas_addr.txt

b) create a back-up of your current sbr

megarec.exe -readsbr 0 orig-sbr.bin

c) flash a11 or a21 sbr:

megarec writesbr 0 sbr-a11.bin

or

megarec writesbr 0 sbr-a21.bin

d) clean out flash

megarec -cleanflash 0

note: if you are getting an error cleaning flash, reboot and try again. might take 3-4 reboots.

e) reboot into efi shell:

note: for me the drive was fs2.

fs2:

sas2hax -o -f 2118it.bin

f) reboot into efi shell:

fs2:

sas2hax -o -f 2118it.bin -b mptsas2.rom

sas2hax -o -sasadd 5000*

note: if you don't know what your sas address is, use openssl to generate random hex characters:

openssl rand -hex 6

d847203de496

So your random SAS Address would be:

5000d847203de496

g) reboot into freedos

megarec writesbr 0 sbr-a11.bin

or

megarec writesbr 0 sbr-a21.bin

sas2flsh -o -sasadd (use same sas address from step #f)

h) reboot and enjoy!

hi, all.

i have a new supermicro server based on x9drl-7f motherboard. by mistake, i flashed wrong rom to raid controller (lsi 2208). rom was found on supermicro ftp server (ftp.supermicro.com/Driver/SAS/LSI/2208/Firmware(not_for_X9DRL-7F)/).

so, i got error "f/w is in fault state" and "adapter on baseport not responding. no megaraid adapter installed".

try recovery with LSI_PreBoot_Installer, but no result.

supermicro support says "LSI did not provide IMR firmware for this special chipset". LSI not responding, server supplier also.

can you help me solve this problem?

p.s. sorry, bad english.

Update on 07.06.2016

There is a new firmware from Avago. P20.00.07.00

The toolset has been updated accordingly. First impressions.

http://www3.zippyshare.com/v/xZKIOHaz/file.html

MD5: 24f7d428292e00f9dee6f715d8564202

This toolset worked well for me to flash a Dell Perc H310 to P20 firmware in IT mode. I don't have my cables yet, so I've not been able to put any drives on it, but so far it looks like the flashing went perfectly. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

So Jonny, i have downloaded the toolset from your "#Post" and followed the guide. I have ensured the jumpers are set correctly, in this case, for IT mode, which is the default. When running the command "megare -readsbr 0 sbrbackup.bin", i get "No MR conroller(s) found. If controller is physically present but not found, please shutdown the system and set the jumper in default position and power up".

I have tried with various combinations of the 2 relevant jumpers, with the above result both times. again, i am using an LSI 1068e.

EDIT: Fireball3, i have also tried your Dell/LSI tool, and i also get the "No MR controllers found" error at Step 2. As well, my ADAPTERS.TXT is empty of card info save for the exit code of 0x01.

Step 1 is a megacli command to grab the controller info.

This step will fail on controllers with newer firmware for some reason.

Try to use sas2flsh instead.

In the latest DELL toolset you will find the files 1e.bat and 3e.bat, which use the sas2flsh instead of the megacli respectively megarec.

1e.bat is for grabbing the adaptors info - harmless.

3e.bat is for deleting the ROM - now this is an one way ticket as I can't tell if the subsequent flashing step will work.

In contrast to the deleting step, there are several checks when a firmware is flashed. It's a bit of a risk here.

Anyway, once you decide to take that risk, it should be clear that you need to specify the correct ROM for your board in one of the 5IT...bat files!

Good luck!

Edit:

It might be useful to have a look at Supermicros tools for updating the firmware (and as a backup just in case).

Maybe you can use that but just switch the ROM?

Step 1 is a megacli command to grab the controller info.

This step will fail on controllers with newer firmware for some reason.

Try to use sas2flsh instead.

In the latest DELL toolset you will find the files 1e.bat and 3e.bat, which use the sas2flsh instead of the megacli respectively megarec.

1e.bat is for grabbing the adaptors info - harmless.

3e.bat is for deleting the ROM - now this is an one way ticket as I can't tell if the subsequent flashing step will work.

In contrast to the deleting step, there are several checks when a firmware is flashed. It's a bit of a risk here.

Anyway, once you decide to take that risk, it should be clear that you need to specify the correct ROM for your board in one of the 5IT...bat files!

Good luck!

Edit:

It might be useful to have a look at Supermicros tools for updating the firmware (and as a backup just in case).

Maybe you can use that but just switch the ROM?

Can you link the post with the download for him. He's using mine currently.