LSI Controller FW updates IR/IT modes

1 minute ago, BobPhoenix said:

Sorry to hear that.  I can tell you that it works on a SuperMicro X7SBE MB and at least one other SuperMicro Desktop C2SBA+II (if I remember model correctly anyway).

Yes, I bought an IBM x3650 M1 for extremely cheap, and got these HBA's to make a NAS using UNRaid; but no disks were showing up. If I created an array, UNraid could see the whole array, but only as 1 disk. So now I am trying to flash 1 of these controller's I got; very close to building a unit.

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, Yipee said:

I followed Bungy's suggestion to remove memory stick leaving just 1 and that seems to fix the "not enough available extended error" message. However I'm still running into other error when flashing and writing the SAS address.

Never mind. I didn't realized I had to flash the Dell firmware first then P7 and P20 in order like the instructions provided by Fireball3.

Thank you all. I appreciate all your instructions. 

7 hours ago, johnnie.black said:

DEVICE=Path\to\HIMEM.SYS
DOS=HIGH,UMB

If the USB drive has been set up according to the instructions, himemx should be running already.

"DOS=HIGH, UMB" will be added in the next update of the tool.

I need to test the recent changes on my own first.

ETA about 1-2 days.

Edited by Fireball3
6 hours ago, cstone94 said:

I've got an IBM M5015, M5014, and M1015; all of them are giving me errors. Sometime's they are PAL errors, sometimes they are No LSI adapter errors. I have tried putting them in 4 different Servers, and 3 different custom built PC's. 1 ASROCK z97 Extreme4, 1 ASUS X99-M WS, 1 ASUS Z10PE-D16 WS. 

I'm not sure about the M50xx, are they compatible for cross-flashing?

Edit: My google-fu reveals that those cards are not convertible to a plain HBA!

You can overcome the PAL error by using an UEFI boot stick. See Rich's post.

It should be possible to do everything in an UEFI environment - at least for the M1015, which seems easier to flash than the DELL cards.

Edited by Fireball3
6 hours ago, Fireball3 said:

I'm not sure about the M50xx, are they compatible for cross-flashing?

Edit: My google-fu reveals that those cards are not convertible to a plain HBA!

You can overcome the PAL error by using an UEFI boot stick. See Rich's post.

It should be possible to do everything in an UEFI environment - at least for the M1015, which seems easier to flash than the DELL cards.

I got my hands on an LGA775 board. The 1015 still gives me No MR Controllers found. the 5014 on the other hand, I was able to find it, and go a clean flash on it. Will post back the result.

Edit: Yes, the 5014 is flashable; https://www.servethehome.com/flash-ibm-serveraid-m5014-lsi-92608i-firmware/

Edited by cstone94
  • Upvote 1
23 minutes ago, cstone94 said:

I got my hands on an LGA775 board. The 1015 still gives me No MR Controllers found. the 5014 on the other hand, I was able to find it, and go a clean flash on it. Will post back the result.

Which progam is returning that?

megacli? megarec? sas2flsh?

Sure, but the 9260-8i is not an HBA isn't it?

1 minute ago, Fireball3 said:

Which progam is returning that?

megacli? megarec? sas2flsh?

MegaRec

Sure, but the 9260-8i is not an HBA isn't it?

No - but since the M1015 is giving me errors, I have no choice but to use the 5014 and maybe set it up using another OS.

BUT;  I just flashed the 5014, let it flash each sector; got to the end where it showed me Success. Shut down the LGA775 machine, installed it back into the x3650 server and got RAID Controller SBR Corrupt or Bad error.........

1 hour ago, Fireball3 said:

Since that is also an IBM machine, maybe there is some check for "IBM" hardware that throws this out.

Maybe there is an option to disable this feature in BIOS?

Mmmmm, not sure on that. I had the 5014 working at one time, WebGui showed my 8TB drives, but I guess I should have just ran with Windows Server 2012 and set it up as a file server. I successfully flashed it again, and now I get raid adapter memory error check sdram... 

Edit: M5014 successfully flashed to 9260-8i, but UNRaid still shows no disks.

Edited by cstone94
9 hours ago, Fireball3 said:

Is there a way I can improve something for better understanding or did you just not read the instructions first? O.o

It was just me not following instructions correctly. I didn't realize that you need to flash the Dell firmware first before going to the next step. I thought that step was only for people that wanted the Dell firmware so I jumped right to flashing the P20 firmware. Maybe adding a note that flashing the Dell firmware is required before proceeding to next step for people like myself :)

Thank you very much for the instructions though. I got the card up and running great so far.

Should anybody still need the ISO recommended in this old post (I would not recommend buying DELL SaS 6/ir cards in this day and age since they the hardware only supports 2TB drives max) but if you have them, why not use them with proper firmware.

It seems the link is down, so it's now available in a 7zipfile here:  https://mega.nz/#!UgAXBTRQ!_GH26z-lOIJWB0ol24ryAJ8pXUjrWhd5VE7iB_Q7LL8

And is also linked in this post.

I contains firmware for LSI 1068E 3080/3081/3800/3801/3442/3041/3444/31601 for IR and IT mode.
It also has the Dell SAS6/iR firmware for this card should you want to flash it back to a Dell card.

Name: sas6iflashcd.7z
Size: 1599173 bytes (1 MB)

CRC64: 1E5447B82A6AE64D

SHA256: 4D4BBE0ADF3FCE685D7F7F9F43160EDE0AC970AC38BFBF3C07650ADF184BF435

SHA1: 987EBD913E1CC7886429BCE01B7AD04EDA63BD1E

Name: sas6iflashcd.iso
Size: 15316992 bytes (14 MB)

CRC64: A88C23086536667D

SHA256: 31B23B2B2B3716BB1B261687CF376E619AEE491442D9E76AE2188482379E7E29

SHA1: EDA221F4DC933711222EA415FD72D7CA546CB7B8

sas6iflashcd.7z

• Upvote 1

Hoping someone might be able to help. Having some issues with the LSI SAS9211-8i in IT mode, the seller (ebay) flashed it to P19. From what I understand, this should be compatible.

For some reason unraid is not recognizing any disks attached to the card. When booting my system I am successfully seeing the LSI BIOS page prior to unraid booting.

Is there some other configuration I need to do to enable disk detection?

EDIT: Is there a special type of flashing to IT required for unraid? Perhaps the ebay seller did it some other way..

Edited by trionify
added question
1 hour ago, trionify said:

NORCO C-SFF8087-4S Discrete to SFF-8087 (Reverse breakout) Cable

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816133033

If you are connecting the drives to the SATA end then I'm pretty sure you need forward breakout cables. Reverse are used to plug the SATA end into the motherboard or HBA controller and connect the miniSAS end to a hotswap drive box or backplane.

7 hours ago, jonathanm said:

If you are connecting the drives to the SATA end then I'm pretty sure you need forward breakout cables. Reverse are used to plug the SATA end into the motherboard or HBA controller and connect the miniSAS end to a hotswap drive box or backplane.

Thank you! Bought some forward breakout cables and that fixed it.

Cheers

Hi :)

I have X8DT3-F supermacro server with embeded (LSI1068e on B3 chip) that it seems is not a real hardware raid controller and is just HBA with SAS connector, thaks to SuperMacro and LSI.I tried to upgrade with supermicro firmware and it failed for error both on IR and IT: product id dont match.
So (based on this guide )  tried firmware from broadcom and got this error: Product ID and vendor ID do not match. on broadcom search I select Group:Legacy Family:Legay Host Bus Adapter, but for Producy name Im not sure which one is correct name for 1068e? I tried 3081E-R and 3442E-R with same error.

What is wrong in my upgrade? which one is correct version?

Edited by yaldex
1 hour ago, yaldex said:

Hi :)

What is wrong in my upgrade? which one is correct version

Hi and welcome to the forum!

From how you try to flash this and that, it seems you're quite a brave one! :D

I didn't read your linked guide, but it sounds pretty much like what ghostboarder has done recently.

You may want to read up the whole story and see if you can get it done.

• Upvote 1
On 8/21/2013 at 7:59 AM, Fireball3 said:

LSI MegaRAID with SAS2008 chipsets

3) DELL Perc H310 as well as H200 Flashed successfully to LSI9211-8i IT (P20)

Update on 23.02.2017

Firmware is still P20.00.07.00

[...]

Added script for automatic SAS address extraction. No reboot necessary any more.

https://www.mediafire.com/?0op114fpim9xwwf

Make sure you read and understand the __READMEFIRST.txt before starting!

WOW... EASIEST flash process ever on this Ebay Dell PERC H310!  THANK YOU @Fireball3

Followed the READMEFIRST... and after unziping the contents into the bootable usb (per rufus)...

Everything was self guided!  (Though some steps take a LONG time)

• 1.bat  (used camera to take a picture of sas address)
  • 2.bat
  • 3.bat 
  • 5ITDELL.bat
  • 5ITP7.bat
  • 5ITP20.bat
  • 6.bat (auto pulled sas address perfectly matches what was shown in 1.bat)

Now I have an LSI SAS2008(B2) with no silly boot spinups :)

Edited by landS

I got my Dell H310 Perc off ebay today.  Planning to try to flash it tonight.  I downloaded the latest toolset from 

The toolset includes a Rufus exe... but I don't currently have a windows machine.  Is there an easy way to create the needed bootable USB using either Mac OSX or Linux?

Can I just download the FreeDOS Lite v1.2 from http://www.freedos.org/download/  and use dd to create the bootable flash drive?

...Sadly that did not work, the image created a bootable drive with no extra space

Edited by progrock
12 minutes ago, progrock said:

I got my Dell H310 Perc off ebay today.  Planning to try to flash it tonight.  I downloaded the latest toolset from 

The toolset includes a Rufus exe... but I don't currently have a windows machine.  Is there an easy way to create the needed bootable USB using either Mac OSX or Linux?

Can I just download the FreeDOS Lite v1.2 from http://www.freedos.org/download/  and use dd to create the bootable flash drive?

Just for info if you have problems with the H310 after! ;)

1 hour ago, progrock said:

You can try this.

https://unetbootin.github.io/

It is similar to rufus but for other platforms too.

@landS

Thanks for your feedback with that H310!

Hope you meant that 6.bat pulled that SAS address ;-)

Edited by Fireball3
22 hours ago, Fireball3 said:

Hi and welcome to the forum!

From how you try to flash this and that, it seems you're quite a brave one! :D

I didn't read your linked guide, but it sounds pretty much like what ghostboarder has done recently.

You may want to read up the whole story and see if you can get it done.

ooops, feelig stupid :'(
After downloadig toolset and run 1.bat I cheked ADAPTERS.TXT and just found this: Exit Code: 0x01

1068e-sas.thumb.jpg.7e93237bcd34ba9f6acb8d0aa610bc9e.jpg
I guess this is not my device address so what can I do now? device is acceable from windows and showing disks.

Edited by yaldex