LSI Controller FW updates IR/IT modes

OK, ran into first issue... hopefully the only one, tho it is sorta a big one... nothing broke, but nothing worked.

So I made my bootable USB by downloading a FreeDOS v1.1 .img and using dd command to write the USB drive.

I boot up a system that has only the Dell Perc H310 in the PCI/-E slots of it, off of the Bootable USB... the H310 has nothing connected to it, all HDs also disconnected from motherboard.  The first thing I get is the "PowerEdge Expandable Raid Controller BIOS" bootup... and then it says 0 drives found.... and asks me to press C to configure the LSI card, or any key to continue.  Hitting any key to continue brought me to the booted up FreeDOS to the DOS prompt.  I then run 1.bat.  Surprisingly (considering I just watched the LSI Bios boot) 1.bat output says

"No LSI SAS Adapters found! Limited Command Set Available"

I ran 1b.bat and it FOUND the controller and has a SAS address in there.

But, if the then run 2.bat, I get the no lsi sas adapters error again.

Edited by progrock

Got it flashed successfully... after about 15 tries.

So, after having MULTIPLE bootable FreeDos images not working with multiple errors, from couldn't find any LSI adapters (right after I see the LSI bios boot, haha) to not enough memory or some other junk.  I finally got the FULL FreeDOS 1.2 (tho I removed the games and a few other thing since I didn't have the room for everything I needed).

Now I had previously gotten my SAS Address from running 1b.bat.... so had that saved and no need to worry there.  Sadly even with the Full 1.2 FreeDOS, the other sas2flash.exe just wouldn't work, wouldn't see my adapter.  I ended up getting the larger set of files found in this write-up:

https://techmattr.wordpress.com/2016/04/11/updated-sas-hba-crossflashing-or-flashing-to-it-mode-dell-perc-h200-and-h310/

Finally got these 2 commands to work:

megarec.exe -writesbr 0 sbrempty.bin

megarec.exe -cleanflash 0

I then booted into UEFI through my Bios (the UEFI that was included in the zip file from the above link)... and flashed my bios 3 times (as it seems to be recommended), followed by adding my SAS address back in.

Anyway, everything went extremely smoothly this last go. I gotta go pickup my SAS to SATA cables at the amazon locker a few blocks away.... and will test this things out.

• Upvote 1
12 hours ago, progrock said:

"No LSI SAS Adapters found! Limited Command Set Available"

This means sas2flsh.exe can't detect the card. I wonder why.

I ran 1b.bat and it FOUND the controller and has a SAS address in there.

MegaCli seems to get the job done. With the H200 controllers this usually throws the "Exit Code: 0x01" error.

Not sure if this is related to the controller or the DOS4GW not working properly with freeDOS.

Can you pm me the zipped logs directory with all the logs?

@landS Would you please also pm me your zipped logs directory (without the .sbr and .bin files)?

But, if the then run 2.bat, I get the no lsi sas adapters error again.

Yes, the backups are also done with sas2flsh.exe. I hope there is some info in the Adapters.txt why sas2flsh is not recognizing those card.

Maybe an old firmware revision?

I experienced this issue the other way round when using the old toolset on the H200 cards. (1b.bat was 1.bat at that time)

10 hours ago, progrock said:

Finally got these 2 commands to work:

megarec.exe -writesbr 0 sbrempty.bin

megarec.exe -cleanflash 0

That would have been 3b.bat. In fact, step 2 is just doing backups. You could have continued with 3b.bat without problems.

After the 3b step and a mandatory reboot, sas2flsh should detect the card without issue so that steps 4 to 6 should have worked too.

I will point that out in the readme.

• Upvote 1
19 hours ago, yaldex said:

I guess this is not my device address so what can I do now? device is acceable from windows and showing disks.

Edited 17 hours ago by yaldex

Apparently the toolset used for the H310 and H200 controllers won't do the job with that 1068e chipset!

If you followed the whole conversation, that I previously linked for you, between us and ghostboarder, you would have finally come to this post:

Now you just need to find out which package @ghostboarder downloaded and use that one!

If you're not sure, drop him a pm and see if he can assist in detail.

• Upvote 2
  • 2 weeks later...

@Fireball3, sorry I read your note for the log request AFTER clearing out the logs folder for the 2nd card flash… and What a ride…

My first Dell Perc H310 Flashed out of the box using your 2017.02.23 zip so I ebayed a second one to flash from the exact same hardware using the same untouched flash drive.  This machine and flash drive have sat untouched other than to delete the log files and swap the first PERC H310 for the 2nd one.   http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=12767.msg259006#msg259006

While the second one’s default boot configuration  (Ctrl+R?) could be entered to confirm the card/firmware/etc, Sas2Flsh refused to recognize the chipset as an LSI.  The error messages is "No LSI SAS adapters found!"

The solution was to prep the USB drive as referenced in Fireball3’s 2017.02.23 update, then overwrite the contents with LSI-9211-8i.zip from https://techmattr.wordpress.com/2016/04/11/updated-sas-hba-crossflashing-or-flashing-to-it-mode-dell-perc-h200-and-h310/

Once in Free_Dos

·         megacli.exe -AdpAllInfo -aAll -page 20

·         Note: Write down SAS address, will need to press down key a couple of times to retrieve it.

·         megarec.exe -writesbr 0 sbrempty.bin; megarec.exe -cleanflash 0

·         Note: Hard Reboot

·         megarec.exe -writesbr 0 sbrempty.bin; megarec.exe -cleanflash 0

·         1.bat

·         Note: expect a failure message asking for firmware

·         2118it.bin

·         3.bat

·         5ITDELL.bat

·         Note: The first time will fail, type:

·         2118it.bin

·         5ITDELL.bat

·         5ITP7.bat

·         5ITP20.bat

·         6.bat

·         Note: will fail, but can now type

·         sas2flsh –o –sasadd YourSasAddressFrom1Step1

·         1.bat

·         Note: should now show LSI SAS2008(B2).  Look at Logs/Adapter.txt and the Manually entered SAS address should be displayed.

·        Powered down

I Installed a dummy Unraid onto the same Flash Drive, noted that the SAS card's boot menu is now skipped as expected, booted into GUI mode, and I can see a Hard Drive attached to line 0 on adapter A slot ready for assignment on the MAIN tab. 

Under the Hardware Tab I see the SAS adapter listed.    

Anything else I should look at before trusting this card? 

THANKS!

Edited by landS
  • Like 1

I read your note for the log request AFTER clearing out the logs folder

Too bad, and from what I can see there is no log from this second card also.

The solution was to prep the USB drive as referenced

I can't check what is in that referenced zip but from the commands you issued, I can say that this zip is not necessary.

Those commands are used in the ...b.bat files (1b.bat and 3b.bat) in case of failure.
I didn't mention this as I didn't expect such a scenario, but the files are included in the latest toolset v1.

megacli.exe -AdpAllInfo -aAll -page 20
Note: Write down SAS address, will need to press down key a couple of times to retrieve it.

megarec.exe -writesbr 0 sbrempty.bin; megarec.exe -cleanflash 0
Note: Hard Reboot
megarec.exe -writesbr 0 sbrempty.bin; megarec.exe -cleanflash 0

This is what 1b.bat and 3b.bat also do.
Why execute the megarec... twice?

1.bat
Note: expect a failure message asking for firmware
2118it.bin

Once step 3 is executed (3b.bat) it makes no sense to query adapters settings because it was cleaned.

3.bat
5ITDELL.bat
Note: The first time will fail, type:
2118it.bin

Here, I can't tell exactly what should happen.
Clear once again and the flash DELL fw!?
Fail will most likely occur after 3.bat, not after 5ITDELL.bat...

6.bat
Note: will fail, but can now type

This fails because the adapters.txt from step 1 is not present.

TLDR:
If 1.bat fails, revert to 1b.bat!
Ignore the error thrown from step 2 - it's only the backup step.
Use 3b.bat if 3.bat fails.
PM me the adapters.txt if you had to use the ...b.bat files.

Edited by Fireball3
  • Upvote 1
11 hours ago, Fireball3 said:

from what I can see there is no log from this second card also.

correct.  I just re-ran your tool and this time it ran from 1.bat->6.bat with no issue.

Check your PM... perhaps something useful may be gleaned from the data?

In regards to most WHY questions... these are the steps that 'finally' worked on this second H310 card.

11 hours ago, Fireball3 said:

TLDR:
PM me the adapters.txt if you had to use the ...b.bat files.

Not to be crass, but I would LOVE to see this blurb added to the end of your __READMEFIRST.txt guide.

Thanks again for the awesome toolset :)

16 hours ago, landS said:

correct.  I just re-ran your tool and this time it ran from 1.bat->6.bat with no issue.

Check your PM... perhaps something useful may be gleaned from the data?

This kind of info is not necessary.

I need the adapters properties before it is flashed. I expect some differences in firmware versions that are responsible for success or failure.

16 hours ago, landS said:

Not to be crass, but I would LOVE to see this blurb added to the end of your __READMEFIRST.txt guide.

No, it's OK.

As already said, I didn't expect this to happen. I even thought of removing the ...b-files completely from the set.

I will also issue a new version with some advice in case of failure.

Edited by Fireball3
  • Upvote 1

Thanks for adding this blurb in the Wiki Linked forum post :)

Hopefully if anyone else gets a hold of one of the troublesome H310 cards, the 1b.bat and 3b.bat files will treat them well AND you will be able to automate the process using the proper logs.  (unless they are a stubborn mule like myself) 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/21/2013 at 7:59 AM, Fireball3 said:

-SNIP-

Update on 23.02.2017

Firmware is still P20.00.07.00

Uses sas2flsh through the whole process.

Tested on a "backflashed" H200, to be confirmed on a stock H200 card and on H310's.

Card backup is now dumping the full flash. This can be used to restore the initial condition of the card.

Added script for automatic SAS address extraction. No reboot necessary any more.

https://www.mediafire.com/?0op114fpim9xwwf

MD5: to be generated

Due to missing UEFI environment, no changes nor testing with UEFI shell.

Preliminary important note - will be part of next version:

The remaining steps should run as expected.
PM me the adapters.txt and tell me which files did it for you.

If you experience the "failed to initialize PAL" error somewhere in step 5, you have to boot from

UEFI shell and try again or use another mainboard. See here how to use UEFI shell (Kudos 2 Maglin).

Make sure you read and understand the __READMEFIRST.txt before starting!

If you experience troubles or something is not clear, don't hesitate to ask for help.

You can help improving the howto by doing so. Chances are small but you can brick the controller!

Does anyone know what to do if it says LSI adapter not found? I can get in to the bios of the H310 but, the 1.bat from the 2017 zip files say it find none. I tried searching "LSI adapter not found" in the search box above.

Edited by cdoublejj
5 hours ago, cdoublejj said:

Does anyone know what to do if it says LSI adapter not found? I can get in to the bios of the H310 but, the 1.bat from the 2017 zip files say it find none. I tried searching "LSI adapter not found" in the search box above.

Do pretty much that, what is written in the notes you quoted:

5 hours ago, cdoublejj said:

Preliminary important note - will be part of next version:

The remaining steps should run as expected.
PM me the adapters.txt and tell me which files did it for you.

Please remove the full quote of that post and insert a link instead.

Thanks!

• Upvote 1
11 hours ago, cdoublejj said:

Does anyone know what to do if it says LSI adapter not found? 

I had the exact same issue on my second H310 and found a working solution of which I posted just 2 or 3 posts up from this one.

Cheers

On 3/14/2017 at 2:43 PM, landS said:

While the second one’s default boot configuration  (Ctrl+R?) could be entered to confirm the card/firmware/etc, Sas2Flsh refused to recognize the chipset as an LSI.  The error messages is "No LSI SAS adapters found!"

Turns out what I did was convoluted and Fireball3 has a better method for versions of the Dell Perc H310 that are not initially recognized as an LSI adapter by his lovely flashing script!

Try running 1b.bat rather than 1.bat... ignoring 2.bat's error... and then running 3b.bat rather than 3.bat.

Once done... PM Fireball3 your fresh adapter.txt which will now be located on the USB drive used for the flashing.

ta ta

Fireball3 , i got a Dell H310

i'm a little confused on what procedure to use and what version for IT mode, can you please confirm to me what is actually the right procedure and best version to flash?

i read that P20 version has some problems/issues, by the way, you are using P19 version

another thing, Official Dell H310 IT Mode Firmware seems to be the easiest and fastest method... but is based on an old lsi firmware version

THANKS !!!

Edited by Carmico
18 hours ago, Fireball3 said:

Do pretty much that, what is written in the notes you quoted:

Please remove the full quote of that post and insert a link instead.

Thanks!

Fair enough, how do i know if i bricked it? 

EDIT: NVM, i just saw the bios for it pop up.

Edited by cdoublejj
16 hours ago, Carmico said:

i'm a little confused on what procedure to use and what version for IT mode, can you please confirm to me what is actually the right procedure and best version to flash?

i read that P20 version has some problems/issues, by the way, you are using P19 version

another thing, Official Dell H310 IT Mode Firmware seems to be the easiest and fastest method... but is based on an old lsi firmware version

I have just updated the toolset for the dell cards.

It's safe to use the P20.00.07.00 that is in the package. P20.00.00.00 had issues, that's right.

@cdoublejj

Did you flash a BIOS?

Please remove the quote, as it contains old information (links)! People finding this via the forum search might get confused.

Leaving a link to the post instead is better! Thanks!

Edited by Fireball3
On 21/8/2013 at 2:59 PM, Fireball3 said:

If you experience the "failed to initialize PAL" error somewhere in step 5, you have to boot from

UEFI shell and try again

i'm stucked here because "failed to initialize PAL" on step 5.3, this after step 3 and reboot...

so boot on EFI Shell, take in -> fs0: ... but don't know what steps to do here

1gVd5WJ.jpg

Edited by Carmico
1 hour ago, johnnie.black said:

That's another problem, IIRC you need to flash an earlier firmware first.

yes, flashing step 5.1 now

i think i found the problem, in the last package, there's no sas2flash.efi file in the 5_DELL_IT directory

Edited by Carmico

DONE

flashed 5.1, 5.2 and 5.3 on efi, 100% complete

but fuck, have another problem now!!!

don't have anymore the SAS address ............................. because i just reformated with refus the whole package from the start to try the flash again , and lost everything of step 1 and step 2....

and now?! i don't see stickers on the card with sas address

MtC2XYx.jpg yn2EOJd.jpg

Edited by Carmico
14 hours ago, johnnie.black said:

Already replied in the PM, in my experience it works the same without them, but you can generate a random one, see the end of this post:

solved assignin a random sas address

The High part of the SAS address for LSI controllers is '500605B'
The other nine numbers can be anything you want.

So you could make it '500605BXXXXXXXXXX'

sas2flash -o -sasaddr 500605BXXXXXXXXXX

;)