LSI Controller FW updates IR/IT modes

So I got everything updated but one of the H310s now has a flashing orange light on it. Is this something failed on the card or is it indicating something else, being that it is flashed I am not sure if the Dell codes are the same.
If the card is bad, can the H310 be mixed in with a Supermicro AOC-SAS2LP-MV8 OR should I just pull both Dell 310s and replace with the Supermicro AOC-SAS2LP-MV8 and order a replacement if there is an issue with the card?

As an update, I swapped cables and the orange light is still on the same controller card :(

Edited by crowdx42

So I have attached the Adapters.txt file for the adapter which is having issues, it looks like it is an older adapter than the one which is working. It does show a green flashing light the same as the working one when the machine boots, it is only when unRAID is booting that the light goes to a blinking orange and stays like that.

One other point, when I was flashing the cards, I was not asked for the serial to input? Is that piece no longer part of the process?  Also I had some difficulties with the flashing process which had me manually run the sas2flash.efi to manually update the cards as the nsh file for 5itp.nsh did not work correctly.

ADAPTERS 2ND CARD.TXT

Edited by crowdx42

A dump of a flashed controller should look like this:

C:\SAS2FLSH.EXE -l Adapters.txt -c 0 -list
    Adapter Selected is a LSI SAS: SAS2008(B2)   

Controller Number              : 0
    Controller                     : SAS2008(B2)   
    PCI Address                    : 00:01:00:00
    SAS Address                    : 5b083fe-0-daa2-1d00
    NVDATA Version (Default)       : 14.01.00.08
    NVDATA Version (Persistent)    : 14.01.00.08
    Firmware Product ID            : 0x2213 (IT)
    Firmware Version               : 20.00.07.00
    NVDATA Vendor                  : LSI
    NVDATA Product ID              : SAS9211-8i
    BIOS Version                   : N/A
    UEFI BSD Version               : N/A
    FCODE Version                  : N/A
    Board Name                     : SAS9211-8i
    Board Assembly                 : N/A
    Board Tracer Number            : N/A

Finished Processing Commands Successfully.
    Exiting SAS2Flash.

You can read Vendor LSI, Firmware Version 20.00.07.00, no BIOS

Did you post the Adapters.txt from the logs directory or did you do a new dump after the flash.

The logs directory contains only the original dump unless you run step 1 again, after the flash is complete.

I'm not sure what you posted now, because of your question here.

Edited by Fireball3

So the error I am seeing at step 5.1 is that there are no LSI adapters, it is also saying it cannot create the command -1 . I presume the tool is complaining that there is no lsi adapter but I would also assume there is a way to have it skip that check and just go ahead and flash the card as we already wiped the card in the 3rd bat file.

Edited by crowdx42
  • 2 weeks later...

OK I seem to have flashed my Dell H200 correctly, it all seemed to go well and I got the "enjoy your..." message. 

But when I put it into the server it does not show anything onscreen about a LSI or Dell card being present and once booted the hard drives are not visible.

Anything I should look for? Try?

Well you could try running 1.bat again and check the adapters.txt file to see what it shows. I finally got two 310s flashed with tons of help from Fireball, the second card I had was a bad one and I had to buy another, I now have two fully functioning 310s and also seems to be fine.

41 minutes ago, ridley said:

OK I seem to have flashed my Dell H200 correctly, it all seemed to go well and I got the "enjoy your..." message. 

But when I put it into the server it does not show anything onscreen about a LSI or Dell card being present and once booted the hard drives are not visible.

Anything I should look for? Try?

Well after some fiddling about, reseating cables, swapping the order of the cards it now seems to be working. (Fingers crossed) Running some checks now.

• 1 month later...
On 21/08/2013 at 6:59 AM, Fireball3 said:

After successfully bricking the Fujitsu D2607 by downflashing it  :'(

I'm proud to be able to contribute to this thread and hereby report:

LSI MegaRAID with SAS2008 chipsets

3) DELL Perc H310 as well as H200 Flashed successfully to LSI9211-8i IT (P20)

3TB Drive Support with this card: YES (UPDATE: 5.0Beta7 added 3TB Drive support)

Drive Spin Down support: YES (UPDATE: Added as of 5.0Beta7)

Drive Temp Readings: YES

Toolset_PercH310 to LSIMegaraid.zip (DOS, via bootable usb key)

http://www45.zippyshare.com/v/51016808/file.html (for some reason I can't embed the link...)

MD5:80174075959fb7d1ff8c6362f7241bfe

Update on 06.08.2014

Included the P19 firmware

http://www21.zippyshare.com/v/9541812/file.html

Update on 01.12.2014

Possible issues with P20 firmware! See this post and this.

Update on 23.10.2015

There is an new version of Avago (former LSI) P20 (20.00.04.00) which seems to be OK with unRAID. See this post.

Update on 15.09.2015

User opentoe found out that the DELL IT firmware is also working with unRAID.

It's your decision what to flash. Flashing DELL firmware is easier and supported by DELL!

opentoe's verdict on DELL IT or Avago (former LSI).

Update on 07.06.2016

There is a new firmware from Avago. P20.00.07.00

The toolset has been updated accordingly. First impressions.

http://www3.zippyshare.com/v/xZKIOHaz/file.html

https://www.mediafire.com/?8f82hx4c032a929

MD5: 24f7d428292e00f9dee6f715d8564202

Update on 30.12.2016

Firmware is still P20.00.07.00

Switch to RUFUS for bootdisk creation.

Added alternative ways to extract controller info if MegaCli is not working.

https://www.mediafire.com/?9cbklh4i1002n23

MD5: 7d90f84c831e8b939c5536d9eb03ba81

Update on 23.02.2017

Uses sas2flsh through the whole process.

Tested on a "backflashed" H200, to be confirmed on a stock H200 card and on H310's.

Card backup is now dumping the full flash. This can be used to restore the initial condition of the card.

Added script for automatic SAS address extraction. No reboot necessary any more.

https://www.mediafire.com/?0op114fpim9xwwf

MD5: 2fbe3d562846e493714a9e8ac3f15923

Due to missing UEFI environment, no changes nor testing with UEFI shell.

Update on 30.03.2017, v2

Spiced up the routines with some checks to automatically select the right tool if one is not working.

Tested on a stock H310 as well as a H200 - works for me. Post your experience in the forum.

https://www.mediafire.com/?6b77v4s7czluvs2

MD5: 6cb92336ff537aeb838085a028aa6601

Update on 11.04.2017, v3

Added files for use in an EFI environment. Untested due to missing hardware.

Post your experience in the forum.

https://www.mediafire.com/?9ovj2rxuaf43wv4

MD5: t.b.d.

Update on 17.04.2017, v4 <--- this is the latest, use this one!

Corrections for EFI environment. Untested due to missing hardware.

Post your experience in the forum.

https://www.mediafire.com/?py9c1w5u56xytw2

MD5: t.b.d.

If you experience the "failed to initialize PAL" error somewhere in step 5, you have to boot from

UEFI shell and try again or use another mainboard. See here how to use UEFI shell (Kudos 2 Maglin).

Make sure you read and understand the __READMEFIRST.txt before starting!

If you experience troubles or something is not clear, don't hesitate to ask for help.

You can help improving the howto by doing so. Chances are small but you can brick the controller!

Can you update the "See here how to use UEFI shell" link, it's not working. 

I have 3 h310 cards I need to flash to IT mode however I am not able to do this in DOS.

Thanks

On 12/31/2016 at 5:20 PM, Jonny said:

Hi Guys,

I have found another fix for some issues people are getting with the Fujitsu D2607. I had these issues my self. I had to use DOS and UEFI for this, because the sas2flash(sas2hax) efi version has only been patched.

This allowed me to flash it to p20 straight with out needing to go to DELL then p7 then P20.

Also fixes an issue where people were getting only one SAS port working.

Steps

Create DOS USB using RUFUS and copy these files to the USB

Follow guide using the files below on a USB. sas2flsh.efi is renamed to sas2hax.efi on these files.

SBR SBR-A11.bin or SBR-A21.bin should get it working. Contains, p19 sas2flash thats been patched, P20 IT and IR Modes.

Mirror #1: https://mega.nz/#!T8cSRSwL!UUo72yqq-ov2ulKgaznP8vgVeE_zBMdpBQ7ZB2LvfO8

Mirror #2: http://www62.zippyshare.com/v/lQHpaKqv/file.html

Use "SBR-A11.bin" for A11 model and the SBR-A21.bin for A21 model.

You can find more help cross flashing the D2607 card here

https://marcan.st/2016/05/crossflashing-the-fujitsu-d2607/

Thank you so much for the detailed instructions.  I was finally able to flash the -A21 card. Now need to test if it can see all 8 drives. I've already spent 5+ hours on this process in the last few days. Was having trouble flashing with sbr-a21, sbrempty.  Not sure which sbr finally worked -- sbr-a11 or sbrfj

Megarec did not have any issue with -cleanflash on the first try itself.  sas2hax.efi did have issues even on the (seemingly) successful attempt while trying to issue reset.

I got the following message.  

Adapter reset failed!

Firmware fault occured. Fault code 704

Due to error remaining commands will not be executed

unable process commands

exiting sas2flash

Rebooted and sas2hax and sas2flash(p20) could see the card and I could add the SAS Address and issue list, reset commands. So cautiously optimistic

I've yesterday tried sas2hax -e 7, 4 and 8. Need to see if I need add any other info such as VPD etc to make sure it's not missing required.  If I need any 6gbps HBAs in the future, think I'll stick with H310s as they seem to be fairly straight forward.  

Alright let me shed some light on how flashing of Fujitsu D2607 is actually done to be successful. I've flashed about 20 of them by now.

--

Boot into FreeDOS:

Get your current SAS Addres:

1) MegaCli.exe -AdpAllInfo -aAll |find /i "sas address" > sas_addr.txt

Write down your SAS Address:

type sas_addr.txt

Read your current SBR:
2) MegaRec.exe -readsbr 0 orig.sbr

Cleanflash (yes, do this first or it might fail)

3) MegaRec.exe -cleanflash 0

Flash based on a11 or a21 model:

4) 
MegaRec.exe -writesbr 0 sbr-a21.bin
or
MegaRec.exe -writesbr 0 sbr-a11.bin

Cleanflash again (yes, do this second time because you flashed another SBR):

5) MegaRec.exe -cleanflash 0

Boot into EFI shell and navigate to the USB, your device might be fs0, fs1, fs2, fsN (where N is the number):
fs0:

Flash the 9211 Firmware:

sas2hax -o -f 2118it.bin

Note: Ignore the warning about failed to reset adapter after flashing, this is expected.

reboot into EFI:

Flash 9211 Firmware and BIOS:

sas2hax -o -f 2118it.bin -b mptsas2.rom

Add your SAS Address that you got

sas2hax -o -sasadd <sas address from sas_addr.txt>

Boot into FreeDOS:

You need to reflash the SBR for both ports to work:

or

** DONE **

--

Edited by ezhik
  • Upvote 2

@ezhik Thanks!  I'm sure these instructions will help many folks.

I've reflashed the SBR-A21. I will need to check if it can see drives on both ports and run some tests later.  I know it can see the drives on the port it wasn't before. But I didn't check the port that was seeing drives before reflashing SBR can still see them.

I'm sure have missed the cleanflash after writing the sbr. sas2hax failed validating the MfgPage2. So I tried multiple times over a span of couple of days and the last flash was successful (with the error I listed in my previous post)

I get warnings (IO Base address high or something like that) while running megarec on my SM X10SRA efi board. So just to be safe I do all my DOS tasks on an old Dell T3400 (Core2 Duo) I keep for these purposes.  It's kinda PITA moving the card between machines but guess I'll have to get used to it when it requires both EFI & DOS to complete the flash. 

5 hours ago, ezhik said:

Alright let me shed some light on how flashing of Fujitsu D2607 is actually done to be successful. I've flashed about 20 of them by now.

--

Boot into FreeDOS:

type sas_addr.txt

Read your current SBR:

4) 
or

Boot into EFI shell and navigate to the USB, your device might be fs0, fs1, fs2, fsN (where N is the number):
fs0:

Flash the 9211 Firmware:

sas2hax -o -f 2118it.bin

Note: Ignore the warning about failed to reset adapter after flashing, this is expected.

reboot into EFI:

Boot into FreeDOS:

or

** DONE **

--

Comment to ezhiks procedure:

Basically also worked for me on a D2607.A21 which I obtained with very old firmware from 2010,  with the exception that I got the Mfg Page 2 error even with sas2hax and the A21-SBR, SBRempty etc. loaded. I had to use an old SBRIR.bin from an old Supermicro SAS2008 package to get the adapter to flash. Result was that I only got one port working. That was fixed when flashing the sbr-A21.bin on the end as described here.  Puuh, was a very long process. BTW: I used the IR firmware.

The adapter is installed in a M5A99X EVO R2, and shall boot an Raid0 in UEFI/GPT mode. Do I need to flash the UEFI BSD too?

Thanks, rolfie

[mention=70803]ezhik[/mention] Thanks!  I'm sure these instructions will help many folks.

I've reflashed the SBR-A21. I will need to check if it can see drives on both ports and run some tests later.  I know it can see the drives on the port it wasn't before. But I didn't check the port that was seeing drives before reflashing SBR can still see them.

I'm sure have missed the cleanflash after writing the sbr. sas2hax failed validating the MfgPage2. So I tried multiple times over a span of couple of days and the last flash was successful (with the error I listed in my previous post)

I get warnings (IO Base address high or something like that) while running megarec on my SM X10SRA efi board. So just to be safe I do all my DOS tasks on an old Dell T3400 (Core2 Duo) I keep for these purposes.  It's kinda PITA moving the cardr between machines but guess I'll have to get used to it when it requires both EFI & DOS to complete the flash. 

On 2017-6-3 at 1:53 PM, ezhik said:

--

Boot into FreeDOS:

type sas_addr.txt

Read your current SBR:

4) 
or

fs0:

Flash the 9211 Firmware:

sas2hax -o -f 2118it.bin

reboot into EFI:

Boot into FreeDOS:

or

** DONE **

--

Thanks for the info

I'll try doing the cleanflash before on the set next of cards I'm getting. If it works well, I'll update my guide post :)

I've had a few cards were sbr-a11.bin and sbr-a21.bin didn't get the second sas port working on a A21 Card. I created a sbr-a31.bin as it were, which has a different value set in the SBR, which got these two card, I had an issue with working. I'm going to add that SBR to the Fix guide if it happens again.

On 2017-6-2 at 11:42 PM, nthu9280 said:

Megarec did not have any issue with -cleanflash on the first try itself.  sas2hax.efi did have issues even on the (seemingly) successful attempt while trying to issue reset.

I got the following message.  

Adapter reset failed!

Firmware fault occured. Fault code 704

Due to error remaining commands will not be executed

unable process commands

exiting sas2flash

Rebooted and sas2hax and sas2flash(p20) could see the card and I could add the SAS Address and issue list, reset commands. So cautiously optimistic

I've yesterday tried sas2hax -e 7, 4 and 8. Need to see if I need add any other info such as VPD etc to make sure it's not missing required.  If I need any 6gbps HBAs in the future, think I'll stick with H310s as they seem to be fairly straight forward.  

Yeah it always fails to reset, you just had to reboot back into DOS.

17 minutes ago, Jonny said:

Thanks for the info

I'll try doing the cleanflash before on the set next of cards I'm getting. If it works well, I'll update my guide post :)

I've had a few cards were sbr-a11.bin and sbr-a21.bin didn't get the second sas port working on a A21 Card. I created a sbr-a31.bin as it were, which has a different value set in the SBR, which got these two card, I had an issue with working. I'm going to add that SBR to the Fix guide if it happens again.

The trick for me was to reflash the SBR at the end, that gets both ports going. Try that. I tested this on a11 and a21. cheers.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, nthu9280 said:

@ezhik /@johnny
Please update your guide for the sas2hax flash step with -noreset flag. That will prevent the error message

Is it required to flash the FW twice? I only did once. Wasn't planning on adding BIOS.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I created a separate thread:

• 2 weeks later...