LSI Controller FW updates IR/IT modes

On 28/02/2018 at 7:47 AM, Fireball3 said:

Yes, the card will show up during boot, checking for drives etc.

But only if the card is in RAID mode with a BIOS installed, which is usually the case, as those are designated for

use in RAID mode.

There is a LED on the card that is usually flashing (lifesign), does it work on your card?

Maybe you can try the card somewhere on another board?

Hi again. Thanks for your help. The LED wasn't on at all, and I tried it on an old computer board that I found, and had the same result.

I've arranged a refund from the seller.

I guess it's time to try again!

Edited by Josey

Hello,

I have an HP xw8600 Workstation and in Device Manager, I see LSI Adapter, SAS 3000 series, 8-port with 1068.   So I download LSI SAS1068E Controllers(P20)   on the first page (I even downloaded it on the Wiki, to make sure it was the same).

I run the first batch script from an elevated command prompt and see that I do in fact have:

Adapter Selected is a LSI SAS 1068(B1):

Num   Ctlr      FW Ver     NVDATA   x86-BIOS     EFI-BSD    PCI Addr
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

1   1068(B1)  01.22.01.00  2b.04  06.22.00.00    No Image   00:11:06:00

So, I run the second batch script, and it successfully backs up my current firmware and BIOS.    Then, I modify the 3rd batch script to point to the B1 revision firmware, 3081ERB1.fw

I want RAID support, but currently, the SAS adapter detects my 3Gbps SSD drive as 1.5Gbps SSD drives, which is horrible.   My understanding is this newer FW revision should fix the issue.    However, when I run the 3rd batch file, 3_Flash_to_IR_mode_x64.bat, I receive the following message:

.     Using 3081E Board, PCIe HBA, Integrated RAID (IR) firmware with chip B1

.  COMMANDLINE THAT WILL BE USED:
   sasflash -l Flashlog.txt -o -f 3081ERB1.fw -b MPTSAS.ROM

Press any key to continue . . .

.     Proceeding to Flash and Log too Flashlog.txt
.     in the current directory

LSI Corporation SAS FLASH Utility.

SASFlash Version 1.28.00.00 (2010.12.08)

Copyright (c) 2006-2010 LSI Corporation. All rights reserved.

Advanced Mode Set

Executing Operation: Flash Firmware Image

Checksum Passed: 00000000

ERROR: The Firmware Image is for a 106e b1 LSI SAS Controller,
                but the target adapter is a 1068 b1 LSI SAS Controller

Due to error remaining commands will not be executed.
        Unable to Process Commands.
        Exiting SASFlash.
Press any key to continue . . .

It seems I am confused and downloading the wrong zip file.    Could someone please point me in the right direction on what file to grab so I can flash to a higher FW and get those 3Gbps speeds?

Thank you!

For use in unRAID, you should use JBOD mode.

This is the unRAID forum. Are you planning to use this controller in unRAID?

If you are planning to use it in Windows instead, I don't know if anyone here can help you or not. There are probably other forums more suitable.

2 minutes ago, trurl said:

For use in unRAID, you should use JBOD mode.

This is the unRAID forum. Are you planning to use this controller in unRAID?

If you are planning to use it in Windows instead, I don't know if anyone here can help you or not. There are probably other forums more suitable.

Thank you for the response.   In all honesty, I was not planning on using this controller in unRAID.   I was just trying to find a higher firmware version to fix the 1.5Gbps issue, and unfortunately, every route I've followed has been an epic fail, including contacting Broadcom (who now owns the rights to the controller / firmware), who said I had to contact HP, who said they couldn't help.

I came across this thread and thought wow, if I could just get that higher version, this SAS controller wouldn't be useless to me anymore.   I realize that's not the purpose of this thread, but are the firmwares somehow modified to work only with unRAID?

Thanks.

2 hours ago, Spork Schivago said:

are the firmwares somehow modified to work only with unRAID?

No, the only thing you have to take care is that for use with unRAID we want to have IT mode firmware and all scripts and how-to's are tailored for that specific purpose. You have to use the IR firmware for your undertaking!

There is a P21 firmware for that sort of controller. Why didn't you use that?

With regard to the error, there might be some sort of vendor check to prevent cross-flashing?

Is that a standalone card or onboard chip?

Have you searched the HP sources for a newer firmware?

3 hours ago, Fireball3 said:

No, the only thing you have to take care is that for use with unRAID we want to have IT mode firmware and all scripts and how-to's are tailored for that specific purpose. You have to use the IR firmware for your undertaking!

There is a P21 firmware for that sort of controller. Why didn't you use that?

With regard to the error, there might be some sort of vendor check to prevent cross-flashing?

Is that a standalone card or onboard chip?

Have you searched the HP sources for a newer firmware?

I have searched HP sources for a newer firmware, but could only find older firmwares, not newers.    I did download the P21 and tried that first, but after running the original first batch script and seeing that I had the B1 revision of the chip (it is onboard, and not a standalone), and seeing that P21 only included firmwares for B2 and B3 revisions of the chip, I thought it'd be a bad idea to try and force a different revision firmware for my chip.

I was using the IR firmwares and was aware of that from reading the thread and the documents that came with the zip's.   Can I use a B2 with my B1 chip?   Thank you for the support, especially seeing  how I don't plan on using unRAID and this is a unRAID specific forum.   That's very kind of you.

I'd like to get this working so I can attempt to run my very expensive copy of SolidWorks 2018 on this workstation or see if I need to invest in a much more expensive machine.   I have some SAS drives, but they're only 6Gbps.   I was going to RAID0 these two 3Gbps SSD drives and see how that worked.   The SAS drives are being used in my HPE DL380 Gen9 rackmount server and I didn't want to take them out just to put in the workstation, seeing how the workstation wouldn't support the 6Gbps, I felt it wouldn't really be worth the sustained rates, but maybe it'd be worth a shot...

54 minutes ago, Fireball3 said:

Go to Broadcom and grab the full P21 firmware package and give it a try.

The sas2flsh utility is newer, maybe it makes a difference?

Have you elder HP firmwares?

Do they also flash with the sas2flsh utility?

Maybe try that one with the P21 firmware?

What do you mean have I elder HP firmwares?   Do you mean do I have other HP firmwares?   I do.   The only luck I had was with an IBM one, but it wouldn't update the "firmware", just the "BIOS", by BIOS, I mean the MPT BIOS.   I used the MegaRAID utility to flash it from Windows and it took.   But with the fw, it errored out with a message about CRC fail or something.

I have grabbed the P21 firmware package from Broadcom and will give it a go.   Thank you again for the support!   So I do need B1, not anything higher, because I have the B1 revision of the chip, correct?

**EDIT: I tried the Broadcom P21 package, after a little editing of the batch file, to remove the choice.exe command and use the Windows 7 built-in choice shell function.

I still receive a:

Executing Operation: Flash Firmware Image

Checksum Passed: 00000000

ERROR: The Firmware Image is for a 106e b1 LSI SAS Controller,
                but the target adapter is a 1068 b1 LSI SAS Controller

Exiting SASFlash.

I know I have the 1068, because I see that in Device Manager and all the SASFlash utilities tell me so.   It seems the firmware image I'm trying to flash is for the 106e, not the 1068.   That seems to be where the issue lies.

Edited by Spork Schivago
Added detailed error message
54 minutes ago, Spork Schivago said:

I do need B1, not anything higher, because I have the B1 revision of the chip, correct?

This is correct!

54 minutes ago, Spork Schivago said:

Do you mean do I have other HP firmwares?   I do

Can you flash those firmwares? Just to prove it's working.

There are some uncertainties as your chipset is on board.

Maybe the error is justified and a cross-flash of this kind shouldn't be possible.

It's also imaginable, that all LSI firmwares are labeled 106e and the OEMs have just tagged their cards

slightly different to avoid LSI firmware being run on them. Oftentimes they cut the feature list of the

OEM cards via firmware.

You can work back through the old LSI firmwares and see if one of them possibly works.

Once the controller is on LSI you can flash the most recent firmware.

Next suggestions bear risk of bricking.

You didn't erase the controller prior to flashing - may be a possible option?

I have to check what options this sas2flsh utility brings to override things...

Another way would be to disassemble the firmware file and see if you find the string that is checked for.

Unfortunately I haven't had the time and the tools to try something like that.

Did you try flashing from within Windows?

Not sure if this can be a problem - I usually do firmware things from a DOS environment.

Edited by Fireball3
16 minutes ago, Fireball3 said:

This is correct!

Can you flash those firmwares? Just to prove it's working.

There are some uncertainties as your chipset is on board.

Maybe the error is justified and a cross-flash of this kind shouldn't be possible.

It's also imaginable, that all LSI firmwares are labeled 106e and the OEMs have just tagged their cards

slightly different to avoid LSI firmware being run on them. Oftentimes they cut the feature list of the

OEM cards via firmware.

You can work back through the old LSI firmwares and see if one of them possibly works.

Once the controller is on LSI you can flash the most recent firmware.

Next suggestions bear risk of bricking.

You didn't erase the controller prior to flashing - may be a possible option?

I have to check what options this sas2flsh utility brings to override things...

Another way would be to disassemble the firmware file and see if you find the string that is checked for.

Unfortunately I haven't had the time and the tools to try something like that.

Did you try flashing from within Windows?

Not sure if this can be a problem - I usually do firmware things from a DOS environment.

Thanks for the suggestions.   I think I might have some stuff to add that might help here.

The only MegaRAID firmware on the HP's website for this integrated controller does not flash, but it's also listed for the SAS 8888ELP, which I don't have.

Secondly, Broadcom did provide me with a newer edition of the Windows MegaRAID utility that allows me to flash the firmware, BIOS, etc.   I've successfully put MPT 6.36.0.0 on there.   Any Controller Firmware I try though fails.   I noticed though, their new MegaRAID utility lists my host interface as PCI-X.   Device Manager shows for Hardware ID:

PCI\VEN_1000&DEV_0054&SUBSYS_0A98103C&REV_02

The controller is definitely built into the workstation.   The SAS ports are on the physical motherboard.

I can successfully reflash the Firmware.fw file that SasFlash back's up.   Attached is a copy of the controller's firmware, version 1.22.01.00

Firmware.fw

35 minutes ago, Spork Schivago said:

The only MegaRAID firmware on the HP's website for this integrated controller does not flash, but it's also listed for the SAS 8888ELP, which I don't have.

I also found that info. Maybe here is a loose end where one could dig deeper to see what's the SAS8888ELP.

The firmware for that card is flashed with megaCLI - at least it's in the zip.

35 minutes ago, Spork Schivago said:

Secondly, Broadcom did provide me with a newer edition of the Windows MegaRAID

Not sure what MPT6.36 is necessary for. MegaRAID needs the firmware in a different format iirc.

I think the MegaRAID is a dead end as long as you don't have the P21 in that specific format.

What is the help of MegaRAID saying? Is it capable of wiping the cards ID or something like that?

That could possibly be of use.

Can you flash an older HP firmware with the sasflsh utility?

Or even with another tool. Just to have another basis. Maybe in earlier versions the adapter reports with "106e b1"?

The IBM BR10i and the Intel SASUC8I also use the same 1068E chip and can be flashed with LSI3081 firmware.

Maybe a cross flash with one of those firmwares can help as an intermediate step on the way to the LSI P21?

I propose you prepare a DOS bootable and avoid Windows.

Note what the readme.txt says:

Use the DOS version of SASFlash.EXE to update the firmware and BIOS for the LSI SAS HBAs.  If the HBA has firmware older than 1.22.01 you must boot to DOS in order to upgrade the firmware. 

Edited by Fireball3
10 minutes ago, Fireball3 said:

I also found that info. Maybe here is a loose end where one could dig deeper to see what's the SAS8888ELP.

Not sure what MPT6.36 is necessary for. MegaRAID needs the firmware in a different format iirc.

Can you flash an older HP firmware with the sas2flsh utility?

Or even with another tool. Just to have another basis. Maybe in earlier versions the adapter reports with "106e b1"?

The IBM BR10i and the Intel SASUC8I also use the same 1068E chip and can be flashed with LSI3081 firmware.

Maybe a cross flash with one of those firmwares can help as an intermediate step on the way to the LSI P21?

I cannot flash an older HP firmware.   Same message.   I took a physical picture of the BGA LSI component (or chipset).   It shows on it:

LSI
62089B2
LSISAS1068 B1
T 0839 (c1?)
WEK39176.1
KOREA
ARM (tm)

I think that's a c1.   I can upload the pic if you want.   I'll search for the 62089B2 and see what I find.

4 minutes ago, Spork Schivago said:

I think that's a c1

No, it's LSISAS1068 B1

I edited my comment above.

Please reread and consider the DOS option.

I cannot flash an older HP firmware.   Same message.

This is strange.

Where did you get the HP firmware from?

What did the MegaRAID utility do exactly?

Can you elaborate on that? Did that possibly alter the cards name?

Edited by Fireball3
1 minute ago, Fireball3 said:

No, it's LSISAS1068 B1

I edited my comment above.

Please reread and consider the DOS option.

No, no, no, I meant C1, as in after the T 0839.

We were cross posting.   I'll check out your two links that you posted.  I'm guessing one of them talks about this DOS option?   I've been using SasFLASH from the command line, if that's what you mean.   When it fails, I try in the MegaRAID utility (that's how I got success updating the MPT)

2 minutes ago, Fireball3 said:

Yes, I got you, but NO.

The revision is right beneath the name - it is B1. (afaik, there is no C at all)

Can you share the "help" of the megaRAID utility?

Right.   I've been attempting to flash the B1 revision of the firmware.   I don't see how either of those links help, neither contain a B1 firmware.   The sasflash -listall only shows the one:

SASFlash Version 1.30.00.00 (2011.08.24)

Copyright (c) 2006-2011 LSI Corporation. All rights reserved.

1   1068(B1)  01.22.01.00  2b.04  06.36.00.00    No Image   00:11:06:00

What do you mean  by share the "help" of the megaRAID utility?   Do you want the help -> About page?   Avago makes it.   It's MegaRAID Storage Manager 15.11.53.00, client build 2.90, Copyright 2018 Avago Technologies.

29 minutes ago, Fireball3 said:

This is strange.

Where did you get the HP firmware from?

What did the MegaRAID utility do exactly?

Can you elaborate on that? Did that possibly alter the cards name?

I grabbed the HP firmware from here:

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp41001-41500/sp41147.html

I changed the .html to a .exe to download.   But the firmware is for the 1068E, not the 1068, which I think is the problem.   Those firmware's are not for the xw8600 workstation.   I've tried a few other HP workstation firmware files, if they looked like they might work, but everyone fails with the Product ID mismatch message.

Everything seems to be for the 1068E.

The MegaRAID utility allowed me to update the MPT BIOS, that's it.   It also shows me that the host controller is PCI-X, although the chipset is clearly built directly into the motherboard.

It did not alter the cards name, the card has always been listed with sasflash as a 1068.   I was concentrating originally on trying to flash the controller's firmware to something higher, thinking that was the reason why the 3.0Gbps SSD drives show up as 1.5Gbps.    But after messing with it for a while, I figured at least I could update the MPT BIOS.

Instead of using the SasFlash to do that, I used the MegaRAID utility to update the MPT BIOS.   I have the option of updating that, the controller's firmware, or the UEFI-BIOS.

The only time I have been able to flash any firmware using MegaRAID utility or SasFlash is from the backup that SasFlash creates.   Every other time, it says "The firmware flash image product Id is invalid."

Except for when I try flashing the SAS3080XR_-Package_P21_IR_IT_Firmware_BIOS_for_MSDOS_Windows\3080XRB1.fw   firmware file (which I grabbed from Broadcom's site)

Notice that's 3080XRB1 and not 3081.   Then it looks like it's working, but says Invalid Operation.   Firmware version doesn't change.   So I try that 3080XRB1 using the SasFlash utility in an elevated command prompt, but that's when I get a message:

ERROR: Product ID and Vendor ID match FAILED.

Exiting SASFlash.

I believe I need a 3081XRB1.fw   file.

Edited by Spork Schivago

One of the firmware's took some wheres along the line!    Rebooted the PC and thought I saw out of the corner of my eye chipset revision 01.33.00.00.   Fired up MegaRAID and sure enough, Controller Firmware: 01.33.00.00, BIOS: 06.36.00.00

LSI Corporation SAS FLASH Utility.

SASFlash Version 1.30.00.00 (2011.08.24)

Copyright (c) 2006-2011 LSI Corporation. All rights reserved.

1   1068(B1)  01.33.00.00  2d.03  06.36.00.00    No Image   00:11:06:00

Finished Processing Commands Successfully.
        Exiting SASFlash.

I'm thinking the one from Broadcom, the only one that gave a different error message than all the rests.   The LSI SAS 3080X-R one.    Funny though, even after that LSI SAS 3080X-R one, it doesn't take the 3081 one.   I think it's because the 3080 has the X, for PCI-X, and this chipset is hooked into the PCI-X bus.   I don't think we ever had a chance of the E one's working, which appear to be for ones hooked to the PCI-E bus.

Question is does it fix the drives.   Gonna have to test that.   I'd like to see what speed drives are supported.   Highly doubt something this old would support SATA 6Gbps, but boy, wouldn't that be nice?

Edited by Spork Schivago
Added does it fix it.

Ah crap.   I jumped the gun.   It was the 3080X-R that was successfully uploaded, but that 3080X-R does not detect ANY drives now.   Thankfully, I uploaded my original firmware here, so I can download it.   After being (what I thought was successful), I deleted the original firmware from my PC, which was just dumb I guess.

It sucks too, because I believe the 1.33.00.00 firmware fixes the issues where these drives are being reported as 1.5Gbps drives.   There's no since using them in the SAS controller.   It's pointless.   I'll just have to use them in the Intel controller  :(

**EDIT:

I'm having trouble flashing the original back.   With sasflash, I get the Product ID mismatch message.   With MegaRAID, it complains about the firmware file's NVDATA being invalid.

I had originally backed up the NVDATA and thought perhaps I just needed to -o -concat that, but it always fails.   I've tried setting the -verbose option, which doesn't work.    Not sure how to proceed to get my original firmware back or if bricked my HBA permanently.

Edited by Spork Schivago

On Samstag, 10. März 2018 at 7:59 PM, Spork Schivago said:

3080X-R

Maybe you can go back to earlier versions of this  X firmware and see if there is a difference?

How could this help?

For flashing the SAS2008 chipset there is a version of the sas2flsh utility (P7) that enables overriding of wrong vendor ID's.

If there is an equivalent sasflash you may be able to pass that check?

And use a plain DOS environment for those flashing tasks. Not a Windows console!

I noticed though, their new MegaRAID utility lists my host interface as PCI-X.   Device Manager shows for Hardware ID: PCI\VEN_1000&DEV_0054&SUBSYS_0A98103C&REV_02

This is all with Windows hardware recognition in between. Can't tell if it is true what you're seeing.

If you had a schematic of your board you could perhaps verify.

See this post

There may be some new ideas for you. e.g. 'ignore vendor' option coming with the IBM utility...

I have to check if I have the lsiutil binary somewhere.

Edited by Fireball3

Help Please - This is driving me crazy

Have read and reread the posts

I have a IBM M1015 card with sas9220 chipset

I am getting the "PAL" error trying to flash to it mode

Have created the usb boot with rufus using fat32 as freedos - system card is plugged into is a 32bit windows 10