LSI Controller FW updates IR/IT modes

41 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

Post your diagnostics.

I had removed the cardand put back my original SAS2LP in order to use the array. So I put the H200 back in order to post diagnostics and suddenly it sees the HDDs.

I really dont know why, before the original post I reseated it 3-4 times & rebooted, I even changed SAS cables and it did not work. Thanks for your  willingness  to help me and I am sorry for wasting your time but it was not out of laziness.

BTW, how can I see data about my controller through unraid?

Edited by papnikol
11 minutes ago, papnikol said:

I really dont know why, before the original post I reseated it 3-4 times & rebooted, I even changed SAS cables and it did not work. Thanks for your  willingness  to help me and I am sorry for wasting your time but it was not out of laziness. 

?

I'm trying to crossflash a Fujitsu 2607 to IT mode. After

megarec -cleanflash 0
megarec -writesbr 0 sbr-a21.bin
megarec -cleanflash 0

I did a reboot with Alt-Crtl-Del into FreeDOS again. When I try 

sas2flsh.exe -o -f 6GBPSAS.FW

I get (depending on the Tool-Version) the following the error

Adapter Selected is a LSI SAS: SAS2008(Rev 4)
ERROR: Firmware image does not support Target Adapter Chip Revision (4)

It seams that I have a SAS2008(Rev 4) but I didn't find any infos about that.

UPDATE: My big fault - I bought it as D2607 but didn't check the label on the Controller. It is a "D2616 -A12 GS 4" which is based on a LSI SAS2108. The others are two "D2607-A21 GS 1" and a "D2607-A11" and I'll try to crossflash them to IT Mode without EFI.

Has someone any recommendations or hints how to get this Adapter crossflashed to IT.

Unfortunately I only have older servers with no EFI in it and Macs ... so I have to stick to DOS/BIOS Mode without EFI.

Schnappschuss (2018-05-13 16.45.38).png

Schnappschuss (2018-05-13 16.47.20).png

Schnappschuss (2018-05-13 16.51.18).png

Edited by siebenth
16 hours ago, siebenth said:

UPDATE: My big fault - I bought it as D2607 but didn't check the label on the Controller. It is a "D2616 -A12 GS 4" which is based on a LSI SAS2108. The others are two "D2607-A21 GS 1" and a "D2607-A11" and I'll try to crossflash them to IT Mode without EFI.

Has someone any recommendations or hints how to get this Adapter crossflashed to IT.

Unfortunately I only have older servers with no EFI in it and Macs ... so I have to stick to DOS/BIOS Mode without EFI.

Hey Siebenth,

I'm not 100% sure you can flash the D2607 using only DOS, as you need to use the Modified EFI sas2flash to get the card flashed. I wonder if its the same for the D2616 -A12.

I hope you still have a backup of the original SBR.

Coupla questions. If the answer is "read more of this thread" I will do it! Otherwise ...

The files on the first page or so of this thread for my LSI SAS9211-8i are from 2011. Any reason I shouldn't use the current files (from 2016 I think)?

The read me notes mention Linux capatablilty, yet the O/S' talked about are Windoze and MacOS. Is there an EASY way to flash the BIOS from my unRAID installation or, perhaps better yet, can't I boot into Linux live with a USB stick and flash? I didn't see any description to do that, though I might have 'dozed off with all of the Windoze talk.

Jeff

46 minutes ago, pepar said:

Coupla questions. If the answer is "read more of this thread" I will do it! Otherwise ...

The files on the first page or so of this thread for my LSI SAS9211-8i are from 2011. Any reason I shouldn't use the current files (from 2016 I think)?

The read me notes mention Linux capatablilty, yet the O/S' talked about are Windoze and MacOS. Is there an EASY way to flash the BIOS from my unRAID installation or, perhaps better yet, can't I boot into Linux live with a USB stick and flash? I didn't see any description to do that, though I might have 'dozed off with all of the Windoze talk.

Jeff

I am fairly certain that the P11 firmware will work fine (although I do not have the particular card) but also have a look at this link. They mention successfully using P19/P20.

Btw, if it helps, I have a Dell H200 crossflashed to LSI9211-8i IT with a P20 ( P20.00.07.00) firmware and it works fine. If I were you I would try P20.00.07.00, since it is anyways made particularly for your card, it is not even crossflashing. 

On Sonntag, 13. Mai 2018 at 4:51 PM, siebenth said:

To flash the D2607 please follow this thread.

But you definitely need an EFI capable machine, as the patched binary is available only for EFI.

AFAIK there is no experiences with this card.

You have to find the right chipset, then see what card is the equivalent LSI (Avago/Broadcom) and try the respective firmware.

Maybe I have read too much. Between madberg's thread and the downloaded SAS2Flash Utility Guide, my head hurts ... and I still have no clear path to flashing my 9211-8i to IT mode. Which is the best/simplest ... boot to Linux Live and run the utility, boot to DOS 6.22 (if I remember how) and run the utility or boot to  something else and run the utility? Failing all else, I have a Win 7 x64 box nearby with an open PCIe 3.0 x16 slot ...

Sorry for being dense. I rarely have this much difficulty grokking new stuff.

Jeff

Edited by pepar
14 hours ago, pepar said:

I rarely have this much difficulty grokking new stuff.

When I was younger I also had less problems with those things :D

No, just kidding Jeff,
I can understand how you feel. The length and age of this thread is a real issue.
If you have an LSI card, your task should be a bit easier.
Here you go:
Grab the latest toolset linked here.

This, because it contains everything you need to prepare a bootable USB.
It won't hurt if you read the READMEFIRST - to have an idea what should happen.

Assuming your controller is in IR mode, you perform
1 - grab info of the card, keep it safe until everything works as expected (if you like, post it here for me, just for information)
2 (optional) - backup card software
3 - wipe IR sofware
4 - reboot
5 - flash P20 IT firmware (skip the other steps, they are necessary for rebranded cards only)
6 - flash SAS adress

Maybe you run into the PAL error.
Then you have to boot into EFI and run the .nsh files instead of the .bat

Following madburg's _readme will probably also work (can't inspect it at the moment).

Hello all,

i need advice. I bought HP220 (LSI 2308) card in IT mode and i need it to flash to IR mode, can someone please provide me step by step instructions?

I try to erase firmware

sas2flsh -o -e 6

then i tried to flash IR firmware

sas2flsh -f 2308IR207.ROM

but i get an error NVSRAM is required to flash ir firmware.

p.s. sorry for my bad english

8 hours ago, Fireball3 said:

Here you go:

1 - grab info of the card, keep it safe until everything works as expected (if you like, post it here for me, just for information)
3 - wipe IR sofware
4 - reboot
5 - flash P20 IT firmware (skip the other steps, they are necessary for rebranded cards only)
6 - flash SAS address

OK, alrighty, to recap (and make sure I understand, I download the latest toolset from this entry " Update on 17.04.2017, v4 <--- this is the latest, use this one! "? That creates the boot USB ...?

I already have the P20 download from Broadcom/Avago, so I am ready to read and follow the READMEFIRST at this point?

Jeff

1 hour ago, Fireball3 said:

Hi @iwi, welcome to the unRAID forums.

My information is that the HP220 is a plain HBA with no other operation mode than IT!

The error you encountered also indicates that the necessary hardware (NVSRAM) is missing for IR mode.

If you have other intel, please feel free to post here.

I found out that the HP220 is an LSI 2308 based card which should be able to operate both modes IT or IR. Have anyone some information please?

Edited by iwi
11 hours ago, Fireball3 said:

When I was younger I also had less problems with those things :D

No, just kidding Jeff,
I can understand how you feel. The length and age of this thread is a real issue.
If you have an LSI card, your task should be a bit easier.
Here you go:

3 - wipe IR sofware
4 - reboot
6 - flash SAS adress

Maybe you run into the PAL error.
Then you have to boot into EFI and run the .nsh files instead of the .bat

Following madburg's _readme will probably also work (can't inspect it at the moment).

I used the info/files in your "latest" update. UEFI USB got me a UI I didn't recognize, so I changed the boot to non-UEFI. That got me a failed procedure, so I was going to try the UEFI method. I was able to boot to the EFI interface ... now I need to read what I need to do when there. madberg's post(s) lead me to maglin's. Deeper down the rabbit hole I go ...

Edited by pepar
14 hours ago, pepar said:

Deeper down the rabbit hole I go ...

Here are the basic commands for EFI shell that you need:

http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/Crossflashing_Controllers#UEFI

In EFI shell you can use the .nsh files. (wiki is wrong saying .efi is the extension...)

I already have the P20 download from Broadcom/Avago, so I am ready to read and follow the READMEFIRST at this point?

The toolset also has the P20.00.07 files included.

15 hours ago, iwi said:

I found out that the HP220 is an LSI 2308 based card which should be able to operate both modes IT or IR. Have anyone some information please? 

Here is says it is a SAS2008 based card.

https://www.servethehome.com/lsi-sas-2008-raid-controller-hba-information/

Here it says SAS2308 card.

https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/lsi-raid-controller-and-hba-complete-listing-plus-oem-models.599/

Or maybe there are different versions of the H220 card out there (see willglynn-link)?

Here we have different reports.

https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/flashing-hp-h220-sas-card-to-latest-fw.13057/

Some work with SAS2008 firmware, others do with SAS2308 firmware.

Try flashing an IT mode firmware. Does it error with:

NVDATA Image does not match Controller Chip Revision

Also see here:

https://www.willglynn.com/2014/11/10/lsi-sas-firmware-nonsense/

Are there any labels on the PCB?

It's all about finding the right chipset at the moment.

Nobody want's to flash the card to IR mode in those threads.

Edited by Fireball3
43 minutes ago, Fireball3 said:

Here is says it is a SAS2008 based card.

https://www.servethehome.com/lsi-sas-2008-raid-controller-hba-information/

Here it says SAS2308 card.

https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/lsi-raid-controller-and-hba-complete-listing-plus-oem-models.599/

Or maybe there are different versions of the H220 card out there (see willglynn-link)?

Here we have different reports.

https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/flashing-hp-h220-sas-card-to-latest-fw.13057/

Some work with SAS2008 firmware, others do with SAS2308 firmware.

Try flashing an IT mode firmware. Does it error with:

NVDATA Image does not match Controller Chip Revision

Also see here:

https://www.willglynn.com/2014/11/10/lsi-sas-firmware-nonsense/

Are there any labels on the PCB?

It's all about finding the right chipset at the moment.

Nobody want's to flash the card to IR mode in those threads.

On the card is a label 

SAS9205-8i   H3-25278-05D  

on another label is SAS adress

on 3rd label is

SP: 660088-001(which after googling says that is this HP 220 card)

CT: PBUHT0A8S8J0JT

AS: 638834-001

DG:: 638834

2 hours ago, iwi said:

On the card is a label 

SAS9205-8i   H3-25278-05D

If you search the broadcom site for 9205 you will get results SAS9205-8e (external plugs).

The corresponding .zip files have no IR firmware inside.

That's why I'm concluding, that the SAS9205-8i/e aka HP H220 will not work in IR mode.

But, feel free to try the LSI SAS 9217-8i or LSI SAS 9207-8i files.

Start with the IT firmware to confirm the right chip and then try the IR firmware.

37 minutes ago, Fireball3 said:

If you search the broadcom site for 9205 you will get results SAS9205-8e (external plugs).

The corresponding .zip files have no IR firmware inside.

That's why I'm concluding, that the SAS9205-8i/e aka HP H220 will not work in IR mode.

But, feel free to try the LSI SAS 9217-8i or LSI SAS 9207-8i files.

Start with the IT firmware to confirm the right chip and then try the IR firmware.

When i run sas2flsh -list a i get this

PHOTO_20180518_112517.jpg

7 hours ago, Fireball3 said:

In EFI shell you can use the .nsh files. (wiki is wrong saying .efi is the extension...)

Thanks. I tried the DOS method again and got one of the BATs to work. Unfortunately, it was the one that wiped the ROM of the card. Doh!  So I am looking forward to getting back at this task!

Jeff

7 hours ago, Fireball3 said:

When I booted to the EFI interface, there was a list of drives(?). Following this instruction " Select your drive by typing "FSx" with x being the drive letter of your USB drive. e.g. FS0, FS1" got me "unknown command" etc. So I was not able to access the needed files on the stick to accomplish anything. I will note that, using the boot USB instructions/files included with the download gave me a few "overwrite/don't overwrite" options when I unzipped the files to the already-prepared DOS boot stick. Should there have been any overwrites?

Edited by pepar