LSI Controller FW updates IR/IT modes

On 5/17/2018 at 3:35 AM, Fireball3 said:

Assuming your controller is in IR mode, you perform

1 - grab info of the card, keep it safe until everything works as expected (if you like, post it here for me, just for information)
2 (optional) - backup card software
3 - wipe IR sofware
4 - reboot
5 - flash P20 IT firmware (skip the other steps, they are necessary for rebranded cards only)
6 - flash SAS adress

I was able to navigate around EFI mode and I think I reflashed the BIOS. But I was not able to flash the SAS address. Apparently when  I ran 1.bat it did not pull and save info from the card.

Jeff

10 minutes ago, Fireball3 said:

The last 6.nsh should have one prefilled. You can use that if you have no other.

That worked!!! The card is operational in IT mode and unRAID now sees all of the attached drives.  Good grief.

Thanks for your help1

Jeff

2 minutes ago, pepar said:

I had ran 1.nsh  and it seemed to successfully list the card info.

Then a file called Adapters.txt should exist in the logs directory.

4 minutes ago, pepar said:

Somewhere it wanted to flash with Dell file and I did not do that

Well, in one of my fist posts I told you to skip those steps.

Anyway, if you managed to flash P20 you're fine.

Once you flashed the SAS adress you can dump the card info once again with 1.nsh and double check.

Read this thread for the last 3 or so pages. I was helped by Fireball3. There was, for me, a lot of confusing information that needed to be boiled down. And I still don't have a clear idea of which steps I really needed.

@Fireball3, what was the shorted path through what I just did?

Jeff

52 minutes ago, kaiguy said:

Can anyone please confirm that I can flash 9211-8i firmware on a 9201-8i card? And in the process remove the BIOS?

Yes, should work. 9201-8i is by default a plain HBA (IT mode only).

Wipe  the current firmware and flash the latest P20.00.07

Basically the same procedure as pepar did.

Thanks all. I'm comfortable with the flashing process (did the crossflash with my M1015 years ago), but I just hadn't found much info related to the 9201-8i as it relates to flashing firmware (especially since there seems to be no official 9201-8i firmware). I'll give it a go!

On 8/21/2013 at 5:59 AM, Fireball3 said:

Update on 17.04.2017, v4 <--- this is the latest, use this one!

Firmware is still P20.00.07.00

Corrections for EFI environment. Untested due to missing hardware.

Post your experience in the forum.

https://www.mediafire.com/?py9c1w5u56xytw2

MD5: t.b.d.

Worked OK - had a few issues with DOS rejecting some of the 8.3/~ foldernames (unfortunately I've wiped my flash drive so I don't have any logs) Maybe renaming some of the long folder names might help. I just ended up running the commands manually from the .bat files.

It took me a few minutes to realize why my keyboard was producing weird results - turns out I had inadvertently chosen the German option because my monitor autoswitches inputs sometimes when using the VGA port. I suggest the timeout in config.sys for that menu item should be a lot longer than 5 seconds (or disable it entirely and force the user to choose one).

• Like 1
13 hours ago, ClunkClunk said:

Worked OK - had a few issues with DOS rejecting some of the 8.3/~ foldernames (unfortunately I've wiped my flash drive so I don't have any logs) Maybe renaming some of the long folder names might help. I just ended up running the commands manually from the .bat files.

It took me a few minutes to realize why my keyboard was producing weird results - turns out I had inadvertently chosen the German option because my monitor autoswitches inputs sometimes when using the VGA port. I suggest the timeout in config.sys for that menu item should be a lot longer than 5 seconds (or disable it entirely and force the user to choose one).

Oh, one more thing - is there any support for multiple controllers? I purposely disconnected my other one so there'd be no confusion, but it would be cool if the scripts could detect if multiple eligible cards exist, and prompt the user for which one to flash.

Hey :)

I managed to obtain another two H310 and successfully flash them to latest P20 IT mode (with not boot bios) thanks to Fireball3 pack (many thanks to him for such great work). However, I have one question. If I would like to enable bios on IT mode (to be able to boot OS from H310 attached disks), can I just execute step 5.bat (with flash bios command) or do I have to start from 1.bat and perform all steps like when flashing for the first time from original dell IR firmware?

Edited by flack
On 5/28/2018 at 9:40 PM, flack said:

If I would like to enable bios on IT mode (to be able to boot OS from H310 attached disks), can I just execute step 5.bat (with flash bios command) or do I have to start from 1.bat

This is a good one!

According to the sas2flsh manual it should be sufficient to use

SAS2Flash –b the_right.rom

Thanks for your feedback!

Edited by Fireball3
  • Upvote 1

Fireball3 

thanks for reply! One more thing that keeps bothering me. I think, that flashed H310 in IT mode despite passing-through smart/temps data can not spin down attached disk, while windows spins down other HDD attached via motherboard SATA. I am pretty sure that there is nothing accessing disks. I believe that it can be solved via some custom .int driver modification & updating like here: google for "ENABLE DISK SPINDOWN ON LSI 9211/IBM M1015" and there should be one link on top from Muffin's Lab.

Any idea about enabling disk spin-down? :)

OK, I managed to install modified driver, hovewer I have to mention two issues I encounter.

1. I had to enable windows test mode via

Bcdedit.exe -set TESTSIGNING ON 

Modified drived could not be installed with disabled driver signature verification, test mode was a must.

2. There is no 9211-8i drivers on broadcom website, 9210 should work good (at least they do for me).

After installing modified drivers you can disable testmode with

Bcdedit.exe -set TESTSIGNING OFF 

Now my disks spin down when windows tells them to do so.

Hi,

I have a problem recently got a pair of ibm 25R8071 (3g 8x hba's) with sas 3444e. After a lot of digging i found out that they were using the Lsi sas1068e chipset and coud be flashed to it-mode (Really need that smart data for zfs). So i got to flashing via windows 10 but they need the b1 firmware  (i coudent find it on https://lime-technology.com/wiki/Crossflashing_Controllers so i got it from google) i tried again but apperently you need to be on dos to flash or you get this :

Firmware Download Boot Required to get Flash Size 1MB to 2MB Migration of Firmware is not supported on this platform!

So i made a dos stick but none of the original batchfiles worked (the sasflash and megarec were non dos versions got working ones from other links) I manually tried but both sas2flsh and megarec said that there was no controller present and i shoud put the jumpers to there default positions and reboot (what jumpers). The card is just blinking standby and works perfectly fine with both windows and linux (without smart). At this point i really dont know what to do. Any ideas?

-Sammy