LSI Controller FW updates IR/IT modes

Hello,

Sorry for my bad English

I have a Dell PERC S300 RAID adapter, who not work with SSD drives (2x 240Gb drives see as 127Gb ).

It was equipped with a LSI SAS1068E Rev. B3 chip.

I want to use it with my Hackintosh (Asus P7P55D LE and Core i5-750 with OS-X Sierra 10.12.6) in RAID mode (RAID 0) for A/V editing (in a first time with 2x2Tb WD Black RE10, later with 4 SSD drive)

I think I should flash the BIOS and Firmware for that (I try all drivers I have found without result).

The S300 seems close to LSI SAS3081E-R adapter (1068E, 2x4 internal ports SAS/SATA, PCI-Ex8...) but I don't know if 3081E-R is compatible with the Mac's driver. If not, I can also use Linux (Ubuntu?) instead OS-X 10.12.6 Sierra

Can you help me?

Soon, I will receive an Asus PIKE2008 adapter for an Z8NA-D6 motherboard, with a SAS2008 chipset. I don't know if this adapter have a generic BIOS or a specific one, and if it work in Mac OS-X with the driver...

https://www.asus.com/be-fr/Commercial-Servers-Workstations/Z8NAD6/overview/

https://www.asus.com/us/Commercial-Servers-Workstations/PIKE_2008/

Thanks for any help you can provide

On 8/21/2013 at 8:59 AM, Fireball3 said:

After successfully bricking the Fujitsu D2607 by downflashing it  :'(

I'm proud to be able to contribute to this thread and hereby report:

LSI MegaRAID with SAS2008 chipsets

3) DELL Perc H310 as well as H200 Flashed successfully to LSI9211-8i IT (P20)

3TB Drive Support with this card: YES (UPDATE: 5.0Beta7 added 3TB Drive support)

Drive Spin Down support: YES (UPDATE: Added as of 5.0Beta7)

Drive Temp Readings: YES

Toolset_PercH310 to LSIMegaraid.zip (DOS, via bootable usb key)

http://www45.zippyshare.com/v/51016808/file.html (for some reason I can't embed the link...)

MD5:80174075959fb7d1ff8c6362f7241bfe

Update on 06.08.2014

Included the P19 firmware

http://www21.zippyshare.com/v/9541812/file.html

Update on 01.12.2014

Possible issues with P20 firmware! See this post and this.

Update on 23.10.2015

There is an new version of Avago (former LSI) P20 (20.00.04.00) which seems to be OK with unRAID. See this post.

Update on 15.09.2015

User opentoe found out that the DELL IT firmware is also working with unRAID.

It's your decision what to flash. Flashing DELL firmware is easier and supported by DELL!

opentoe's verdict on DELL IT or Avago (former LSI).

Update on 07.06.2016

There is a new firmware from Avago. P20.00.07.00

The toolset has been updated accordingly. First impressions.

http://www3.zippyshare.com/v/xZKIOHaz/file.html

https://www.mediafire.com/?8f82hx4c032a929

MD5: 24f7d428292e00f9dee6f715d8564202

Update on 30.12.2016

Firmware is still P20.00.07.00

Switch to RUFUS for bootdisk creation.

Added alternative ways to extract controller info if MegaCli is not working.

https://www.mediafire.com/?9cbklh4i1002n23

MD5: 7d90f84c831e8b939c5536d9eb03ba81

Update on 23.02.2017

Uses sas2flsh through the whole process.

Tested on a "backflashed" H200, to be confirmed on a stock H200 card and on H310's.

Card backup is now dumping the full flash. This can be used to restore the initial condition of the card.

Added script for automatic SAS address extraction. No reboot necessary any more.

https://www.mediafire.com/?0op114fpim9xwwf

MD5: 2fbe3d562846e493714a9e8ac3f15923

Due to missing UEFI environment, no changes nor testing with UEFI shell.

Update on 30.03.2017, v2

Spiced up the routines with some checks to automatically select the right tool if one is not working.

Tested on a stock H310 as well as a H200 - works for me. Post your experience in the forum.

https://www.mediafire.com/?6b77v4s7czluvs2

MD5: 6cb92336ff537aeb838085a028aa6601

Update on 11.04.2017, v3

Added files for use in an EFI environment. Untested due to missing hardware.

Post your experience in the forum.

https://www.mediafire.com/?9ovj2rxuaf43wv4

MD5: t.b.d.

Update on 17.04.2017, v4 <--- this is the latest, use this one!

Corrections for EFI environment. Untested due to missing hardware.

Post your experience in the forum.

https://www.mediafire.com/?py9c1w5u56xytw2

MD5: t.b.d.

If you experience the "failed to initialize PAL" error somewhere in step 5, you have to boot from

UEFI shell and try again or use another mainboard. See here how to use UEFI shell (Kudos 2 Maglin).

Make sure you read and understand the __READMEFIRST.txt before starting!

If you experience troubles or something is not clear, don't hesitate to ask for help.

You can help improving the howto by doing so. Chances are small but you can brick the controller!

So much for the Wiki. If anyone has access and can grant me access, I'd love to help edit it and update it.
H200 works with firmware 20, running on unRAID 6.6.7

Great instructions and necessary files here: https://techmattr.wordpress.com/2016/04/11/updated-sas-hba-crossflashing-or-flashing-to-it-mode-dell-perc-h200-and-h310/comment-page-1/ (S/O to techmattr on Reddit)

Sorry if this question has been asked a lot, is it best practice to use all SATA ports on your motherboard before using the ones on the controller? I have 8 ports on my motherboard, i'm using all 8 (2x for SSD and 6x HDD) but want to add more drives, is it better to use 8xHDD on the controller and leave 2xSSD on the motherboard?

Edited by bobokun
30 minutes ago, bobokun said:

Sorry if this question has been asked a lot, is it best practice to use all SATA ports on your motherboard before using the ones on the controller? I have 8 ports on my motherboard, i'm using all 8 (2x for SSD and 6x HDD) but want to add more drives, is it better to use 8xHDD on the controller and leave 2xSSD on the motherboard?

Depending on the SSDs/HBA you have trim might not work, so better leave them on the onboard ports, as for the disks it won't make any difference.

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, bobokun said:

Depending what HBA you got, you might get better throughput using the on board.

11 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

Depending on the SSDs/HBA you have trim might not work, so better leave them on the onboard ports, as for the disks it won't make any difference.

This too :-)

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I successfully flashed my H200 into IT mode using the bat files. How do I check from Unraid whether or not my controller is the latest firmware version? Under system devices I see 

IOMMU group 20:[1000:0072] 07:00.0 Serial Attached SCSI controller: LSI Logic / Symbios Logic SAS2008 PCI-Express Fusion-MPT SAS-2 [Falcon] (rev 03)

8 hours ago, bobokun said:

How do I check from Unraid whether or not my controller is the latest firmware version?

In the syslog, search for a line similar to this:

May 1 08:09:02 Tower7 kernel: mpt2sas_cm0: LSISAS2008: FWVersion(20.00.07.00), ChipRevision(0x03), BiosVersion(07.39.02.00)

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
18 hours ago, danito said:

hello

update h200 and ....

Invalid PCIe card found in the Internal Storage slot!

System halted!

Welcome to the UNRAID forums!

Which board are we talking about?

Is it the primary slot that used to be used with a graphics card?

Maybe setting the graphics output to you primary video card, not the PCIe card.

Try another slot?

2 hours ago, Fireball3 said:

Welcome to the UNRAID forums!

Which board are we talking about?

Is it the primary slot that used to be used with a graphics card?

Maybe setting the graphics output to you primary video card, not the PCIe card.

Try another slot?

Hello,
the update was made on the Dell R710.
After restart I'm throwing that error.

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, johnnie.black said:

It's not, there are instructions for those controllers somewhere earlier in this thread.

OK; please can can you explain how you can tell, so I can understand better? Its Fujitsu hardware, so I was expecting at least some reference to Fujitsu somewhere in the boot environment!

I wonder if someone has possibly started to flash it and it got screwed up perhaps because it appears as a "AVAGO MegaRAID" in windows 10, the "Ctrl-H" option doesn't work, the "Ctrl-Y" does work (and i get to the CLI), but the "C" option does not take you to the config screen as it bumps back into windows boot.

No worries - I'll dig out the instructions for flashing it to the full LSI, as I was expecting to have to do that anyway!

21 hours ago, PitRejection2359 said:

OK; please can can you explain how you can tell, so I can understand better? Its Fujitsu hardware, so I was expecting at least some reference to Fujitsu somewhere in the boot environment!

I wonder if someone has possibly started to flash it and it got screwed up perhaps because it appears as a "AVAGO MegaRAID" in windows 10, the "Ctrl-H" option doesn't work, the "Ctrl-Y" does work (and i get to the CLI), but the "C" option does not take you to the config screen as it bumps back into windows boot.

No worries - I'll dig out the instructions for flashing it to the full LSI, as I was expecting to have to do that anyway!

There are many info. here or internet, btw you may ref. below one

https://www.syxin.com/2014/03/crossflashing-an-ibm-m1115-raid-controller-to-lsi-firmware/

Edited by Benson

*** UPDATE ***

Always check the obvious, I'm embarrassed to confirm I had not mounted the drives in the caddies properly so they were not making connection to the back plane.

Must of had my eyes shut.................

*** :) *** 

Hi All,

First up, apologies if this is covered somewhere in the 65 pages of this thread!

I have aquired a dell T620 server. It had a PERC H710 raid card which I have removed and replaced with an LSI 9211 8i card flashed reportedly successfully to FW 20.00.07.00 and bios 07.39.02.00

According to syslog Unraid can see the controller and all appears ok, it reports as in IT mode.

Into the controller I have two SAS leads plugged into a Dell M05TM 8 x LFF Backplane. Into the drive bays I have two different WD Red Hard drives one 3TB and one 6TB drives but neither drive is showing up within Unraid Unassigned devices nor in the bios anywhere.

I have tried all 8 slots with both drives but they just dont show up.

Has anybody had experience of backplanes failing? or can anybody give me some further pointers as I am trying not to spend much cash on getting my unraid box moved into new hardware.

Thanks

Edited by dgs2001
Post Update
3 hours ago, dgs2001 said:

Hi All,

First up, apologies if this is covered somewhere in the 65 pages of this thread!

I have aquired a dell T620 server. It had a PERC H710 raid card which I have removed and replaced with an LSI 9211 8i card flashed reportedly successfully to FW 20.00.07.00 and bios 07.39.02.00

According to syslog Unraid can see the controller and all appears ok, it reports as in IT mode.

Into the controller I have two SAS leads plugged into a Dell M05TM 8 x LFF Backplane. Into the drive bays I have two different WD Red Hard drives one 3TB and one 6TB drives but neither drive is showing up within Unraid Unassigned devices nor in the bios anywhere.

I have tried all 8 slots with both drives but they just dont show up.

Has anybody had experience of backplanes failing? or can anybody give me some further pointers as I am trying not to spend much cash on getting my unraid box moved into new hardware.

Thanks

Does PERC H710 raid card would detect HDD ? If yes then it should be 9211 problem.

Edited by Benson
5 hours ago, Benson said:

Does PERC H710 raid card would detect HDD ? If yes then it should be 9211 problem.

Hi, No the PERC H710 is Raid only so I have swapped it for a LSI 9211 8i.

Glad to report my problem was a school boy error.....

I had not inserted the drives into the caddies correctly !!

.................  Feeling rather stupid now !

Thank you for trying to help. 

• Like 1