LSI Controller FW updates IR/IT modes

I posted some weeks ago that i waited for my LSI card and said that i was gonna update how it went with it. The LSI card is now in the machine, actully it was allready in IT mode firmware. I orderd a card without any descripten whit "FREENAS- UNRAID - ZFS READY" becuse i thought that i wanted to exprimentet with that part my self. But i got a flashed anyway. No worries, kind of nice to just plugg it in and start without any problems for once.

So now the LSI take cares of 8 drives to the array and the sata ports are to ssds, 2 SSDs are plugged in and 2 m.2 NVME and it runs really good actully. This was a good expansion to the main build.

The card is IBM LSI not sure what the model no are but i remember that the firmware was 10 something, and i guess that is a old fw but it works without any problems.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

A long time ago, I switched an LSI to IT mode without issues. I'm about to update my old HP freenas, and I got a cheap LSI board from amazon but I havent been able to flash it correctly so far. I collected many firmwares from many places, and put everything on a EFI/DOS bootable USB key.

I have the following content :

a7f42e2e834eb5857de0f6a2ff024954 *6GBPSAS.FW
6623426bffa9891d13deceb726ace2ab *DELL-A10-6GBPSAS-8e-IT.FW
39b41baedb989c1b6ad173a59b6a793f *H200A.FW
bcb1908e4239a555f264641510fdaa75 *2118ir.bin
8d8cd74b8080bbe100aedb8dff092301 *LSI-P20-2118it.bin
df4d912729c8daf2df98f881195c326f *LSI-P7-2118it.bin
f2539f86c58a5ec446b4e6d30d2fdd46 *sbrempty.bin
7166b8127665e5ea86a6ae7e939b79f6 *sbrfj.bin
7bfe05a0461a82f30339387183bc86b1 *LSI-P20-sas2flash.efi
bcf8814fe35afefd346168103f63211a *LSI-P5-sas2flash.efi
7bfe05a0461a82f30339387183bc86b1 *sas2flash.efi
4eae78687342155df60955eb76d40cd4 *sas2flash_p19.efi
7bfe05a0461a82f30339387183bc86b1 *sas2flash_P20.efi
bcf8814fe35afefd346168103f63211a *sas2flash_p5.efi

I include the md5sum as some files with the same name have different content...... making things even more complicated.

I had some doubts on the chipset so I removed the heatsink, and noticed the thermal compound was completely dry and inefficient so I cleaned it and put a decent one. Here is the chip of the card https://photos.app.goo.gl/NXBhBz2EtjHhnJie6

megarec -cleanflash 0 works as expected, as well as megarec -writesbr 0 sbrempty.bin (tried also with sbrfj.bin)

Things get worse when trying to upload firmware using sas2flash (P5 version, but tried others as well) : it always ends up with the famous "Failed to validate MfgPage2"

Each time, I went back to megarec to clean, and then repeat using different firmware, different sas2flash versions.

I also put the card in the PC where I succedded with the previous card, but still no luck.

Any idea on what I'm doing wrong ? Next step would be to return the card to the vendor (I asked him if he had any drivers or anything, but no)

Thanks.

Hello,

I had some doubts on the chipset so I removed the heatsink, and noticed the thermal compound was completely dry and inefficient so I cleaned it and put a decent one. Here is the chip of the card : https://photos.app.goo.gl/NXBhBz2EtjHhnJie6

Any idea on what I'm doing wrong ? Next step would be to return the card to the vendor (I asked him if he had any drivers or anything, but no)

Thanks

Is the PCB itself genuine LSI or a rebrand?
For LSI you shouldn't need the workaround as for the rebranded cards.
Have you tried the toolset I used for the Dell adapters?
Should be linked in my signature. Ima posting this from my mobile so can't provide a link right now.
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi there.

I switched from a Syba SI-PEX40064 to a LSI SAS 9207-8i (bought on ebay, should be already on it-mode as it was in the headline)

But after switching on my system, the disks are not showing up in unraid, so the card is not working proberly or? Or is just the it-mode not working?

Im a bit helpless at this point :/ - thought it would be a plug & play switch only.

4 minutes ago, Toobie said:

Hi there.

I switched from a Syba SI-PEX40064 to a LSI SAS 9207-8i (bought on ebay, should be already on it-mode as it was in the headline)

But after switching on my system, the disks are not showing up in unraid, so the card is not working proberly or? Or is just the it-mode not working?

Im a bit helpless at this point :/ - thought it would be a plug & play switch only.

Are the disks detected in the HBA bios? Most common reason for this is using the wrong cables, you need forward breakout cables, reverse breakout look the same but won't work for this, you can also post diags to confirm HBA is being detected correctly.

22 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

Are the disks detected in the HBA bios? Most common reason for this is using the wrong cables, you need forward breakout cables, reverse breakout look the same but won't work for this, you can also post diags to confirm HBA is being detected correctly.

Ok, this is absolutely new for me. The HBA Bios is the Bios from the Controller? If yes, how do I get into this Bios?

1 minute ago, Toobie said:

Ok, this is absolutely new for me. The HBA Bios is the Bios from the Controller? If yes, how do I get into this Bios?

If there is one, since it's optional, it will show at boot time, unless OPROM are disable in the board bios (or it's booting UEFI), like mentioned you can also post the diags.

Cables appear to the correct ones, no HBA is being detected, try a different slot if available, or a different PC to confirm it's not DOA.
Ok, I switched to the second port, but the bios is saying there is no card in the PCI slot..

The blue one I tried first, now it's on the black.715b31d0a8ad752b030b4ad00244f78b.jpg3f3cd3e8b2567fa4bec91f65fff44a51.jpg

Sent from my MI 9 using Tapatalk

On 1/11/2020 at 11:04 AM, Fireball3 said:

Is the PCB itself genuine LSI or a rebrand?
For LSI you shouldn't need the workaround as for the rebranded cards.
Have you tried the toolset I used for the Dell adapters?
Should be linked in my signature. Ima posting this from my mobile so can't provide a link right now.

Well, I finally sorted it by using the following sequence :

megarec -cleanflash 0

flash sbrempty.bin with megarec

flash LSI-P7-2118it.bin with  sas2flash_p14.exe

flash LSI-P20-2118it.bin with  sas2flash_p19.exe

flash with  LSI-P20-mptsas2.rom with sas2flash_p19.exe

apply SASID with sas2flash_p19.exe

Thanks for your help !

• 3 weeks later...

Whew, what a thread! Thanks to OP and all who post here, but I've been unable to resolve my issue, so here goes:

I own four (4) LSI branded 9201-16e HBAs, and have been using two of them for a couple of years without incident. I was able to flash them (~4 mins IIRC) to P20 firmware without incident. The other two have just been sitting on a shelf awaiting their time in the sun 🙂

So I got my FreeDOS USB ready and started down a path to hell I've been on for the past couple days LOL

sas2flsh -o -list output:

Adapter Selected is a LSI SAS: SAS2116_1(B1)
Controller is not operational. A firmware download is required.
Enter firmware file name or quit to exit:

When I offer the P20 fw file, I get:

Firmware Image has a Valid Checksum.
Firmware Image compatible with Controller.
Valid NVDATA Image found.
Valid Initialization Image verified.
Valid Bootloader Image verified.

Chip is in FAULT state. Attempting Host Boot...
ERROR: Firmware Host Boot failed !
Due to error remaining commands will not be executed.
Unable to process Commands.
Exiting SAS2Flash.

Attempts to execute the flash command directly (sas2flsh -o -f 9201-16E.BIN) gives same error message.

Attempts to wipe card (sas2flsh -o -e 6 or any other number for that matter) result in same

I've tried sas2flsh v7, v16, and v20.

megarec commands fail as this is an LSI branded card

Is there any hope for my cards? I have two like this... TIA

EDIT: FYI, I've also tried on two different systems, both of which are able to flash the other two cards

2nd EDIT: I've tried the above commands with v8, v9, v10, v11, v12, v13, v13-5, v14, v15, v16, v17, v18, v19, and v20, all freshly downloaded from LSI website today. It doesn't appear to be an issue with the wrong version or anything... unless there are tools I'm not using that can fix this I may have a couple of useless cards 😕

Edited by Deke The Geek
Added extra info about systems and versions used
  • 4 weeks later...

-----------------

RESOLVED

-----------------

hi there, 

I hate to be that guy, but I am really here. I was hoping my card would arrive in IT mode just like what others were lucky to get but no dice. 

I got SAS9210-8i with v7.39.02.00 BIOS and 20.00.07.00-IR firmware. I wasn't able to get into the UEFI shell on any of the systems that are available to me so I thought I check here before attempting again. 

is the 9210-8i identical to the 9211-8i? Would someone be able to confirm or point me to the files and steps I need for this card? 

thanks in advance. 

-----------------------

all done, this was actually stupid simple, i think i was just being over cautious. 

-----------------------

Edited by daan_SVK

Hey guys, I'm trying to flash an IBM M5016 (LSI SAS2208 based) to IT mode,

I tried multiple instructions and multiple firmware on it but I get other errors every time, this is one of them, I know that is basically says the firmware isn't Compatible.

But I can't find an IT Firmware for the M5016 (I guess there is none), I know there is a way to let the firmware think it's an 2308 based controller but I don't know how :(

I take any advice I can get, maybe I'm missing something (or I'm just to stupid to do this)

r5ReHCB.jpg

• 4 months later...

I followed a guide to update the firmware on the LSI 9300-8i card and ran into an obstacle. I cleared the flash with "sas3flash.efi -o -e 7" which may have been unnecessary. Now when I try to flash the newest firmware I'm getting the attached error message.

Any ideas how to proceed?

edit:

SOLVED. Used a newer megarec.exe that recognizes the 3008 chip to clear the card. Reflashed in UEFI shell with the latest fw and rom.

IMG_20200803_170333__01.jpg

Edited by AlphaXL
Typos
  • 1 month later...

Hi Im a newbie to DIY nas world. Recently I picked up a Intel Server Board S3420GP system with an Intel RAID Controller RS2WC080. I have been doing research prior to installing Unraid on this system and noted discussions around firmware crossflashing for IT mode. Have a couple of questions for those that are experienced.

a) At the moment on system boot I get a message saying the raid controller is in JBOD mode. When I press ctrl + g it doesnt go into raid bios. Guessing there is no bios flashed. Will Unraid work with this controller in JBOD mode? 

b) How do I tell if the controller is already flashed or in IT model prior to flashing? There is EFI command line i can boot into. Is there an EFI command I could use?