LSI Controller FW updates IR/IT modes

I recently got my hands on 2 SAS3041 Cards, they're both PCIe Gen 2 cards that only support<2tb drives and 4 SATA/sas drives per card. The chips are LSI1064E B1 and LSI1064 BE (flashed to 6.34 bios and IT mode) my issue is that the B1 chip will not detect /boot in any PCIE gen 3.0 machine but the B3 chip works fine. Has anyone Else experienced something similar? (There was a old thread about a DELL card that uses the same B1 chip where covering B5 andB6 pins solved the issue but it's not working for me.

Edited by bossmaster
misspelled B3 AS BE

I have a IBM ServeRAID M1015 flashed with LSI firmware in IT mode, but it doesn't get detected on my motherboard (MSI Z270 Gaming Pro Carbon) with a Core i7 7700K CPU.
I have tried every pcie slot on the motherboard, but with no success.
I tried with putting the card in my desktop PC (an AMD Ryzen 5900X system) and it works all right there.
Is there anything I can do to get it working on the Intel system, or do I have to buy some other motherboard/CPU combo?

'lspci' gives this output, so the card is not detected at all:

Spoiler

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v6/7th Gen Core Processor Host Bridge/DRAM Registers (rev 05)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation HD Graphics 630 (rev 04)
00:08.0 System peripheral: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v5/v6 / E3-1500 v5 / 6th/7th/8th Gen Core Processor Gaussian Mixture Model
00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 200 Series/Z370 Chipset Family USB 3.0 xHCI Controller
00:14.2 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation 200 Series PCH Thermal Subsystem
00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation 200 Series PCH CSME HECI #1
00:17.0 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 200 Series PCH SATA controller [AHCI mode]
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 200 Series PCH PCI Express Root Port #1 (rev f0)
00:1c.4 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 200 Series PCH PCI Express Root Port #5 (rev f0)
00:1c.7 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 200 Series PCH PCI Express Root Port #8 (rev f0)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 200 Series PCH LPC Controller (Z270)
00:1f.2 Memory controller: Intel Corporation 200 Series/Z370 Chipset Family Power Management Controller
00:1f.4 SMBus: Intel Corporation 200 Series/Z370 Chipset Family SMBus Controller
00:1f.6 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Ethernet Connection (2) I219-V
02:00.0 USB controller: ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM2142 USB 3.1 Host Controller
03:00.0 SATA controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88SE9215 PCIe 2.0 x1 4-port SATA 6 Gb/s Controller (rev 10)

4 hours ago, ICDeadPpl said:

I have a IBM ServeRAID M1015 flashed with LSI firmware in IT mode, but it doesn't get detected on my motherboard

On certain motherboards, taping over pins B5 and B6 on the PCIe connector of the card is necessary to get the board recognized.  I had to do this with my Dell H310.

Although this is very common with the H310, the IBM M1015 is essentially the same card and, in some cases, tape is needed on them as well.

See this post for more details.

Edited by Hoopster
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 3/22/2021 at 7:48 PM, JorgeB said:

Depends if your board has one or not, you can find more info it with Google, for example:

https://superuser.com/questions/1057446/how-do-i-boot-to-uefi-shell

I tried flashing in windows first but it just reset or BSOD the pc when i tried, so i've taken the dos route instead, but now im in the same boat as folic86 with the pal error. I have booted to efi shell via a usbkey with the EDK2 binary but now im lost. How do i execute sas2flash.exe from EFI shell, is that even possible? i can navigate folders fine and see the files but dont know how to proceed :(

Hope you or someone can help me i never used EFI shell before

huh, i just cross-flashed my Dell H200 to LSI latest firmware on my Supermicro X8 server board - card is working as expected - connected HDD to test and it shows up as expected.

then i moved this card to my desktop board - older Asus H97-Plus, and card is not visible at all - heartbeat Led not blinking, bios show no card in this slot. i tried both x16 slots to no avail.

i have tried another desktop board - asrock fatal1ty z77 professional-m, and result is the same.

i tried this duct tape mod to cover pins 5 and 6 with electric tape - didn't help either.. 

so i'm stuck with that, any suggestion welcome :)

Thanks 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all from fiew days i try find way to LSI SAS3081E-S Sun L3-01139-03G ti IT all links with flash / bios are ofline i know the way jsut cant find a right flash file.

And anybody know did that card can handle drives 8t and up ? 

Thank you for anny reply and help ! Regards

24 minutes ago, f4n4tyk said:

can i ask what model handle 8tb ? 

Any SAS2 or SAS3 model, SAS1 LSI HBAs are limited to 2TiB

24 minutes ago, f4n4tyk said:

LSI SAS 9200-8i 8-port 6Gb

LSI 6Gbps SAS HBA LSI 9200-8i = (9211-8I)

Those are SAS2 so not a problem.

On 5/12/2021 at 3:33 PM, JorgeB said:

Any SAS2 or SAS3 model, SAS1 LSI HBAs are limited to 2TiB

Those are SAS2 so not a problem.

so can i please how to find the sas 2 and 3 ? what the number thye are i try to find but i cant..

i think LSI SAS3081E-S is sas3 

if this not problem can i please models of sas 2 and sas3 what can handle 8tb and more ? thank you

Just now, JorgeB said:

No, that's SAS1, 92xx models are SAS2, 93xx models are SAS3.

ook thank you apreciate..

can i pelase jsut ask all that sas2 nad 3 on oryginal raid mode .. can u recomended what model or meybe all modes can be flashed to it to can use normal hdd without raid ?