LSI Controller FW updates IR/IT modes

i have just got hold of a IBM ServeRAID M1015 card and struggled a bit to try and update to the latest LSI firmware (P15) once cross flashed to LSI 9211-8i.

i have now got it all figured out so thought i would share the tools i used and notes on how to update both the firmware and bios revisions to the latest version (as of feb 2013).

download the zip from the following location and unzip and then open the text file "upgrade instructions.txt" and follow carefully.

http://sharesend.com/0m95ic8t

IMPORTANT:- please note this will ONLY work once the M1015 has been cross flashed to a LSI 9211-8i (firmware revision P11) using the instructions shown in the first post of this thread.

i hope this helps somebody out.  :D

Thank you for taking the time to do this, extremely helpful!

Hey guys

I just got a second ibm 1015m which i flashed to it,and i upgraded both my cards to latest firmware/bios as per instrctions in this thread. However,both card said "adapter settings have changed,re-config is suggested" so i ctrl-c on boot, and now i am confused,because i have never seen these menues before. What settings do i need in the interrupt hook thingy? Under boot support do i put bios and os or disable this? I am not booting from any of these cards.

Also,in boot order,there is only a 0 by 1 of the cards,the other has empty boot order,is this normal?

Thank you

Am I blind or something?  I can't find any instructions.  I have a OEM version of LSI 9220-8i, using LSI SAS2008

Maybe you are confused by the model names...the 9220-8i under LSI brand does not exist ... it is a OEM version already.

Some M1015 have a sticker stating 9220 model...but they are a OEM version which is called 9210 by LSI.

They are compatible to a 9211 although they have a different look/layout.

So what card is it you have and what firmware is already on it?

You should find all info in the first posts of this thread.

Hi

Looks like I was bidding against you for one of the cards lol as i got one of the 4 the seller was offering. I paid a little less though  :-p

Anyway I just recently flashed the card successfully using the instructions I obtain in this thread.

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=25971.msg226806#msg226806

Edit

The only thing i cant figure out is how to get into the config utility the Ctrl-C dosent seem to work

This is what I have:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181077904387?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

How do I find the find the firmware version? In bootup?  I have a testing rig

...a perfect M1015 ... use the "converting" instructions from this post: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=12767.msg121131#msg121131

File "LSI MegaRAID to SAS2008(P11).zip" is what you want to go with.

The only thing i cant figure out is how to get into the config utility the Ctrl-C dosent seem to work

...should work...but some mobo BIOS allow to disable secondary BIOS Post.

But for running it, the BIOS is not needed....no harm done if you leave it at standard settings, I'd say.

That's good to know it shows the drives attached but when i press Ctrl + C It says something about initializing something then carries on.

I don't get to see the screenshot on the first post to disable the "Boot Support"

That's good to know it shows the drives attached but when i press Ctrl + C It says something about initializing something then carries on.

I don't get to see the screenshot on the first post to disable the "Boot Support"

..odd.

My suspect is some setting in your mobo BIOS or some sort of incompatibility.

Did you try another slot?

BOOT Support will speed up during boot....maybe a rare occasion.

More of interest is maybe the staggered spinup setup in the advanced settings.

However, you could as well omit the card BIOS during flash if there is some more severe interference.

Also the latest FW is P15....don't know if this versio n will improve things with BIOS.

...see this for upgrading after the cross flash: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=22428.msg199067#msg199067

FYI, for anyone using ESXi 5.1 with LSI controllers.

Critical patch just announced: http://kb.vmware.com/kb/2043967

Summaries and Symptoms

This patch updates the esx-base VIB to resolve an issue that occurs when level-triggered interrupts are invoked for the same device or driver in two different CPUs of an ESXi host and are run simultaneously, the ESXi host stops responding and displays a purple diagnostic screen. The following message appears in the stack trace:

mpt2sas_base_get_smid_scsiio

or

Failed at vmkdrivers/src_9/vmklinux_9/vmware/linux_scsi.c:2221 -- NOT REACHED

When reviewing the VMkernel logs included as part of a VMkernel core dump, you will see an ALERT similar to the following prior to the outage:

ALERT: LinScsi: SCSILinuxCmdDone:2220:Attempted double completion

This patch resolves the issue by improving the interrupt handling mechanism for level-triggered interrupts.

Personally I use a RAID setup based on a LSI controller in IR mode for my ESXi datastores to use.

I do have other LSI controllers that I pass-through (VMDirect Path) to the unRAID guest.

Your assuming no one here uses a LSI controller for the ESXi host; it was an FYI.