LSI Controller FW updates IR/IT modes

Looking at your sig, I see you have a RAID 0 array as your parity. I am wondering if that is giving you the better than expected results. I am sure it would have a positive impact, I just don't know how much.

Yes, i have Raid0 array as parity, but for parity check it should be as fast as the slowest drive. for me it's not parity, but i have three 4TB data drives - all 1TB/platter "green" drives, so it works as expected.

Two more messages, just for reference:

Total size: 4 TB

Elapsed time: 6 hours, 59 minutes

Current position: 3,50 TB (87,6 %)

Estimated speed: 105,2 MB/sec

Estimated finish: 1 hour, 18 minutes

Sync errors detected: 0

Parity check finished (0 errors)

Description: Duration: 8 hours, 30 minutes, 38 seconds. Average speed: 130,5 MB/sec

The max overall speed that I saw was 90 MB/sec. But that is with a 20 disk array on 3 M1015s on a single CPU board. It might be the most you can expect from the X9SCM with M1015. I doubt a 2 disk RAID0 parity would help much. It might improve when I move to all 4 or 6 TB disks.

when i was on X9SCM-iif with same configuration of disks, the results are pretty the same. so i think it's not CPU related.. i have 4 vCPUs assigned to unRAID VM, and i see, parity check utilize approx one vCPU fully.. what is your CPU usage when doing parity check?

and sorry - i have no more hdd's there, so can't test with more added..

one more question - you have 3 M015 - this mean one is working on x4 slot. - how many hdds you have connected to that slot? with 8 hdds using all at once, you will suffer for some bandwith bottleneck..

The x4 slot only has 4 disks. I saw that your board also has a LSI SAS controller onboard. Do you use it? Or can't it be flashed to IT mode? I saw some guy here in Holland offering the same motherboard with some CPUs for little over 100 Euros. I wrote him an email offering 75 Euros, lets see how that goes.

I got much better speeds of close to 120 MB/sec on an entirely different platform with 6 disks and G2020 Pentium CPU which ran V6.0.0. All disks were on onboard SATA sockets.

The x4 slot only has 4 disks. I saw that your board also has a LSI SAS controller onboard. Do you use it? Or can't it be flashed to IT mode? I saw some guy here in Holland offering the same motherboard with some CPUs for little over 100 Euros. I wrote him an email offering 75 Euros, lets see how that goes.

I got much better speeds of close to 120 MB/sec on an entirely different platform with 6 disks and G2020 Pentium CPU which ran V6.0.0. All disks were on onboard SATA sockets.

I got mine board from ebay (DE) at 200 Eur without CPU/RAM, so your offer is very cheep(may be board are semi-broken ? remember to test.).. mine was with unknown bios password on arrival, so needed to re-flash latest  BIOS, and yes flashed on-board SAS 2008 with IT firmware too - works like a charm. i'm not using it with unRAID but in different VM.

The board can be seen working before buying it. It will be pulled from a Supermicro chassis. It has 2 low power Xeon CPUs, L5630.

Maybe that is a drawback? But they sell the memory separately.

i don't think so, these low power procs will work just fine i think..

mine are second powerful in all range, and uses much power - when idle it uses about 100W without any hdd/controllers. at full load it uses over 200W.

The board can be seen working before buying it. It will be pulled from a Supermicro chassis. It has 2 low power Xeon CPUs, L5630.

Maybe that is a drawback? But they sell the memory separately.

i don't think so, these low power procs will work just fine i think..

mine are second powerful in all range, and uses much power - when idle it uses about 100W without any hdd/controllers. at full load it uses over 200W.

Other question:

What memory do I need for this board, would the Kingston UDIMMS from my X9SCM work?

Other question:

What memory do I need for this board, would the Kingston UDIMMS from my X9SCM work?

according to http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/QPI/5500/X8DTH-6F.cfm supported memory types is:

Supports up to 192 GB 1333 / 1066 / 800MHz DDR3 ECC Registered memory

Supports up to 48 GB 1333 / 1066 / 800MHz DDR3 ECC / Non ECC Unbuffered memory

i'm using Registered ones, but i think your UDIMMs will work just fine.

you can always check your memory compliance at kingston's website too!

Why is everyone doing the extra steps on the H310 cards? These are the only commands I used and both cards I flashed are working just fine in my unraid server now.

megarec -writesbr 0 sbrempty.bin    (wipes the card so to recognize as an LSI)

MegaRec -cleanflash 0

reboot

sas2flsh -o -f 6GBSAS.FW

After that you are done. You don't need the BIOS boot, unless you have to boot into the card for some reason. Also, I never had to reprogram the cards address. I guess you don't need to do that since I used the Dell 6GBSAS firmware. Seems from looking at the batch files if you use the LSI firmware you need to re-program the SAS address. Why not with the Dell IT firmware, have no idea. I used the utility RUFUS to make a bootable USB stick and flashed each card by itself in the PCIE slot.

Thanks for these instructions, worked perfectly.

Fastest controllers I tried, can get 300MB/s+ parity check on my test server with 8 SSDs.

Why is everyone doing the extra steps on the H310 cards? These are the only commands I used and both cards I flashed are working just fine in my unraid server now.

megarec -writesbr 0 sbrempty.bin    (wipes the card so to recognize as an LSI)

MegaRec -cleanflash 0

reboot

sas2flsh -o -f 6GBSAS.FW

After that you are done. You don't need the BIOS boot, unless you have to boot into the card for some reason. Also, I never had to reprogram the cards address. I guess you don't need to do that since I used the Dell 6GBSAS firmware. Seems from looking at the batch files if you use the LSI firmware you need to re-program the SAS address. Why not with the Dell IT firmware, have no idea. I used the utility RUFUS to make a bootable USB stick and flashed each card by itself in the PCIE slot.

Thanks for these instructions, worked perfectly.

Fastest controllers I tried, can get 300MB/s+ parity check on my test server with 8 SSDs.

Glad to hear. I have 4 Dell H310 cards. 2 flashed with Dell IT's firmware and 2 flashed with LSI's firmware. I tried using all 4 cards in different arrangements and all 4 performed identical. I'll put my SAS2LP cards aside, maybe one day there will be a fix for their slow parity check speeds.

I'd like to thank all that have worked on the flashing.

I've flashed an IBM 1015 to IT on a Lenovo TS140.

It is a bare TS140 with just the 1015 card in the PCI-e x 16 slot.

I used another laptop running Win 7 for download etc.

Procedure that worked for me (flashing to P19,as I saw some people mention problems with P20):

TS140

-I first updated the TS140 to latest bios

-have CSM  enabled to boot from DOS (and UEFI was enabled)

Other pc

-Download LSI MegaRAID to SAS2008(P11).zip

- Unzip and open "_ReadMeFirst.txt" for instructions

-Format USB stick and transfer files as per instructions

TS140

-Change boot order to USB and run 1.bat, 2.bat, 3.bat

-For some reason 3.bat failed the first time, but on second try, it worked.

-For 5.IT, I got the PAL error.

Other pc

-Read http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=25891.msg225711#msg225711 reply#4

i.e. do the rest of the steps via UEFI.

-As the TS140 does not have an integrated UEFI shell (can't boot to shell), download UEFI

shell v1 from Archlinux site (although TS140 has UEFI 2.3, so shell V2 would be more compatible - didn't

try V2), rename the shell to bootx64.efi , and place as follows on USB used above:

\efi\boot\bootx64.efi (as required by TS140 instruction manual).

-For some reason I downloaded the P15 versions of the firmware/bios and UEFI loader

(maybe because I read somewhere that a two step process works i.e. P15->P19- it may work

directly to P19 - I didn't try that).

TS140

-disable CSM - only UEFI enabled

- boot to USB and follow the reply #4 instructions

- for P15

- immediatelly afterwards for P19

Thanks again, to everyone for the help

@ Fireball3

I have a couple of H310s that i am attempting to flash to Dell IT/HBA mode or LSI P16/P17 - was able to dump or erase bios/firmware and extract SAS address, but when i go to flash i get:

DELL IT (Step 5.1)

Advanced Mode Set

Adapter Selected is a LSI SAS: SAS2008(B2)   

Executing Operation: Flash Firmware Image

Firmware Image has a Valid Checksum. 
	Firmware Version 07.15.08.00
	Firmware Image compatible with Controller. 

Valid NVDATA Image found. 
	NVDATA Version 07.00.00.00 
ERROR: Failed to Upload Image!
	Firmware Image Validation Failed! 

Firmware Returned Exception. IOCStatus=0x4, IOCLogInfo=0x0
Due to error remaining commands will not be executed.
Unable to Process Commands.
Exiting SAS2Flash.

or LSI P16/P17 (Step 5.3)

Advanced Mode Set

Adapter Selected is a LSI SAS: SAS2008(B2)   

Executing Operation: Flash Firmware Image

Firmware Image has a Valid Checksum. 
	Firmware Version 17.00.01.00
	Firmware Image compatible with Controller. 

Valid NVDATA Image found. 
	NVDATA Version 11.00.00.00 
	Checking for a compatible NVData image... 

NVDATA Device ID and Chip Revision match verified.
	Valid Initialization Image verified.
	Valid BootLoader Image verified.

Chip is in RESET state. Attempting Host Boot...
	Firmware Host Boot Successful.

Writing Current Mfg Page 2 Settings to NVRAM.
	Failed to Validate Mfg Page 2!

Firmware Returned Exception. IOCStatus=0x25, IOCLogInfo=0x0
Due to error remaining commands will not be executed.
Unable to Process Commands.
Exiting SAS2Flash.

Did some searching a found a couple of other guides, but none of them got me any closer to restoring card functionality, any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

I have the same issue like above, is there anybody with a working solution? Tried several different file sets, with the same result. Can only unbrick the controller with dell sbr, flashing full (megarec -m0flash) dell IR roms, and write back the card ID with MegaOEM -AdpSetSASA.

Please advise!

Got hold of a Dell H310 that I'm trying to flash to Lsi with ir firmware - problem is that I get a Nvdata mismatch, see picture.

If I use FireBall3 usb boot files and I changed the bat files to 2118ir.bin but it fails when going to Lsi P7 bios with the mismatch error in bios.

If i flash to P16 I get the 8802 fault code.

Anyone know how to solve this ?

Any help will do - Thanks

HPIM3448.jpg.1ca203f6cbd2ddc38fa53ac9c96ab1e3.jpg

FLASHLOGP16.TXT

I have a M1015 flashed to IT mode. I am facing same issues with my Unraid built and the card / driver came up as one potential reason (http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=42806.0). I am not sure what FW I have installed and had some issues before updating it (http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=26774.45). Any idea what I can do? I am pretty much stuck now...

Any idea on my issue above? Thanks in advance!

I have a M1015 flashed to IT mode. I am facing same issues with my Unraid built and the card / driver came up as one potential reason (http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=42806.0). I am not sure what FW I have installed and had some issues before updating it (http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=26774.45). Any idea what I can do? I am pretty much stuck now...

Any idea on my issue above? Thanks in advance!

I have no experience with the IBM cards but maybe you simply try to flash the card with a known

firmware and see if you still have issues?

Search this thread for instructions specific to the M1015.

Got hold of a Dell H320 that I'm trying to flash to Lsi with ir firmware - problem is that I get a Nvdata mismatch, see picture.

Is there a H320 or is this a typo?

Before flashing the LSI (Pxx) firmware you have to flash the DELL IT firmware!

Did you do this successfully?

H320 was a typo - I corrected it.

Yes, I flash the Dell It firmware first and I can do it successfully - I will attach flashlog for this job and pictures for what it looks like after Dell It flash.

My sas address is 590b11xxx - do I perhaps have to change it to a Lsi address ?

DSC_0321.jpg.1421016fe7f742bb248ada84001d309b.jpg

DSC_0328.jpg.385d18c4484f2c2f7b5fc4bdb2094adb.jpg

DSC_0329.jpg.965ce740b7201836414d4f2e9087d703.jpg

FLASHLOG.TXT

Got hold of a Dell H320 that I'm trying to flash to Lsi with ir firmware - problem is that I get a Nvdata mismatch, see picture.

Is there a H320 or is this a typo?

Before flashing the LSI (Pxx) firmware you have to flash the DELL IT firmware!

Did you do this successfully?

H320 was a typo - I corrected it.

Yes, I flash the Dell It firmware first and I can do it successfully - I will attach flashlog for this job and pictures for what it looks like after Dell It flash.

My sas address is 590b11xxx - do I perhaps have to change it to a Lsi address ?

Have you tried the simpler procedure posted by opentoe?

Worked great for me.

I changed the bat files to 2118ir.bin

Why did you do this?

AFAIK, the package holds all files to get you to LSI firmware P19.

If you substitute something you will have to use the corresponding flash utility (sas2flsh).

Btw. we found out, that you can stay with the DELL IT firmware and run unRAID.

It is not really necessary to flash LSI firmware.

I changed the bat files to 2118ir.bin

Why did you do this?

AFAIK, the package holds all files to get you to LSI firmware P19.

If you substitute something you will have to use the corresponding flash utility (sas2flsh).

Btw. we found out, that you can stay with the DELL IT firmware and run unRAID.

It is not really necessary to flash LSI firmware.

I changed that because I want the Ir firmware not the It firmware - I want to be able to use the card's bios to set up raid.

Oh, I see - didn't notice you want IR.

In this case i wonder, why you don't stay with Dell's default IR software?

In fact, flashing IR is not of interest with unRAID and thus hasn't been

tested here. I can't tell if it should work or not.

Make sure to use the sas2flsh that comes with the firmware!

Maybe it works?