LSI Controller FW updates IR/IT modes

The empty.bin file is in the zip, not sure what you may have done, but you may want to start all over from scratch.

Indeed it was. I had unzipped the file via Finder (Lion). Turns out when you do it that way there is no trace of empty.bin! Once I unzipped via the command line, the file was there and I was able to reflash the card (yay).

Might be worth adding a note to the OP for mac users. I view this as a bug in OS X.

Thanks for your help :) I think I'm set.

Update - I've moved the 4 drives that were on my SAT2-MV8 to the new card and my initial parity check speeds have gone from 25 MB/sec to nearly 90 MB/sec. Huge gain, thanks much!

The empty.bin file is in the zip, not sure what you may have done, but you may want to start all over from scratch.

Indeed it was. I had unzipped the file via Finder (Lion). Turns out when you do it that way there is no trace of empty.bin! Once I unzipped via the command line, the file was there and I was able to reflash the card (yay).

Might be worth adding a note to the OP for mac users. I view this as a bug in OS X.

Thanks for your help :) I think I'm set.

Update - I've moved the 4 drives that were on my SAT2-MV8 to the new card and my initial parity check speeds have gone from 25 MB/sec to nearly 90 MB/sec. Huge gain, thanks much!

I'm abit confused, what Unraid version are you using? Is it fully compatible with this M1015 card?

Another successfully flashed an IBM M1015 to IT mode.  However I did have some problems at step 5.  The version of the sas2flsh util kept giving me an error about no LSI adapter being found. eg:

No LSI SAS adapters found! Limited Command Set Available!
    Finished Processing Commands Successfully.
    Exiting SAS2Flash.

I was finally able to overcome it with one of the versions post/linked to:

LSI Corporation SAS2 Flash Utility
Version 10.00.00.00 (2011.05.13) 
Copyright (c) 2008-2011 LSI Corporation. All rights reserved 

I have been unable to get into the bios since flashing, but I was able to before...I think its a memory space problem as I'm running an intel raid 0 array on this computer and the intel storage matrix loads as well.

FYI the adapter information before flashing:

Adapter #0

==============================================================================
                    Versions
                ================
Product Name    : ServeRAID M1015 SAS/SATA Controller
Serial No       : xxxxxxxx 
FW Package Build: 20.10.1-0036

Mfg. Data
                ================
Mfg. Date       : 06/25/11
Rework Date     : 00/00/00
Revision No     : 02D
Battery FRU     : N/A

Image Versions in Flash:
                ================
BIOS Version       : 4.24.00_4.11.05.00_0x05020000
Preboot CLI Version: 03.02-015:#%00008
WebBIOS Version    : 4.0-46-e_34-Rel
NVDATA Version     : 3.09.03-0017
FW Version         : 2.120.54-1235
Boot Block Version : 2.02.00.00-0001

Pending Images in Flash
                ================
None

PCI Info
                ================
Vendor Id       : 1000
Device Id       : 0073
SubVendorId     : 1014
SubDeviceId     : 03b1

SBR file attached.

My computer info for mobo compatability:

Intel Q9550 Quad cpu

Asus P5Q Deluxe mobo (P45 chipset)

Cheers

Phantom

M1015.zip

Another successfully flashed an IBM M1015 to IT mode.  However I did have some problems at step 5.  The version of the sas2flsh util kept giving me an error about no LSI adapter being found. eg:

No LSI SAS adapters found! Limited Command Set Available!
    Finished Processing Commands Successfully.
    Exiting SAS2Flash.

I was finally able to overcome it with one of the versions post/linked to:

LSI Corporation SAS2 Flash Utility
Version 10.00.00.00 (2011.05.13) 
Copyright (c) 2008-2011 LSI Corporation. All rights reserved 

I have been unable to get into the bios since flashing, but I was able to before...I think its a memory space problem as I'm running an intel raid 0 array on this computer and the intel storage matrix loads as well.

<Snip>

Cheers

Phantom

Curious when you say unable to get into the bios since flashing, you mean pressing control c?  When I press control-c when it comes to the LSI booting it says it will load the configuration later but it never does... is that what is happening with you?

Yep that is exactly what happens

You have a similar board to me, I have the p5q pro, managed to get into the lsi bios by going into the main bios and disabling the marvel ide boot rom.

Yours is probably the same, try that...

Have same issue

have a P5B Plus ...  going to check on that next reboot

I tried Brit's thing by removing all cards from the mobo but that didn't help

i can enter the adaptec and my other cards bios's just not the BR10i

it doesn't really bother me .. it would only save a little time at boot as far as i understand if you disable int13?

anyway next reboot i check for disabling ide ... although i can't remember seeing this... i have a jbm363 onboard but using that for my cache drive .... will try disabling and see if i can get in ...

Yep that is exactly what happens

You have a similar board to me, I have the p5q pro, managed to get into the lsi bios by going into the main bios and disabling the marvel ide boot rom.

Yours is probably the same, try that...

Have same issue

have a P5B Plus ...  going to check on that next reboot

I tried Brit's thing by removing all cards from the mobo but that didn't help

i can enter the adaptec and my other cards bios's just not the BR10i

it doesn't really bother me .. it would only save a little time at boot as far as i understand if you disable int13?

anyway next reboot i check for disabling ide ... although i can't remember seeing this... i have a jbm363 onboard but using that for my cache drive .... will try disabling and see if i can get in ...

Well if its the same on your boards, it will be under Advanced in the bios, then "onboard devices configuration" then there is a marvel section, you just need to disable the boot rom there.

Won't stop HD's connected to the marvel from being used either.

Well if its the same on your boards, it will be under Advanced in the bios, then "onboard devices configuration" then there is a marvel section, you just need to disable the boot rom there.

Won't stop HD's connected to the marvel from being used either.

Did this and managed to get into the BIOS after flashing, no setting I could change, but it nice to see its accessible.

I moved it over to my HP Microserver, imported my zpool and tada all working.  I also installed the lsi megaraid tool under solaris and the card shows up no dramas.

Now for the benchmarking :)

I just tried this on a second m1015 and when I get to the stage of doing 5it.bat it comes back with

ERROR: failed to initialize PAL  Exiting.

Any ideas?

update: ahh reading the thread I see it is caused on the chipset, makes sense as I am flashing this one in a different pc than I used last time.

OK Ill have to take my desktop pc apart again and use that :(

Hi everyone,

I recently got my hands onto a M1015.

Initially I ran into the PAL issue it seems many of us had encountered. I combated this by going through a few systems and finding out that only one of them worked. All the AMD-based systems seem to run into the issue whereas my sole Intel-based system worked perfectly fine.

I followed madburg's provided instructions to the teeth, but now I am stuck once again.

The M1015 would be detected by sas2flash, but after following all the steps and completing the step where I added the SAS addresss and rebooted. I now no longer can detect the device from the BIOS or in Windows.

Any thoughts onto this?

Hi everyone,

I recently got my hands onto a M1015.

Initially I ran into the PAL issue it seems many of us had encountered. I combated this by going through a few systems and finding out that only one of them worked. All the AMD-based systems seem to run into the issue whereas my sole Intel-based system worked perfectly fine.

I followed madburg's provided instructions to the teeth, but now I am stuck once again.

The M1015 would be detected by sas2flash, but after following all the steps and completing the step where I added the SAS addresss and rebooted. I now no longer can detect the device from the BIOS or in Windows.

Any thoughts onto this?

If you run 1.bat does it pick it up?

Unfortunately not, the controller is no longer seen by it.

Doesn't sound good... I guess you have tried flashing it again, like running 5it.bat etc?

Or even, the bat that wipes it.. is that 3.bat?

I'd go through them all again and hope that one might pick it up.  Very weird though.

I have tried to use this LSI MegaRAID SAS2008 Controller.zip - 5.32 MB to flash my serverraid m1015 sas/sata controller.

But it unable to run, having this error message that say fatal error-command tool invoked with wrong parameters.

I running the file on W2k8R2, the controller that I wanted to flash does not connect to any disks.

Kindly advise what is the correct steps to flash.