LSI Controller FW updates IR/IT modes

I would modify the original thread and link to your post Maglin.

Just add the files needed to your post and be a bit more precise.

I've never used EFI shell, so I can't comment on your instructions.

Are steps 1-4 doable under EFI shell also?

How did you perform stops 6 and 7? With EFI shell also?

Maybe highlight what is done in EFI and what in DOS.

Where is the deviation from the original instruction (DOS).

Why didn't you flash P19?

Please add the answers to your upper post to have all the info in one post.

Thanks for reporting your experience!

Been a little while so I'm going to try and outline this a little clearer.  You only need to download one more file to make this all work using the EFI shell for steps 5-7.  So I downloaded "Toolset_PercH310 to LSI9211_P19.zip" and "EFI_Installer_P5.zip" from here.

For steps 1-4 you can use MegaRec on every PC I've tried it on and so I used the .bat files from the toolset to accomplish those.  I also put all these files on a bootable DOS USBstick.  Unzip the toolset into it's own folder and the SAS2FLASH zip into it's own folder.  Copy the P5_sas2flash.efi from the P5 folder and paste it into the folder:

\Toolset_PercH310 to LSI9211_P19\H310_to_LSI\5_LSI_P7

And copy the P16_sas2flash.efi to folders:

\Toolset_PercH310 to LSI9211_P19\H310_to_LSI\5_DELL_IT

\Toolset_PercH310 to LSI9211_P19\H310_to_LSI\5_LSI_P16

Reboot into dos that is on your USB stick. Navigate to \Toolset_PercH310 to LSI9211_P19\H310_to_LSI using "cd" command.  Also to view contents you can use "dir /w" to see what you need to type.

1. Run 1.bat

2. Run 2.bat

3. Run 3.bat

4. Reboot

5. Boot into EFI shell.  type "FSx" [enter] x= the drive letter of your USB drive.  For me it was FS0.  Now you can use "ls" to list the contents of your usb stick and "cd" to change directory.  Also once you type about 3 characters you can auto fill with [Tab] which makes things like navigating long directory names easier.  Go to the \Toolset_PercH310 to LSI9211_P19\H310_to_LSI\5_DELL_IT folder. Now run the following command:

P16_sas2flash -o -f 6gbpsas.fw

"I used a X10SLL which has the EFI shell in the BIOS image.  If you don't you should be able to use EFI shell v1.  I've added them to the zip I'm uploaded just in case.  You have to use google on how to use EFI shell on a puter that requires the EFI files to be on the root of the drive."

6. reboot back into EFI shell and go to the folder \Toolset_PercH310 to LSI9211_P19\H310_to_LSI\5_LSI_P7 and run the following command:

P5_sas2flash -o -f 2118it.bin

You will be asked to confirm the flash and just choose Yes and it will flash from the dell IR FW to the LSI IT FW.

7. Now reboot again into EFI shell and go to \Toolset_PercH310 to LSI9211_P19\H310_to_LSI\5_LSI_P16 and run the following command:

P16_sas2flash -o -f 2118it.bin -b mptsas2.rom (you can omit the "-b mptsas2.rom" if you don't want the boot BIOS.  I recommend you install the BIOS as you can see your drives at boot to ensure your card is working properly)

8. Now enter: P16_sas2flsh -o -sasadd 500605bxxxxxxxxx where "500605bxxxxxxxxx" is the SAS address that you got in step 1.

9. Enjoy your new flashed LSI 2008 card.

I've done this exact process on 3 different cards now.  Even the M1015 just without installing the 6gbpsas.fw first.  I'm not using UnRaid as I like FreeNAS and it is currently on P16 firmware so that is why I stopped there.  If you want to install P19 then go to the LSI site that I linked above and download the Installer_P19_for_UEFI and use that sas2flash.efi file to flash the P19 FW.  You don't want to use the wrong installer for your FW as it can do some strange things.  I only used the P5 installer to be able to  accept the cross flashing of IT FW over IR firmware.

I uploaded to my dropbox.

I just want to say a MASSIVE thank you to Fireball3 and Maglin for both of their walkthroughs  :D

Fireball3's got me to step 3, then i experienced the "failed to initialize PAL" error

and Maglin got me through the rest.

Thank you both very much  :D

If i may enter a little addition for other noobies like myslef,

Maglin's step 5 says

5. Boot into EFI shell.  type "FSx" [enter] x= the drive letter of your USB drive.

Which, for me wasn't quite that straight forward.

First i had to run 'map' so i could see my USB stick and which 'fs' value it had (6),

then i had to run 'map fs6',

then 'fs6:'

Now the USB stick was mounted and i could proceed.

Thank you again,

Rich

Jonny/Fireball3: Okay, i gave the sas2flsh a go. No luck, still says "No LSI adapters found, limited command set available" I thought i might have some luck because if i remember correctly, i had originally flashed to the P20 firmware, which, as Fireball3 said, may have issues with the megarec tool.

So to summarize, both the 1e.bat and 3e.bat give me this error. Again, the card is fully visible in Windows 7.

I have read all of your posts once again.

Please note, the P20 firmware as well as the toolset I linked are for an SAS2008 chipset, not a 1068 card!

The executables should work, but do not flash SAS2008 firmware!

Since you see the adapter in Windows, can you run the tools from within Windows?

Have you searched for specific experience with this board?

e.g.

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=909545

http://www.omniweb.com/wordpress/?p=346

Yeah i know that Fireball ;D I wasnt going to flash the firmware in the package, i just want to get success step by step and then when i have all the pieces together, hopefully the process will work beginning to end  :D

I will attempt running the tools from Windows. Thanks for the links, there is some info and files that should be helpful. Ill update later today.

I've got an LSI branded 9240-8i that I have previously flashed to 9211-8i p12 if I remember. 

If i am looking to update to a newer firmware, is there a preferred firmware version, and which procedure should I follow with a card that hass already been cross-flashed?

Take the H310 toolset, extract the adapter info (step 1) to have your SAS address.

Then go directly to step 5_LSI_P20.

Finally write the SAS address in step 6.

I'm not sure if step 6 is really needed though. It won't hurt if you set it again, but

you could also play nice and check by running step 1 again and see if it has a SAS address.

Guys,

SUCCESS! I ended up using MPTUTIL in the L8i_IT package mentioned earlier in our convo. I used the CLEAR.BAT script, and it basically walked me through the process, getting the SAS number, etc. I should have known earlier, as in the BIOS when booting, it describes the controller as "LSI MPT SAS ROM", which i recognized after booting successfully the first time and it coming up.

So, luckily enough, i didnt brick my controller, and im up and running! Huge thanks to Jonny and Fireball3!

Hi guys, I bought an IBM M1015 from ebay and want to crossflash IT mode...

Sorry, if this can be found here but I got lost with so many old posts and links... So, would anyone guide me to the latest files needed and procedures to follow?

I'd really appreciate any support on this.

Regards

I have been working on some improvements for the DELL toolset.

The M1015 toolset was the base for it.

With the experience shared from this thread, I decided to update the M1015 toolset.

It is now based on freeDOS and incorporates the latest P20.00.07.00 firmware.

I use sed to grab the SAS address, so no need to reboot and edit things by hand.

I did several dry runs and it seems to work, but I have no M1015 controller at hand, so please

give it a try and provide some feedback.

Hi guys. I followed Fireball3's guide to and flash my H310 but so far couldn't pass step 2 and 3. I keep getting not enough available extended memory error when I try to save existing SBR. I proceeded to step 3 to clear controller ROM and get the same error. Any help would be appreciated.

16934011_10211527893770304_649712219_n.jpg

27 minutes ago, Yipee said:

Hi guys. I followed Fireball3's guide to and flash my H310 but so far couldn't pass step 2 and 3. I keep getting not enough available extended memory error when I try to save existing SBR. I proceeded to step 3 to clear controller ROM and get the same error. Any help would be appreciated.

16934011_10211527893770304_649712219_n.jpg

I'm also trying to flash an M1015 and am getting this error as well....

22 minutes ago, cstone94 said:

Can you elaborate? I assume, making a DOS USB with rufus, and then where does himem.sys come into play?

It's been a while, much more since I really used DOS, but IIRC you need to add to your config.sys something like:

DEVICE=Path\to\HIMEM.SYS
DOS=HIGH,UMB

Try the remove other DIMMs option first, easier if it works for you.

Edited by johnnie.black

I've got an IBM M5015, M5014, and M1015; all of them are giving me errors. Sometime's they are PAL errors, sometimes they are No LSI adapter errors. I have tried putting them in 4 different Servers, and 3 different custom built PC's. 1 ASROCK z97 Extreme4, 1 ASUS X99-M WS, 1 ASUS Z10PE-D16 WS. 

6 minutes ago, cstone94 said:

I've got an IBM M5015, M5014, and M1015; all of them are giving me errors. Sometime's they are PAL errors, sometimes they are No LSI adapter errors. I have tried putting them in 4 different Servers, and 3 different custom built PC's. 1 ASROCK z97 Extreme4, 1 ASUS X99-M WS, 1 ASUS Z10PE-D16 WS. 

Got any older board then that?

I flash my controllers on an Intel 775 based MB and have no such errors.