So my bank told me unraid.net have not updated their purchasing security, which is why my card keeps getting declined...

Go to solution Solved by SpencerJ,

I have been trying to purchase a copy of unraid all day. I cannot do it via the traditional trial method due to broadband in my area being really expensive, so I have to use my phone as a tethered internet source but my unraid machine wont detect the internet that way. I tried bridging my internet on my phone but that didn't seem to work either.

So I need to purchase the key and do a manual set-up and hope it works given all the little random technology niggles so far! But whenever I try to purchase a copy of unraid my card gets declined. I have tried multiple times throughout the day. I phoned my bank and they said it was because unraid.net have some sort of non-updated security protocol that is stopping me from buying from unraids end and it was not actually my bank that blcoked it.

So they suggested I get in touch to mention that.

If you check my posting history, I have been trying to get unraid going since last year but a mixture of hardware issues, internet problems and and now this is stopping me moving forward!

Is that something that can be fixed relatively quickly? Otherwise if the good people at unraid wanted to hit me up with a license key in the DMs, it would be much appreciated even if just for me to see if I can get it working as I note there is a no refund policy otherwise 😇! I dont have a paypal account sadly.

Thank you!

3 hours ago, FrodoTheMagicUnraid said:

I have been trying to purchase a copy of unraid all day. I cannot do it via the traditional trial method due to broadband in my area being really expensive, so I have to use my phone as a tethered internet source but my unraid machine wont detect the internet that way. I tried bridging my internet on my phone but that didn't seem to work either.

So I need to purchase the key and do a manual set-up and hope it works given all the little random technology niggles so far! But whenever I try to purchase a copy of unraid my card gets declined. I have tried multiple times throughout the day. I phoned my bank and they said it was because unraid.net have some sort of non-updated security protocol that is stopping me from buying from unraids end and it was not actually my bank that blcoked it.

So they suggested I get in touch to mention that.

If you check my posting history, I have been trying to get unraid going since last year but a mixture of hardware issues, internet problems and and now this is stopping me moving forward!

Is that something that can be fixed relatively quickly? Otherwise if the good people at unraid wanted to hit me up with a license key in the DMs, it would be much appreciated even if just for me to see if I can get it working as I note there is a no refund policy otherwise 😇! I dont have a paypal account sadly.

Thank you!

Are you able to start an Unraid trial?

11 hours ago, SpencerJ said:

Are you able to start an Unraid trial?

Hey there! Thanks for the reply! No I am not able to start an unraid trial, because for my internet I tether my phones data, and my unraid machine cannot detect that internet. I have been unable to make it work via the bridge process.

Thats why I am trying to purchase the license key directly so I can do that update work and then transfer the usb to my home pc.

Edited by FrodoTheMagicUnraid
  • Solution
12 hours ago, FrodoTheMagicUnraid said:

Hey there! Thanks for the reply! No I am not able to start an unraid trial, because for my internet I tether my phones data, and my unraid machine cannot detect that internet. I have been unable to make it work via the bridge process.

Thats why I am trying to purchase the license key directly so I can do that update work and then transfer the usb to my home pc.

You shouldn't need broadband to initiate a trial so I think there might be another issue going on. Can you contact us at unraid.net/contact so that we can further assist?

6 hours ago, SpencerJ said:

You shouldn't need broadband to initiate a trial so I think there might be another issue going on. Can you contact us at unraid.net/contact so that we can further assist?

Hey! Thanks for the reply!

I do need access to internet to initiate a trial:

image.png.d117d3350c7f606cb8d25b301485ac8a.png

That is why I would rather buy the license key online at work, but as I mentioned in my OP the payment keeps getting declined because of some sort of non-updated security issue at unraids end.

Rather than trying to struggle through getting internet detected on my hacky set-up, can I not just purchase a license key? It seems a lot simpler an option.

15 hours ago, FrodoTheMagicUnraid said:

Hey! Thanks for the reply!

I do need access to internet to initiate a trial:

image.png.d117d3350c7f606cb8d25b301485ac8a.png

That is why I would rather buy the license key online at work, but as I mentioned in my OP the payment keeps getting declined because of some sort of non-updated security issue at unraids end.

Rather than trying to struggle through getting internet detected on my hacky set-up, can I not just purchase a license key? It seems a lot simpler an option.

The problem is, you are going to need to have internet access for your server to apply the license (either buying an activation code via unraid.net/pricing or via the software itself in Tools-> Registration). Thereafter, you won't need internet once the license is successfully applied. Am I correct in assuming that your server has zero internet access?

9 hours ago, SpencerJ said:

The problem is, you are going to need to have internet access for your server to apply the license (either buying an activation code via unraid.net/pricing or via the software itself in Tools-> Registration). Thereafter, you won't need internet once the license is successfully applied. Am I correct in assuming that your server has zero internet access?

That is correct, my unraid server has zero internet access.

Are you sure I need it to apply the license via an internet connection?

An internet connection is required if using a Trial licence.   No internet connection is required if using a paid-for licence.

6 hours ago, FrodoTheMagicUnraid said:

Are you sure I need it to apply the license via an internet connection?

It is definitely needed if using a trial licence.

Not sure what the current position is for full licences?  If you contact Limetech you can ask if they are prepared to send the licence file (after you give them the GUID of the flash drive you intend to use) attached to an email, and if so it is just a case of copying that file to the config folder on the flash drive.