Hitachi 2TB 5K3000 for $65 after rebate

newegg.com offers the Hitachi Deskstar CoolSpin 2TB Serial ATA 6Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive, model no. 0F12117, for $64.99 with free shipping via the directions below. Deal ends May 4. To get this deal:

• Add the Hitachi Deskstar CoolSpin 2TB SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive to your cart for $79.99
  • Apply code "EMCKFHB25" to drop it to $74.99
  • Send in the $10 rebate for a net price of $64.99

The rebate is limited to TWO per product.

Anyone know if you've already redeemed the rebate on previous rebate offers, if you are still eligible for these?

Doesn't pre-clearing the drives help to screen bad drives? Should you pre-clear your drives more than once?

I had a 2TB drive that passed the first cycle but failed in the second or third cycle. I now try to run for at least 4 cycles.

Doesn't pre-clearing the drives help to screen bad drives? Should you pre-clear your drives more than once?

I had a 2TB drive that passed the first cycle but failed in the second or third cycle. I now try to run for at least 4 cycles.

:eek: How long does 4 cycles on a 2TB drive take, 5 days straight?

Purchased 2 just now (I was waiting on this  ;))

Once again though I am confused, do I fillout one rebate form for the two, or fill out 2 rebate forms one for each drive?

Also last time I got these they came in a cardboard box bubble wrapped non-retail box, how does one get the "2. The original serial number of the drive. Serial number must be 8 characters" per the rebate form?

I saw there was a sticker on the electric sealed bag and the large sticker on the drive itself...? But thats it. I am assuming they want an original sticker cut out and placed in the outline of a box where is shows the "sample".

^^ You can cut out the sticker on the static bag, that's what I used and I've already received 1 of 2 rebates for these drives. It will say 1 or 2 per envelope in the terms.

Cool, thanks. I re-read the rebate a third time no meantion of how many per envelope. When this happens is it safer to fillout two forms and place in two separate envelops?

BRiT when you stated failed, what were the signs?

Like reallocated sectors appearing on the 2-3 preclear cycle?

very slow?

clicking noises?

just plain died?

It would be good for everyone to know what to look out for, or at least what you noticed.

Oh last question, we would have to preclear first before cutting out the sticker right? Because should it fail within a few cycles in (2-3 days) you would not be able to return it once cut out. Is that correct?

I hate rebates, but sometimes you have to deal with them.

Something that has worked for me, and that I learned from some of the more knowlegeable people here, is to run -For brand new drives 3 preclear cycles. For drives that I've used for a while, and are new to the unRAID server, I run two preclears. Been lucky, to date no drive has failed on me.

Oh last question, we would have to preclear first before cutting out the sticker right? Because should it fail within a few cycles in (2-3 days) you would not be able to return it once cut out. Is that correct?

I hate rebates, but sometimes you have to deal with them.

Use the sticker on the anti-static bag instead of the one on the drive. That way you wouldn't need to wait

Usually it's 2 rebates per offer, and since they change the offer code every few weeks you should theoretically be able to snag two of these for every promotional period.

FWIW, there has been a growing number of dead drives in the Newegg reviews.

Yep.  Basically, two and one star reviews are all dead drives.  Looking at 3 star reviews, the bulk are DOA or dead within a few months.  The rest are noisy (clicking).  4 and 5 stars are mostly favorable, but still a few DOA's (ie, ordered 4 and 1 was DOA rest are great kind of thing).

So you are looking at a 62% favorable for this drive.

But the same is true for WD20EARS drives, and there you only end up 60% favorable.  Seagates are 59%.  Samsungs are 83%.  These are all "Green" drives.

So from what I see, Samsungs with the correct firmware and unRAID 4.7 or better is probably the way to go at this point.  Hitachi's are your second best bet.  I have two of the 5k3000's and both exhibit clicking noises (but nothing like a Seagate clicking), which does concern me.  But performance has been great so far.

So far I have two of the Hitachi 2TB Green drives, a 2TB Samsung green drive and a 1.5TB Samsung green drive. The 1.5TB shows an ever growing number of pending sectors. I'll pre-clear it a few times before it goes into the server though. Both Hitachis have a bunch of errors, but I think it's due to a flaky connection in the 5in3. Reseating the drives a few times seems to have fixed all the ATA errors I've been getting.

very slow?

clicking noises?

just plain died?

In that particular case, the drive would abort around 40% into the SMART short test with READ Failure.  Leading up to this failure, there were some sector reallocation events occurring. Even after a full machine power cycle, the SMART failures still occurred and on another preclear cycle there were errors at certain LBA zones which triggered some reallocated sector events and very slow reading/writing. This was on a Seagate 2TB Green drive.

Yes, it takes a significant chunk of time to run that many preclear cycles, fortunately I was not in dire need of the storage space.

very slow?

clicking noises?

just plain died?

In that particular case, the drive would abort around 40% into the SMART short test with READ Failure.  Leading up to this failure, there were some sector reallocation events occurring. Even after a full machine power cycle, the SMART failures still occurred and on another preclear cycle there were errors at certain LBA zones which triggered some reallocated sector events and very slow reading/writing. This was on a Seagate 2TB Green drive.

Yes, it takes a significant chunk of time to run that many preclear cycles, fortunately I was not in dire need of the storage space.

I had a 7200 rpm Hitachi that did basically the same thing.  It failed seven pre-clears, but wouldn't do so until after step 10 (so each took around 24 hours).  Finally, it passed the 8th clear, and I ran a 9th and 10th as well.  On each of the failures, the reallocated sectors would increase by a few (currently at 27).  It's been back in the array since mid-Feb and has had no further errors.  But man, what a time consuming pain; 10 days of pre-clearing!  It was initially a parity drive, but since it isn't fully trusted now, I ended up using it as a data drive and replaced the parity drive with a spare I had on hand.

Here's the bits of the SMART test showing the failures:

=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===

Device Model:    ST32000542AS

Serial Number:    5XW1J6E2

Firmware Version: CC35

User Capacity:    2,000,398,934,016 bytes

Device is:        Not in smartctl database [for details use: -P showall]

ATA Version is:  8

ATA Standard is:  ATA-8-ACS revision 4

Local Time is:    Wed Dec 29 15:22:54 2010 EST

SMART support is: Available - device has SMART capability.

SMART support is: Enabled

=== START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===

SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: FAILED

General SMART Values:

Offline data collection status:  (0x00) Offline data collection activity was never started.  Auto Offline Data Collection: Disabled.

Self-test execution status:      ( 121) The previous self-test completed having the read element of the test failed.

5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct   0x0033   099   099   036    Pre-fail  Always       -       56
187 Reported_Uncorrect      0x0032   001   001   000    Old_age   Always       -       229
195 Hardware_ECC_Recovered  0x001a   050   048   000    Old_age   Always       -       175591899
197 Current_Pending_Sector  0x0012   098   098   000    Old_age   Always       -       108
198 Offline_Uncorrectable   0x0010   098   098   000    Old_age   Offline      -       108
199 UDMA_CRC_Error_Count    0x003e   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -       0

SMART Self-test log structure revision number 1

Num  Test_Description    Status                  Remaining  LifeTime(hours)  LBA_of_first_error

# 1  Short offline      Completed: read failure      90%        65        1377405070

# 2  Short offline      Completed: read failure      90%        53        1377405070

As a suggestion, maybe everyone could add to their post what version of unRAID they were running there preclear on, what version of the preclear script, also any commandline additions like -D (M - email option should not count) when they had issues with there drives.

• 2 weeks later...

Grrrr, drive was DOA.

Sending back to Newegg is costing me $11.10!!!!

$11? It costs me $13 to ship a snowboard from NC to CA, $11 for a hard drive doesn't sound right. Which service did you use? I sent a hard drive back to Samsung yesterday for $6.xx via Fedex insured.