gmail less secure sign-in will be disabled May 30

Go to solution Solved by Frank1940,

i received a notice from google that less secure sign-in will not be available after May 30.

i have been using google smtp to send email notifications, so i believe this change will effect me. or am i mistaken?

what changes would i need to make in order to continue getting email notifications from my server?

i use google smtp for several other things, so it would seem that this change will effect several other devices and applications.

are there any suggestions or alternatives for other smtp services that others are using?

thanks!

• Upvote 1

from the page you linked

Tip: Don’t create an App Password unless the app or device you want to connect to your account doesn’t have “Sign in with Google.”

When you use 2-Step Verification, some less secure apps or devices may be blocked from accessing your Google Account. App Passwords are a way to let the blocked app or device access your Google Account.

less secure app access is for allowing use of your main account password, not app password

oh i see... i always thought that turning on less secure app access was needed for other applications to use google smtp.

I have set up app passwords and google basically gave me some random password that i pasted over my current password (for my unraid SMTP settings). all my other settings were unchanged. hit test and received the test email.

interesting thing, after setting up app passwords my option for less secure app access has disappeared. so i had to start setting up app passwords for my other things.

phew, that caused me some alarm. i really thought that without the less secure app access option we weren't able to use gmail smtp!

thanks guys!

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, limawaken said:

interesting thing, after setting up app passwords my option for less secure app access has disappeared. so i had to start setting up app passwords for my other things.

Yep, it's an all or nothing. FWIW you can go to google account, security, devices to get an idea of what might break and need attention.