[Solved] How to get the server to recognize a new hot swap drive?

I just installed a new Icy Dock Fat Cage hot-swap 3x5.

I put the same disks in it as were in a non-hot-swap cage. When I power it up, it seems that one of the slots is not receiving power (an issue to take up with the vendor).  Because of this, the array didn't start because a drive was missing.

I pulled the drive from the dead slot and put it into an empty slot (I'm only using 3 of the 5 slots right now), and the power light came on indicating that the cage recognized there is a drive there.

How do I get UNRAID to recognize the drive is there without rebooting the server? That is, after all, the whole point of hot-swap cages (well, at least one of the points).

Edited by FreeMan

When the server booted, the array didn't start and it shows:

image.png.4537a797b4e03d31ce1b714858f7f70f.png

image.png.b803e5a0b89c8dc5fc834d8d5e16c5b9.png

So, if you would, please have a chat with my server and let it know what it's supposed to be doing. TBH, that does make sense that it should have started the array with a missing disk. However, it didn't and here we are...

As it turns out, the caddy I put that particular disk in was slightly bent fresh out of the box. Again - an issue to take up with the vendor.

Is there a way to now get unraid to recognize that I've plugged the disk back in other than rebooting the server?

huh... After poking through a variety of settings, the Main screen is now showing the drive is there.

I would like to know if I did something (I looked at settings but didn't change anything) or if it's just a matter of time before it'll notice that the drive is now available.

1 minute ago, trurl said:

Do you have the array set to autostart? I don't since I always like to check that all disks are showing before starting the array so nothing gets disabled and requires rebuild.

I'm going to guess that no, I do not. However, I don't recall where that setting is and a quick browse hasn't turned it up, so I can't confirm

4 minutes ago, trurl said:

Settings - Disk Settings.

Forest, meet trees. Sheesh. :( I did actually look at that, but it just didn't register.

`If set to 'Yes' then if the device configuration is correct upon server start-up, the array will be automatically Started and shares exported.`

I am set to "Yes". However, since the config wasn't correct, it didn't auto start.

-------------------------------

OK, that small drama is resolved. However, I'm still curious what caused the server to recognize that the drive was there. Was it:

1) Passage of time? i.e. the server polls every couple of minutes looking for a drive to "magically" appear (expecting that there's a hot-swap cage and it might.)

2) I looked at the right setting somewhere that caused it to rescan drives and notice that the disk was now there?

If it's the first, I now know to be patient and wait. If it's the second, I'd like to know what I looked at so I can trigger it intentionally the next time.

3 minutes ago, trurl said:

Probably.

I often hotswap Unassigned Devices and they sometime take several seconds to show up.

OK. I'll wait patiently.

I'm pretty sure it was more than "seconds" more like "at least a minute". I know I'm an impatient fella, but it really was slower than "seconds". As a matter of fact, I'd waited a bit, then I typed up this question and it still hadn't shown up.

Could just be that my machine isn't the fastest thing out there. I'll be sure to be patient in the future.

Thanks as always!

Edited by FreeMan
  • FreeMan changed the title to [Solved] How to get the server to recognize a new hot swap drive?