[SOLVED] WebUI is super slow (or doesnt load at all) but GUI mode is working fine

Go to solution Solved by bonienl,

Yesterday i started my server like normally but the login site took forever (more like 3 minutes) to load, and even then the site was still loading but i could see the login form. When i then got to /Main thats when i realized how bad it was.
I initially thought that there was something wrong with the internet connection to my unraid server, but after testing GUI mode it worked completely fine in the box. 250mb up and down, 10ms ping, was able to ping 8.8.8.8 and google.com etc. I can also access my plex library from a plex client, thought it only allows 720p and it shows the server as being "indirectly" even thought im on the same network.
But when i try to access any WebUI, it either just loads till timeout or it loads partially (see network activity image attached). but everything was accessable in GUI mode. so this got me thinking it must be somthing locally.

The weirdest part is that i can succesfully ping my server (192.168.1.102) from my pc (see image below) and it doenst seem to have any issues at all.
ive also tried changing the IP of my server but it didnt solve my problem.

Im not sure where to go from here, so any suggestions on what i should try is highly appreciated.

also wanna say that downloading syslog and diagnostics file is also super slow so its not only connected to webuis, will be uploading those too once theyve finished downloading

Skärmbild 2022-03-22 110443.png

Skärmbild 2022-03-22 172414.png

syslog

Edited by whyktor

anyone ever had a similair problem? ive tried searching this forum, but most people seem to have problems with accessing webui by name or outside lan. Or they have lost connection completely, but for me the connection isnt completely dead, but its just super duper slow, see picture above, took me 550sec to load a webui and iirc it was still spinning/loading

• whyktor changed the title to WebUI is super slow (or doesnt load at all) but GUI mode is working fine
1 hour ago, Squid said:

First suggestions sans diagnostics would be to set static DNS addresses in Settings / Network Settings (208.67.222.222 & 208.67.220.220) as if you're using SSL the system winds up connecting to the internet to effectively do a reverse proxy into the server

Will upload diagnostic file when i get home, it just takes forever to get to the download button for it, then it takes a long time to actually download it too 😆
Will try changing the DNS addresses, ill let you know how it goes! thanks for the suggestion :) 

7 hours ago, Squid said:

First suggestions sans diagnostics would be to set static DNS addresses in Settings / Network Settings (208.67.222.222 & 208.67.220.220) as if you're using SSL the system winds up connecting to the internet to effectively do a reverse proxy into the server

seems like i already had 1 static DNS address which was "208.67.220.220". adding the "208.67.222.222" didnt seem to do anything :/ gonna try to first upgrade to 6.10 and if that doesnt work ill just reformat my usb flash and do a clean install and cross my fingers :) 

Sadly upgrading to 6.10 or doing a fresh install of unraid didnt work either. stuff still takes ages to load while doing a speedtest in GUI mode gets me 250mb up and down... so i guess its not software related but rather hardware? maybe something with the router?

While editing the DNS addresses a error showed up saying something like "ERROR Ethernet Cable Port 0 {something}! Check Cables!" is that something i should worry about? or is that normal.

Also how could i check that it isnt my harddrives that are failing? When i check in GUI they all are green and have thumbs up, should i just assumed they are good then or is there other checks i could do?

43 minutes ago, bonienl said:

Some people have reported issues with RealTek NICs and bonding.

Since you have a single interface, disable bonding in the network settings and see if that makes a difference.

Tried disabling bonding but it didnt fix my problem :/ thanks for the suggestion though!
i find it really weird that i got this problem out of nowhere, ive had the server for 5 months without any network problems. what ive been doing recently is mainly using a VM for gaming and the last plugin i installed was the stats plugin that shows network activity (i have tried safemode which disables plugins, and ive also uninstalled the Vm incase that was what messed it up)

Could there still be something software related if i have tried to do a fresh install of unraid and ive tried connecting to it through different browsers and devices? i got a 169.x.x.x when trying to do automatic network settings. so i had to change it to a static one, but the connection to it was still extremely slow.

• Solution

Getting a 169.254.xxx.xxx address means the system could not get an IP address from your router.

This suggests you have some network issue.

Try replacing cables and. moving ports on your switch or router.

You mentioned the message about interface eth0 down, this is another indicator that there is a network issue.

This interface should never go down, otherwise you loose connectivity.

8 minutes ago, bonienl said:

Getting a 169.254.xxx.xxx address means the system could not get an IP address from your router.

This suggests you have some network issue.

Try replacing cables and. moving ports on your switch or router.

You mentioned the message about interface eth0 down, this is another indicator that there is a network issue.

This interface should never go down, otherwise you loose connectivity.

Hmm okay, i have tried switching cable, but im gonna try a few other cables too just in case. would it make sense for the server to be able and get 250mb up and down in GUI mode if there was a network issue?

also gonna try to just restart router

Edited by whyktor
  • whyktor changed the title to [SOLVED] WebUI is super slow (or doesnt load at all) but GUI mode is working fine
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 3/23/2022 at 3:35 PM, bonienl said:

Some people have reported issues with RealTek NICs and bonding.

Since you have a single interface, disable bonding in the network settings and see if that makes a difference.

Thank you for this. This was exactly what was causing my issue. I was at my wit's end trying to find a solution as my hardware is more than capable (ryzen 3900x, 96GB ram) and I had issues with array stopped so I knew it wasn't a docker or vm issue and I hardly have any Plugins lol.