11th Gen Intel HW Transcoding status

freeridekid

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/22/2022 at 1:54 PM, freeridekid said:

Hello

I am considering upgrading my 10th gen cpu to an 11th gen, and I was curious about the current status of HW transcoding in Plex on 6.9.2

Thanks

I was just going to ask the same question. I just purchased a bunch of parts including a rocket lake cpu thinking this was fixed. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 12500, which shares same family of iGPU. I regret going alderlake right now as the linux kernel support is quite poor especially with respect to Passing through igpu. Doing so causes server instability in 6.10 rc4.  Maybe 11th gen is different; however, I'd recommend holding tight for now if hw transcoding is your motivators. Ones unraid updates to a supported linux kernel, then you might should reconsider. 

Really haven't seen many benchmarks comparing to two iGPU families anyway with respect to transcoding. I'd be curious to know what the difference is. 

Edited by Cajones
Missing a word
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm going to give this thread a nudge.

I'm also looking at upgrading my Unraid server from an ancient i7 920. I'd really like to ensure Plex hardware transcoding is working well on the upgrade. I had my eye on Intel 11th gen as I've heard 12th gen is still a mess in Linux.

Is 11th gen working well? ucliker,  you said it "wasn't unstable", which didn't sound like a ringing endorsement. 4k to 1080p working well? HDR tone mapping?

Otherwise, I'm assuming the CPU side of 11th gen should be fine, since it is just skylake ++++++

Thanks in advance.

• 4 weeks later...

I just posted my own upgrade advice thread with this exact question, regarding 11th gen iGPU transcoding 4k HDR to 1080p with tone mapping, all in hardware. I am very curious if this is working as I expect it should be. My aging 3770k isn't cutting it for out of the home streaming.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Any updates on this? I just updated to 6.11 and still can't get Plex to transcode on my 11400.

- /dev/dri looks okay, and is visible inside the container

- intel_gpu_top seems to be functional

Found this is Plex logs that might be a clue "opening hw device failed"

root@Unraid:~# ls -la /dev/dri
total 0
drwxrwxrwx  3 root root       100 Oct 12 22:02 ./
drwxr-xr-x 16 root root      3760 Oct 12 22:15 ../
drwxrwxrwx  2 root root        80 Oct 12 22:02 by-path/
crwxrwxrwx  1 root video 226,   0 Oct 12 22:03 card0
crwxrwxrwx  1 root video 226, 128 Oct 12 22:03 renderD128

Edit: Turns out the way /dev/dri is forwarded does make a difference. My container had it forwarded as a path and not a device. Changing it to device seem to have fixed it. (had this working before, no idea how it changed) Hope this helps someone!

Edited by Jozsef Kizman
  • 1 month later...
On 10/12/2022 at 3:08 PM, Jozsef Kizman said:

Any updates on this? I just updated to 6.11 and still can't get Plex to transcode on my 11400.

- /dev/dri looks okay, and is visible inside the container

- intel_gpu_top seems to be functional

Found this is Plex logs that might be a clue "opening hw device failed"

Edit: Turns out the way /dev/dri is forwarded does make a difference. My container had it forwarded as a path and not a device. Changing it to device seem to have fixed it. (had this working before, no idea how it changed) Hope this helps someone!

Can you share your template? I am trying to get QSV working with an 11500 and its not working.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/21/2022 at 6:06 PM, mPoUtiTUR said:

Can you share your template? I am trying to get QSV working with an 11500 and its not working.

You only need three things to get GPU to work in containers for 11th-13th gen;

* Intel GPU TOP plugin
* GPU Statistics plugin
* "/dev/dri" as a *device* path in your container.  If your container doesn't have it as a device path, add it.

• 1 month later...