missing recent data after replacing disk and cache ssd?

Hey yall, I had a disk fail in my array for the first time, and went through the standard procedure to replace it. (stop array > unassign disk > remove/replace disk > assign and start array)

the only unusual thing i did was also replace the ssd cache with a larger ssd at the same time (figured while i was in the server i might as well)

rebuilding the array went great, took about a day, and everything shows success.

the problem is i have a weird gap in my data now, where basically everything from mid-december of 2021, through mid-march of 2022 is missing, but i DO have some of the most recent files, from about three or four days before the drive failed....what the heck?

i have no idea how this happened or why i would have some recent stuff and then a few month gap and then normal again. could it be because i did the cache at the same time?

i have an array with one parity and a mix of 14tb, 10tb, and 8tb drives. i replaced a dead 10tb with a new 14tb. and unfortunately the 10tb drive is seemingly inoperable. luckily i had the very most important info backed up to google drive but still a lot of semi-important data is seemingly lost.

i thought the whole point of having an unraid parity drive was so that i could replace a dead disk with no data loss?

what did i do wrong?

i just dont want to make this mistake in the future and i want to actually have a reliable server i can trust with my data. im working on getting a second parity drive, but i dont think that would help this problem. 

is it possible that files were still on the cache drive for months even though i have definitely manually clicked the 'move' button more than once since then?

Cache-yes shares are moved from cache to array. Cache-prefer shares are moved from array to cache.

Nothing can move open files, and mover won't move duplicates.

Mover ignores cache-only shares.

Mover ignores cache-no shares. If the share already has files on cache setting it to cache-no only means no new files are put on cache, it won't get them moved.

i have the affected shares set to cache : yes, not prefer. and i cant imagine they would have been open anyway since i only have the singular PC that accesses the server and i have definitely shut down that PC in the months during the missing data.

could it be 'open' somewhere else? is there a way for me to see what files are in cache instead of on disk? 

why would some files from recently be good to go as normal, but then theres a gap, before returning to normal? if it was a 'cache hasnt been moved to disk' problem, wouldnt that also include the recent files too?

datass-diagnostics-20220323-0900.zip

41 minutes ago, trurl said:

syslog says disk4 was rebuilt. It looks empty, did you format it?

yes i replaced disk4, which was a 10tb, and replaced with a 14tb. i am pretty sure i formatted it, but now that im trying to remember, i only remember seeing the format checkbox (down in the array operations section) with the new cache showing there. i cant recall seeing the 14tb for formatting, but it says the filesystem on that disk is xfs like the rest of my array so i assume it has to be formatted into that FS. im not sure why it would be so empty, except that the size used vs the new size available is just smaller.

doesnt the array rebuild replace the data on that drive from the parity?

also i have a parity 2 and not 1, because i had an 8tb parity drive, that i 'replaced' with a 14tb parity, and since its just a single parity replacement it was just added as parity 2 and i dont think i can change it. should i?

here is a screenshot of the array for more clarity

Screenshot 2022-03-23 111604.png

40 minutes ago, Sk8rSeth said:

doesnt the array rebuild replace the data on that drive from the parity?

No, it rebuilds the entire disk, just as it was emulated. If parity wasn't in sync when the drive was pulled, the emulated and rebuilt disk could have a corrupt filesystem and show as unmountable. If you then format the disk, you update those bits in parity that describe the formatted filesystem. Unmountable disks need their filesystem checked and repaired.

2 minutes ago, itimpi said:

When you attempted to format you would have got a big pop-up telling you that format is never part of data recovery and the result would be an empty disk.

yeah and i thought that was only for the cache drive since that was the only one i saw listed to the left, the disk4 hard drive wasnt listed on the left so i assumed it wasnt included in the format. is that wrong? 

was the drive formatted as well which resulted in the loss of all the data that happened to be on that particular drive when it died. which is why i have a weird gap in data?

5 minutes ago, Sk8rSeth said:

was the drive formatted as well which

It was the emulated drive that got formatted - not the physical drive.   The subsequent rebuild made the physical drive match the emulated one.    Are you sure the original physical drive has really failed (in most cases a drive being disabled is from something other than drive failure). If not you can almost certainly get most of the data off it as long as you keep it intact.

46 minutes ago, itimpi said:

Are you sure the original physical drive has really failed 

Yeah, i got a bunch of read and seek errors, then i reassigned it and did smart tests that returned successful mostly, except one extended test that returned like 100 errors, read, seek and sector errors, but i tried to rebuild the array with the disk anyway to see if it was a weird fluke (after getting several error-free SMART tests, and the rebuild failed. after that the drive became almost unrecognizable. i couldnt reassign it, or do any smart tests, or even use it as an external attached to the server. everything was unrecognized. even macos disk utility wouldnt recognize it at all.

i didnt hear any clicking or anything physical but nothing i did in any system i had could get the disk to show up at all