Motherboard / CPU advise for media storage server

Hi all!

I’m planning to build my first Unraid server for my blu-ray/UHD collection (1350+ discs) that I’m going to rip, so I need a lot of space.

The idea is to start with 7-8- discs, including parity & cache disc. I already have a IBM M1015 6Gbps SATA/SAS HBA Controller (IT MODE) for 8 extra Sata connections that I want to use.

I will be using the Fractal Design Define 7 XL so I have enough space for future discs.

I need some advice on the motherboard/processor. I’ve read about a lot of builds on the forum, but a lot of boards you can’t get properly in Europe, or I think they are a bit over the top for a file server.

I have a preference for an Intel based MB. I was thinking an Intel i3 processor will be enough, but it is possible I will move my music to this server too at a certain point, and then I need to be able to run iTunes and some other stuff in probably a windows VM. Not sure what this means hardware wise, so some advice would be helpful.

I have seen the Asrock Rack C246 WS https://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=C246 WS#Specifications

or

Asus PRIME Z590-A https://www.asus.com/Motherboards-Components/Motherboards/PRIME/PRIME-Z590-A/

But perhaps there are other interesting options?

8 hours ago, Teejoo said:

I’ve read about a lot of builds on the forum, but a lot of boards you can’t get properly in Europe, or I think they are a bit over the top for a file server.

I think you already have a very good idea what you need.

Go with the hardware that is easily available and cost-efficient considering your usage case.

Edited by Lolight
3 hours ago, Lolight said:

I think you already have a very good idea what you need.

Go with the hardware that is easily available and cost-efficient considering your usage case.

Are there no other things I have to take into account when choosing a motherboard? To go for a certain chipset or avoid one for example?

7 hours ago, Teejoo said:

No, I meant running Unraid

It seems you did your research and are aware of numerous other system builds that have been discussed on this forum.

Therefore you must be aware that Unraid has been shown not to have generic compatibility issues with any common hardware.

Do you have a particular concern?

3 hours ago, Lolight said:

It seems you did your research and are aware of numerous other system builds that have been discussed on this forum.

Therefore you must be aware that Unraid has been shown not to have generic compatibility issues with any common hardware.

Do you have a particular concern?

No, I don’t. I just wanted to check in case I missed it. Good to hear Unraid works with all common boards. Thanks!  

I made a decision and ordered these:

- Asus PRIME Z590-A

- Intel Core Intel Core i3 10300 boxed

- Corsair DDR4 Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3600

- 7x WD Red Pro, 16TB (incl 2 parity drives)

- Samsung 870 Evo 2TB (cache)

- Corsair RM550x PSU

Looking forward to built it into the Define 7 XL and start to play with unraid!

• 3 months later...
15 hours ago, venicenerd said:

Hi @Teejoo! I would love to hear how that build worked out for you! Do you happen to run any Windows VM's on that machine? Really interested to hear about your experience as I am also considering this motherboard.

Hi, The server is running perfectly! Not much to say about it actually. Ripped all my 1350+ movies, partly using the built in Pioneer UHD-drive and MakeMKV docker. Also added another WD drive, so it's 8 in total now.

I'm not using VM's, so can't comment on that. BTW, also very satisfied with the Define 7 XL case. If you are looking for something with space this is a very nice one.

• Like 1
On 3/27/2022 at 11:44 AM, Teejoo said:

- Asus PRIME Z590-A

- Corsair RM550x PSU

Nice build but I have a question. I checked the specs for the Asus PRIME Z590-A motherboard just now and it seems to only have 6 SATA ports. Just curious how you were able to get 7x WD Reds connected?

3 minutes ago, Seven said:

Nice build but I have a question. I checked the specs for the Asus PRIME Z590-A motherboard just now and it seems to only have 6 SATA ports. Just curious how you were able to get 7x WD Reds connected?

Hi, I also use a IBM ServeRAID M1015 SAS/SATA RAID Controller with 8 ports.

In total I have 9 discs installed: 8 WD RED pro's 16TB and a 2TB SSD for cache.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/27/2022 at 12:44 PM, Teejoo said:

- Asus PRIME Z590-A

- Corsair RM550x PSU

Hey I'm interested in a build like yours. How did you power so many drives when the PSU only comes with 6 sata connectors?

On 3/23/2022 at 7:25 PM, Teejoo said:

I was thinking an Intel i3 processor will be enough

I would (at least) recommend an i5 or for the future an i7 👍

My machine is a "pure" Plex-Server and sometimes, the power of my 8-core i7 is needed for various parallel tasks - so i would go for an i7.

Edited by Zonediver