Help moving licence to another server please

mbc0
Go to solution Solved by Frank1940,

Hi,

I have built a replacement server using a trial key and everything is now how I want it except the licence! 

This new server runs a Sophos XG Firewall VM so provides internet to the house and obviously if I shut it down I will not be able to start it again as there will be no interet (this server replaces the old server that used to run Sophos)

How can I transfer the licence to this new server without internet?  Can I copy the plus.key in place of the trial.key?

Thanks in advance! 

Read through this section of the manual: 

https://wiki.unraid.net/Manual/Changing_The_Flash_Device

I believe you will be able to do what you want using one of those methods.   A quick read through the instructions said that the array won't start with an invalid license but I did not see an indication that a VM would not start. 

One more thing, the license is tied to the physical flash drive.  So you could make a backup of the original flash drive (making absolutely certain that you have a copy of that Plus .key file!!) and then format the old flash drive, copy the contents of the new flash drive onto that old flash drive, replace the trial .key file with the Plus .key file, run the makebootable file and use that old flash drive to boot the system. 

PS-----   Make backups of your flash drives!!!  If you have those backups, you will never need them!!!!!

50 minutes ago, Frank1940 said:

Read through this section of the manual: 

https://wiki.unraid.net/Manual/Changing_The_Flash_Device

I believe you will be able to do what you want using one of those methods.   A quick read through the instructions said that the array won't start with an invalid license but I did not see an indication that a VM would not start. 

One more thing, the license is tied to the physical flash drive.  So you could make a backup of the original flash drive (making absolutely certain that you have a copy of that Plus .key file!!) and then format the old flash drive, copy the contents of the new flash drive onto that old flash drive, replace the trial .key file with the Plus .key file, run the makebootable file and use that old flash drive to boot the system. 

PS-----   Make backups of your flash drives!!!  If you have those backups, you will never need them!!!!!

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, I had been through those but the issue is with the internet, A VM won't start unless the array is started so I am in a catch 22 situation, I feel like I have painted myself into a corner 🙂

• Solution
1 hour ago, Frank1940 said:

Using this method means you have a valid key on bootup.  But it also means that you are using your old Flash Drive.  You should realize that you will probably have a problem when any flash drive fails in the future. 

I would suggest that you connect LimeTech using this link

https://unraid.net/contact

and describe your problem.  They can do a manual transfer (Blacklisting the old Flash drive and sending you the new .key file via E-mail) but it is not as fast as the automated transfer service.

Edited by Frank1940
  • Like 1