(SOLVED) Swapping Two Disabled Disks

Hey all, looking to get a bit of guidance/reassurance with this process. I'm about to swap out a couple disabled disks in my server and then replace a few smaller drives as well. I just want to be sure that I won't be losing any data during this as I had a drive failure and auto parity rebuild cost some data loss when I wasn't paying close attention.

As far as I know (and I could be wrong) it should be as simple as stopping the array, shutting everything down, replacing one disk, turning back on, assigning drive, and letting the rebuild take place? Or do I have to do a parity sync/backup first and then replace and rebuild? I'm just making sure I'm thinking straight.

I have my diags attached as well if needed.

I have a few other things to figure out as well like why my 16-bay hot swap enclosure has issues actually hot swapping with my my raid controller and Unraid...but I digress.

Thanks in advance everyone!

ethan-unraid-diagnostics-20220327-1352.zip

Edited by Squeeth
14 hours ago, Squeeth said:

it should be as simple as stopping the array, shutting everything down, replacing one disk, turning back on, assigning drive, and letting the rebuild take place?

Yes, but you're having read errors in another device, disk2, and since there are already 2 disable disks dual parity can't help, so some data loss might occur if the errors continue.

2 hours ago, JorgeB said:

Yes, but you're having read errors in another device, disk2, and since there are already 2 disable disks dual parity can't help, so some data loss might occur if the errors continue.

Thanks for the info clearing that up, I had a bad feeling that would have some issues with it but I did also try to accept the possible loses. Overnight only a few more errors occurred while rebuilding one of the disabled disks, so before I left work this morning I swapped out the disk with errors and started a rebuild on that and will monitor it throughout the day. Once I get home if everything is completed properly then I'll swap the other disabled disk as well.

Hoping nothing crazy has gotten lost throughout this, I've been trying to limp along with 2nd hand refurb drives until I can afford new replacements.

• Squeeth changed the title to (SOLVED) Swapping Two Disabled Disks