Goliath: My Norco RPC-4224 build.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i wonder, whats the reason for supermicro mb x9scm instead of cheap common mb? should i use x9scm when i didnt need vt-d? are the reason for i2100 is for the build it graphic card. can i use unraid without graphic card?

thanks.

The x9scm is used because it is a high quality, well known (to us) product. There are others.

The x9scm-f is preferred for the IPMI feature. Other have it too.

The i3-2100 is a cheaper low power CPU for the board. The x9scm does not need a graphics card.

As mentioned,

Enterprise level stability.

It is designed to run under load 24x4 in an enterprise environment or data center.

It is no frills, it has no unnecessary junk needed for a server. no 3d gaming capabilities no sound cards or blue tooth or firewire. things that would cause issues in a server.

IPMI. KVM over IP. HUGE plus for a server.

ECC ram.. nice bonus in a file server.

Multihome support

VT-d support. While Goliath uses an I3 for power (and cost) savings, Atlas (and and Leviathan) run on a Xeons for full VT-d.

Lots of PCIe 8x & 4X slots for RAID/HBA cards. (sticking a raid card into a PCIe 16x slot made for video is hit or miss)

The i3 in a server that does not do a lot (like unraid or WHS2011) is key. it uses about the same power as an ATOM when idol and can produce some serious horsepower when needed. Even the upper range E3 sandybridge Xeon's use low power and can outperform an I7 when called on. Not to mention the I3 is cheap for what it is. I got my 2100 for under $99 when they were relatively new. the new IvyBridge's should be even better.

(since you asked, ATOMs are great, but not enough board [they usually only offer 1 PCIe slot. and yes, I have 7 atom servers], Socket 775 servers just draw way to much power at the wall for me [my Q9550 server draws over 200watts]. not to mention are dead technology at this point. I have a Victorian house, I have to watch my draw at the wall)

we have 100's of supermicro servers at work.. they almost never fail. if they do, it is almost always because of worn out fans or bad power supplies. IPMI makes them manageable from any desktop..

I built my servers to be on 24x7 and as reliable as possible. i work with servers all day at work. last thing i want to do is work on them when I get home.

I have not modified or touched Goliath (or Leviathan) in about 4 months now, Atlas in about 3 months, they have had zero issues. no reboots nothing. To me, that's worth the few extra bucks.

I have 3 almost identical servers. X9SCM-F's in Norco 4224's. I wanted 100% reliability. I was about to get X8SIL's but then I picked an X9SCM production Beta for about half price. I found it to do the same as the X8SIL, I got it for less and it had better power savings.

I have 1 running straight unRAID (Goliath). I have one running ESXI (Atlas) with a virtuallized unRAID (Spartacus) and about 10 other Guests and i have a Win2008r2 server running a 16x2TB Hardware RAID6.

the only problem I have had with the X9 series is the lack of 8Gig ram sticks. Those are now available after a considerable delay (at a slight premium still).

EDIt:

I forgot to mention that the Supermicro has solid CAPs. most cheaper Desktop boards have cheap liquid ones that are prone to fail.

Thanks for the reply guys.

Johnm, im not upset. im just... a bit sad after spending months of planning and it doesnt go quite as planned. There is nothing wrong with your build. Its perfectly serve your purpose, and others.

By the way, how can i know if my motherboard have ipmi without opening the static case? i can see on the motherboard x9scm label but no -f. i dont have ipmi experience.

thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

By the way, how can i know if my motherboard have ipmi without opening the static case? i can see on the motherboard x9scm label but no -f. i dont have ipmi experience.

Just look at Supermicro's website and find the tech specs for the different models.  Typically the -f and -f-o boards have IPMI, while the others do not.

Hi Johnm, Rajahal and other experts.

I just got x9scm-f couple days ago and my server is up and running. Havent properly set the server yet.

i goes extra mile to get the server as quiet as possible.

i get the 120mm fan board for norco 4220, use 120mm noctua pf12 fans(full speed), use stock intel hsf. i connect all to 4 pin mb fan connector(noctua is 3 pin). i still havent received my arctic cooling 80mm fan(plan do daisy chain pwm fans).

current problem i have with the acoustic level is that i can heard noise coming from the server. while quieter than norco stock fans, the noise is...heard. i was expecting total silent, as if i cant know whether the server is on or not just by hearing. i did try set in bios to use optimal setting for fans, but the cpu fans still spin at 1200rpm(the same rpm with other setting). it is as if mb pwm setting is useless. how can i reduce the fan speed to less than 1200rpm?

any suggestion on how to reduce the fan noise?

thanks.

unless you know what you are doing I would not change the fan speed on the CPU fan, especially if you are using the stock Intel heat sink.

If you want it to be more quite then get a replacement heatsink with a bigger fan.  Silent PC Review has good reviews on quite heatsinks so fin that on there website and go from there.

is the pwm really working? because if i use other setting, the fan speed is still the same. i would like the fan speed to be slow when cool, high rpm when hot.

does anybody have issues with supermicro pwm?

currently using fan2 connector for cpu fan. should i use fanA? is fan a dedicated for CPU?

there is something wrong with the fan speed sensor.initially, i use all fan connector except fanA. then i swap fan2 to fanA. everythings fine until i change back fanA to fan2. now fanA is connected and fan4(not fan2) is disconnected while in fact, fan4 is connected and fanA is disconnected. how can i reset the fan setting?

since the saslp is using pcie 4x, are there any performance increase when i slot it in pcie8x? if not, i want to put it in 4x slot to keep the 2 saslp card further apart as the card can be quite hot.

by the way, what version of unraid people are using nowadays. i tried the latest beta (14 iirc). is this recommended?

where can i find instruction to install addons/plugins. all i see in wiki is a list of plugins/addons.

should i enable staggered spin up and hot plug? are there any setting that i should aware of?

thanks.

Hi Johnm, Rajahal and other experts.

I just got x9scm-f couple days ago and my server is up and running. Havent properly set the server yet.

i goes extra mile to get the server as quiet as possible.

i get the 120mm fan board for norco 4220, use 120mm noctua pf12 fans(full speed), use stock intel hsf. i connect all to 4 pin mb fan connector(noctua is 3 pin). i still havent received my arctic cooling 80mm fan(plan do daisy chain pwm fans).

current problem i have with the acoustic level is that i can heard noise coming from the server. while quieter than norco stock fans, the noise is...heard. i was expecting total silent, as if i cant know whether the server is on or not just by hearing. i did try set in bios to use optimal setting for fans, but the cpu fans still spin at 1200rpm(the same rpm with other setting). it is as if mb pwm setting is useless. how can i reduce the fan speed to less than 1200rpm?

any suggestion on how to reduce the fan noise?

thanks.

You should know that while the fan headers are rated 1.5A, the total current available for the PCIe and fans is 5A per Supermicro design engineer. You might wish to consider a separate fan controller for chassis fans.

• 3 months later...

Hey man,  Just wondering how that 1 -> 7 Molex is working for powering all of the drives, I see you only connected one of the two power points on the norco disk caddies...

I'm asking because I just ordered the same case and want to make sure that splitter will work to power up all 24 bays.  Or if I should get two of them....also, powering all 24 disks from one PSU feed, isn't that over the specs of the molex plug on the PSU side?

Honestly. that cable is pretty crappy. when you go to plug it in. if you are not careful, it can push the pins out.

It did the job. I wont lie. it is just cheaply made. it showed no signs of being overloaded.

I actually switched to two of them when I got some more for free... then i switched to a custom set that i made...

remember that you only need to power one set of plugs. the second plug is for a redundant PSU.

Quotes from my Atlas thread...

Cables:

• 1M SFF-8087 to SFF-8087  from Monoprice at $9.49 each. They are cheaper and longer for those with M1015's.
  • Face it, the NORCO C-P1T7 is crap. It is a short waiting to happen. I would recommend a more solid Molex cable.
    Ideally, make your own custom cable from parts [Example of a custom built Norco cable from another forum].
    I know most people can't build a cable like that or don't have the time/budget. I would suggest something like THIS, THIS, or THIS for those of those that cant make a cable.
    Unfortunately, none of those cables are 100% correct for a 4224 (one is perfect for a 4220). You will need to buy more then one cable.

I think it is time i finally did some cable management.

I decided to try my hand and making a custom power cable for Atlas..

Test cable..

oY98sm.jpg

I think Ill make 6 sets. 2 for each of my norcos.

I had Atlas out of the rack today.

I thought I might get a current photo of it's innards for those that like server pr0n.

lXE62l.jpg

I still need to replace the back fans. only one is hooked up right now.

I would like to still mod the chassis to hold my Supermicro 4in1 and relocate the SSD's to that.

• 3 weeks later...

Really liked reading the article..

And even liked the names of your servers.

This is going to be sorta off the wall from the other questions asked.

I'm building the 20 drive budget rackmount greenleaf Tech

http://greenleaf-technology.com/blogs/prototypes/index.php?id=2601838967498401788

Currently I'm using older parts and older gaming case with 4 2tb drives and wll be converting to the hardware listed in that article.

I'm very fluent in building gaming machines but want to have a different look so I'm using the Norco RPC 4220.

What do you use for mounting? I'm thinking of going with a 4 post 15u mount like

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816133039

But looking at the reviews the Norco Rack doesn't really fit the Norco cases.

Will be building the server fast since my data needs are surpassing the 6tb mark, if I don't have a rack mount kit I'm assuming you can't put the 4220 directly on the floor, or carpet.

With your IT experience in racks and with using a norco chassis at home what are some recommendations on what and where to buy a nice rack with some extra room for a UPS and switch. 15U seems like a good size, I like the wheels since I'll probably keep it in a room that has carpet.

Thanks