Give me your tired, your weak, your downtrodden...hard drives

As you may have noticed, I build a lot of prototype designs.  In order to test these properly I like to use as many test drives as possible.  I've had a few die of old age recently and I'm running a bit low.  Instead of buying new ones, I figured I would try to help my fellow unRAIDers get rid of their old drives.

We all have hard drives that are too small to be worthwhile storage in our servers, but too large to just throw away.  For me, drives in the 250 - 750 GB range fall into that category, but of course everyone has different criteria.  Anyway, these are the types of drives I'm interested in.  The title was a bit facetious, I'm not actually interested in weak drives.  Tired and downtrodden, sure.

Here's what I'm looking for:

• SATA only (sorry, no IDE)
  • 2.5" and 3.5" sizes
  • any capacity, though smaller are actually better (as they take less time to complete my tests)
  • 5400 rpm - 7200 rpm preferred, but I might take 10k drives as well
  • Ability to pass both short and long SMART tests (I would like a copy of the SMART report and/or a successful preclear output)
  • No obvious issues (click of death, broken connectors, etc.)
  • US only, international shipping will likely be too much of a hassle.  I can also send you some anti-static HDD bags if you don't have any.

If you have any drives that meet these criteria that you would like to get rid of, please PM or email me.  I will happily accept donated drives, and I'll cover all shipping charges.  I'm willing to pay (via PayPal) a reasonable amount for drives as well.  I would especially appreciate anyone who can send me multiple drives in one shipment.

If anyone has any used SSDs that they don't want anymore (maybe the capacity is too small, it is too slow, etc.) then I might be interested in that as well.  Again, PM or email me and we'll discuss.

• 2 weeks later...

I have seven 250 GB WD Caviar SATA drives.  I took them out of my previous hardware raid system and replaced them with larger drives for my UNRAID server.  I ran the WD short SMART tests on all of them and the long test on one of them.  I had been planning to put them on eBay but have been busy the past month and not had a chance to do that.  When I get home tonight I'll check the exact model numbers and rpm's (pretty certain that they are 7200).  If interested, I can email you the results of the SMART tests.  Since I was planning to try to sell them on eBay, I would want to sell these rather than donating them.

Looking at the WD 250 GB drives that have sold on eBay recently, the majority of them seem to be going for $20-30 with shipping.  http://completed.shop.ebay.com/Internal-Desktop-/56083/i.html?LH_Complete=1&LH_ItemCondition=12&_trkparms=65%253A16%257C66%253A2%257C39%253A1&rt=nc&_nkw=western+digital+250+sata&_catref=1&_sc=1&_sticky=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_sop=15&_sc=1.  Shipping them all at once to the same person and being able to help out the UNRAID community would be pluses for me also.

Let me know if you are intersted.

thanks,

Murray

As you may have noticed, I build a lot of prototype designs.  In order to test these properly I like to use as many test drives as possible.  I've had a few die of old age recently and I'm running a bit low.  Instead of buying new ones, I figured I would try to help my fellow unRAIDers get rid of their old drives.

We all have hard drives that are too small to be worthwhile storage in our servers, but too large to just throw away.  For me, drives in the 250 - 750 GB range fall into that category, but of course everyone has different criteria.  Anyway, these are the types of drives I'm interested in.  The title was a bit facetious, I'm not actually interested in weak drives.  Tired and downtrodden, sure.

Here's what I'm looking for:

• SATA only (sorry, no IDE)
  • 2.5" and 3.5" sizes
  • any capacity, though smaller are actually better (as they take less time to complete my tests)
  • 5400 rpm - 7200 rpm preferred, but I might take 10k drives as well
  • Ability to pass both short and long SMART tests (I would like a copy of the SMART report and/or a successful preclear output)
  • No obvious issues (click of death, broken connectors, etc.)
  • US only, international shipping will likely be too much of a hassle.  I can also send you some anti-static HDD bags if you don't have any.

If you have any drives that meet these criteria that you would like to get rid of, please PM or email me.  I will happily accept donated drives, and I'll cover all shipping charges.  I'm willing to pay (via PayPal) a reasonable amount for drives as well.  I would especially appreciate anyone who can send me multiple drives in one shipment.

If anyone has any used SSDs that they don't want anymore (maybe the capacity is too small, it is too slow, etc.) then I might be interested in that as well.  Again, PM or email me and we'll discuss.

Hey guys, I have a few 40GB/80GB/160GB drives, SATA, 7200RPM. All are good drives. Think there are four or five of them total. I can run pre-clears on them. I also have a bulk distrbution box for shipping 5 drives at a time, all secure and padded. Shipping shouldn't be to bad from Canada. Cover the shipping and I will donate them if interested... If you PM the zip code, I can get an estimate from Canada Post based on the size of the box.

Let me know,

Shawn

Hey guys, I have a few 40GB/80GB/160GB drives, SATA, 7200RPM. All are good drives. Think there are four or five of them total. I can run pre-clears on them. I also have a bulk distrbution box for shipping 5 drives at a time, all secure and padded. Shipping shouldn't be to bad from Canada. Cover the shipping and I will donate them if interested... If you PM the zip code, I can get an estimate from Canada Post based on the size of the box.

Let me know,

Shawn

If your willing to donate them that would be great.  I will PM you with some info.

Thanks