WTB: UnRAID Pro Registration Key

I do not believe any Mod or Lime-Tech themselves have said anything about it being "ok to go halves" with someone else.  Sure, it can be done, but it is not the reason the 2 pack exists.

On the other hand, I don't remember ever seeing Lime-Tech condemning anyone going halves on the keys either.

I do not believe any Mod or Lime-Tech themselves have said anything about it being "ok to go halves" with someone else.  Sure, it can be done, but it is not the reason the 2 pack exists.

On the other hand, I don't remeember ever seeing Lime-Tech condemning anyone going halves on the keys either.

I believe I remember seeing something from Lime-Tech on the subject about it being frowned upon.  There really is no "good" way to stop it from happening, short of removing the 2 pack from the website.

Not to get all teary-eyed and all, but I think it is pretty obvious how much we all love this software, that we're all shouting "buy the software, take no shortcuts!". Just sayin'. And I'm one of them. As I've mentioned somewhere else earlier, I have never been so happy to pay for a piece of software. Go figure.  :P  (And yes I bought the PRO double, one of which is inside my rig, the other one doesn't even have a corresponding stick yet, I'll activate it once I need a backup (which I hope never happens), or rather, once I build server no.2).

Agreed.  In my view it's simply a question of ethics - the same as any other multiple PC software license.  One organisation, be it a company or an individual representing a family or household, can reasonably use multiple licensed copies of software (look at Microsoft, Norton, etc).  Two unconnected groups (individuals, families or companies) should not since they potentially require twice the support from the vendor compared to the former case.  And despite the fact that Limetech only provide limited direct support themselves, they do provide this forum which itself has a cost.  Limetech sell the twin license pack as an aid to users who desire a back up key or who are building a second server.  Any other use of the twin license offering seems just wrong to my way of thinking.

I don't think it's necessarily unethical to share a 2 pack license.

Directly from the unRAID FAQ:

Can I split a two pack license with a friend/stranger?

Two pack licenses are sold at a discount to allow users to create a backup unRAID, a second USB flash drive to cover the scenario where the first one has failed.

It is obvious though that people looking for a bargain will realize that if they split the two pack license, they can save some cash.

The general rules of thumb are:

splitting with a real life friend is OK.

splitting with a stranger is NOT OK.

This means that if you come to the forum and advertise a cheap unRAID license for sale, you will not get a warm welcome. Remember by splitting a two pack license you are RESELLING one. Technically, the person you split with is not entitled to commercial support.

So while it is not unheard of to split license packs, please support the project, ensuring it will stay alive, by following the normal purchase routes.

Considering even primary license holders don't receive much in the way of commercial support beyond the use of this forum, it doesn't seem wrong to split it with an acquaintance.  Of course, that doesn't apply to this thread.

Two pack licenses are sold at a discount to allow users to create a backup unRAID, a second USB flash drive to cover the scenario where the first one has failed.

It is obvious though that people looking for a bargain will realize that if they split the two pack license, they can save some cash.

This means that if you come to the forum and advertise a cheap unRAID license for sale, you will not get a warm welcome. Remember by splitting a two pack license you are RESELLING one. Technically, the person you split with is not entitled to commercial support.

So while it is not unheard of to split license packs, please support the project, ensuring it will stay alive, by following the normal purchase routes.

Considering even primary license holders don't receive much in the way of commercial support beyond the use of this forum, it doesn't seem wrong to split it with an acquaintance.  Of course, that doesn't apply to this thread.

But...  the FAQ was written by unRAID users, not someone at lime-tech. 

Let's give "Limetech" 2 months to reply to this query. If they don't reply within that timeframe, we should consider the product "Abandonware" and do what the hell we want with it.

I say this as a purchaser of two Pro licenses that I use myself and do not share.

Seriously, the official "support" on this product is a fucking joke.

Considering even primary license holders don't receive much in the way of commercial support beyond the use of this forum, it doesn't seem wrong to split it with an acquaintance.  Of course, that doesn't apply to this thread.

But...  the FAQ was written by unRAID users, not someone at lime-tech.  

I had no idea that was the case.  I guess that's the danger in making something apparently community-created part of the official website.  There's no way for customers to know where the dividing line is.  Boxee does the same thing.  They host a discussion forum, but do not consider it affiliated with Boxee in any way, and do not monitor or endorse it.

I quite honestly thought that was the official policy on sharing 2 pack licenses.

Edit:  I see down in the blue boxes at the bottom of the first page it describes the types of content.  I know I never read those before today, and I've been to that page hundreds of time.  I just click the FAQ link at the top, which gives no indication of its source.  :-\

Let's give "Limetech" 2 months to reply to this query. If they don't reply within that timeframe, we should consider the product "Abandonware" and do what the hell we want with it.

I say this as a purchaser of two Pro licenses that I use myself and do not share.

I understand your frustration, but don't confuse official support with development.  As far as I've seen, official support from LimeTech has been rather good.  LimeTech has been known to address issues with various hardware and driver in a timely fashion.  Case in point - LimeTech is currently working on getting spin up and spin down working with certain modern SAS/SCSI cards.  LimeTech posted this thread just one week ago, and according to the forum members who have been helping LimeTech test the issue, it has been more or less resolved (though the beta has not yet been released publically).

Granted, I have heard of stories of emails sent directly to LimeTech about an issue that were never responded to.  I just don't believe this is a widespread practice.  If you personally have been ignored by LimeTech for a request for help, then I'm sorry to hear that.  I personally have not.

I believe the root of most of the frustration in this community is the slow development cycles.  However, that is a completely different beast from official support.  To call unRAID abandonware is far too harsh in my opinion.

I believe the root of most of the frustration in this community is the slow development cycles.  However, that is a completely different beast from official support.  To call unRAID abandonware is far too harsh in my opinion.

Obviously that was hyperbole for comedic and dramatic effect, but it's just a shame that the roadmap and mutterings posted earlier in the year about more frequent updates on development have evaporated. Like vaporware.  ;D

Have you actually had an issue that required "official support"? Have you directly emailed lime-tech with an official problem where you needed it rectified? Even if you were kidding your outburst was unknowledgable and uncalled for. Items posted in a forum are not acceptable as support requests... do you know how many posts happen here per day? Why do you think moderators were created.

The key point is to not confuse this forum for a portal to official support. It simply isnt.

Official support is via direct email contact with Limetech LLC. Confusing anything other than this with official support will indeed make it look like things are slow.

However we have no real stats on official support other than a few success story's and a surprisingly small amount of delayed stories usually relating to license registration emails getting lost.

It is a fact if unRAID life that Limetech LLC goes MIA from tis forum but that is NOT MIA from support, that is always available via email.

Official support is via direct email contact with Limetech LLC. Confusing anything other than this with official support will indeed make it look like things are slow.

Devil's advocate here perhaps; however, it's the very support on these forums that exists that persuaded me to bother with unRAID, much less pay for it.  That being said, perhaps the forums are more "official" in some customers mind than what you give credit for -- and if I'm wrong in that mindset, then, frankly, I'd rather not be right.

Is it a bad thing that the community is so good?

I am certain that many many people think this is an Official support forum. The website wording doesn't exactly make it clear that it is not but it does make it very clear listing the only entry under technical support:

"Technical Support

You may also contact Lime Technology directly with any technical support issue or question."

I have said it before and I will say it again that it needs some defining but it doesn't take away from the real fact that very few people have issues with email support. The issues come from the perception that Limetech is MIA from this forum reflecting in some way on technical support or development. unRAID is a slow to progress but reliable product. Always has been likely always will be. Would i prefer it not to be... yes but thats the way of the world.

In summary we have an official email support route that by all accounts is fast, reliable and definitive and the backup of a quite frankly huge community for such a niche product.

Is it a bad thing that the community is so good?

I believe I might have been misunderstood, given the quoted line alone.  The rest of your response, if directed towards me (no one else was quoted), had no relevance to what I said -- rather, assuming I was understood.

Unfortunately, I have no clearer way I could present my post in which you replied, sorry. :/

Beyond that I have no further interest in participating any longer in this thread as it seems it may be becoming borderline personal.  Just my take on it, regardless if someone points out that that isn't the case.  Have fun! :)

• 11 months later...

...you can sell and transfer ownership on what you own (like the USB key with an unRAID license applied).

What you might not be able to sell are the rights that have been given by the license to you, the orginal purchaser,

as long as the licence is not violating a law itself (like if there is still warranty on the product, this is passed on with the sale regardless what the license might say).

What is it that would possibly not be transferable?...well, the right of lifetime version upgrade or such.

Simplest thing to find out is to ask Tom/Limetech directly....cheaper than a lawyer and I think you'll find limetech to make reasonable decisions.