Realtek RTL8156 2.5gb USB3 Nic not working

mdrodge

Since I upgraded my file server to 6.10 rc3 I've lost compatibility with my 2.5gb Nic.  (Chipset: RTL8156   MODEL: StarTech.com 2.5Gb/s USB 3.0 Ethernet Nic adaptor)

I upgraded to rc3, rebooted and then spent 30 minutes trying to connect and had to remove the network.cfg file and swap to the onboard lan.

This is an ITX system and only has one slot and that is for the HBA so my only hope for decent network speeds is USB.

The Nic is not detected by Unraid anymore but works just fine under Windows and has been a very stable in Unraid until now (1 year) it has a metal body and it is cooled by the psu fan so I am quite sure the issue is Unraid especially since it started exactly as I updated.

((((As a side note a different server I have has been crashing since rc2 and I've had to remove the pci-e 2.5gb nic. (not sure on model at the moment) (though this isn't conclusive yet, as it was every few weeks so I need a month long test))))

Edited by mdrodge
updated title
  • mdrodge changed the title to Realtek RTL8156 2.5gb USB3 Nic not working in Unraid 6.10 rc3 - rc4
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/22/2022 at 9:34 AM, cb said:

Hi mdrodge,

I don't have the solution but with my hardware i have to revert to RC1 [6.10RC4] MY ETH1 NETWORK DISAPEAR

I don't know if I'm clear in my explanations in the post but maybe you have the same problem.

If yes maybe an unraid / linux expert have a solution.

rc5 is supposed to fix the issue.

I'll test it later (when the kids are asleep)

if i don't comment in 24 hours then assume it's working or at least in testing but not broken enough to come back and update. :)

Update..... :( still the same. no fix.

Edited by mdrodge
  • 1 month later...
  • mdrodge changed the title to Realtek RTL8156 2.5gb USB3 Nic not working in Unraid 6.10.3 (or any previous 6.10 build after 6.10 rc3)
2 hours ago, JorgeB said:

And before it worked with -rc2? If yes it should keep working, please post the diagnostics from -rc2.

It seems to mess up the network.cnfg file some how.

It can't get diagnostic on it because it's offline until the network.cnfg has been removed and the lan cables swapped and new ip issued.

I was told that this is a greater Linux issue though, something about the driver from Realtek apparently. 

• 8 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Another "stable" update that turns my servers in paperweights 6.12.2 (from 6.11.5)

and even after restore something is broken (my guess is this same issue since the symptoms seem familiar)

I'm to busy to follow every change log and spend hours reading at the moment witch is why I stick to stable releases right now but I don't believe this type of experience should qualify as stable in a paid product.

The server in question only has plex and a 2.5gb nic.

That's not a complex set up, it should be hands free. Instead it's off line again and no way of telling why.

Hopefully just a reinstall of the nic driver... simple

(after deploying the backup, deleting network.cfg, swapping nics, finding the ip, reupdating os, installing driver, swapping nic back, finding new ip, stopping array, configuring network settings, reboot with lan unplugged to prevent ip conflicts.  just a few hours)  

• mdrodge changed the title to Realtek RTL8156 2.5gb USB3 Nic not working