Dell T40 Xeon E-2224G bad cpu?

I have been running a Dell T40 for my first unraid server. It has a Xeon E-2224G cpu with 32 gb of memory. 4x3TB disks and 2 cache ssd drives.

I get high CPU utilization when very little is running on it. I have one VM and 6 docker containers running. They all very light.

The picture below is because mover is running and some light mythtv recording in the VM.

What should I be looking for that could be causing the cpu load. I cannot believe this cpu is so underpowered (but maybe it is).   top does not show anything terribly bad on unraid or in the vm.

image.thumb.png.1d993f6214158ff936cc4a8fd8ca6048.png

On 3/31/2022 at 10:56 AM, squish102 said:

cannot believe this cpu is so underpowered (but maybe it is).

Not a weak CPU

On 3/31/2022 at 10:56 AM, squish102 said:

some light mythtv recording in the VM.

Try stop the recording, Does all resume normal ?

Edited by Vr2Io
  • 2 months later...

You need to look more into how mythtv is doing its encoding (settings, options, etc). With that much CPU consumption I would think that its doing software encoding and probably some high bitrate or high quality settings. Need to check if you need to do anything to get it to use quicksync to offload then I think it would be ok. Still this is only unraid, I think more research is needed on the mythtv side.