Unraid keeps trying to write to full disk

Go to solution Solved by JonathanM,

Disk 4 in my array has only 2GB left. The other disks have 1-2TB free space.

I have all shares set to high water and 250GB minimum free space. However, whenever I try to write to my "tv" share, I keep getting "no space left on device" errors.

I'm losing data and it's corrupting my Plex.

I've even tried setting the allocation method for the "tv" share to "fill up" instead of high water and it still writes partial files to the full Disk 4 until it has only a few KB left.

Why isn't the Allocation method working correctly?

Why isn't it respecting my minimum free space rules?

44 minutes ago, JonathanM said:

What is your split level?

I think that was it. It was level 2. Changing it to any level seems to have fixed it.

I must say it's not very intuitive. What's does split level 2 mean? Does a lower level or a higher level mean that directories will be split across disks earlier? And why does split level override minimum free space?!

16 minutes ago, cinereus said:

I think that was it. It was level 2. Changing it to any level seems to have fixed it.

I must say it's not very intuitive. What's does split level 2 mean? Does a lower level or a higher level mean that directories will be split across disks earlier? And why does split level override minimum free space?!

It is described in the documentation that was linked to - if you think that is not clear then mentioning what you found confusing will help with improving the documentation.  

In simplistic terms it refers to the number of folder levels that are allowed to exist on multiple drives.   All further levels are constrained to the drive where the folder at that level is first created.   Thus the higher the level the less restrictive.

26 minutes ago, itimpi said:

It is described in the documentation that was linked to - if you think that is not clear then mentioning what you found confusing will help with improving the documentation.  

In simplistic terms it refers to the number of folder levels that are allowed to exist on multiple drives.   All further levels are constrained to the drive where the folder at that level is first created.   Thus the higher the level the less restrictive.

It's the webui in-page help that is confusing.

And the counterintuitive fact that split level overrides minimum free space.

23 minutes ago, cinereus said:

And the counterintuitive fact that split level overrides minimum free space.

If you told Unraid which disks to use, and which folders are allowed to automatically spread across those disks and which ones are restricted to disks where the folder already exists, where is it supposed to put the overflow after it runs out of space?

Returning "no space left on device" is the only answer that makes logical sense if you follow it through, otherwise people would complain that the files are being written to locations that they didn't want.

Unfortunately split level is a difficult concept to put across in purely words, many years ago I asked for a graphical representation that would populate a sample path across disks that would show you the valid target disk(s) for any specific path depth with the given share settings, but that was deemed too complex to code, or not enough benefit for the work, something like that.

• Like 1