LSI 9305-24i firmware update Unraid 6.9.2

Hi all, currently looking to update firmware on my lsi 9305-24i. Theres some anecdotal evidence of an older firmware throwing false UDMACRC errors, which is behaviour i was seeing. 

looking at these instructions to do it on my unraid server when its back up and running The issue i have is, the latest firmware version is 16.12, whereas the latest installer is only version 15. and marked as archived on the broadcomm site. Is there a linux installer v16 i should be using? Will i run into issues if the installer version and firmware versions dont match?

i realise that this is a very specific question but would love some real world experience and guidance.

Also, if anyone knows how to do this firmware update via windows 11 home edition that would help greatly too

• 1 month later...
On 4/3/2022 at 8:42 PM, SluggishWorm said:

Hi all, currently looking to update firmware on my lsi 9305-24i. Theres some anecdotal evidence of an older firmware throwing false UDMACRC errors, which is behaviour i was seeing. 

looking at these instructions to do it on my unraid server when its back up and running The issue i have is, the latest firmware version is 16.12, whereas the latest installer is only version 15. and marked as archived on the broadcomm site. Is there a linux installer v16 i should be using? Will i run into issues if the installer version and firmware versions dont match?

i realise that this is a very specific question but would love some real world experience and guidance.

Also, if anyone knows how to do this firmware update via windows 11 home edition that would help greatly too

I'm not sure if you've made any progress, but the P16.12 zip for Windows/DOS has the required sas3flash utility to install it. There doesn't appear to be a similar image for Linux, so I'll be using this one on my new 9305-24i. Of course that requires a Windows system or a bootable DOS USB key to use. Here's the link for it:

https://docs.broadcom.com/docs/9305_24i_Pkg_P16.12_IT_FW_BIOS_for_MSDOS_Windows.zip

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 5/30/2022 at 1:09 AM, AgentXXL said:

I'm not sure if you've made any progress, but the P16.12 zip for Windows/DOS has the required sas3flash utility to install it. There doesn't appear to be a similar image for Linux, so I'll be using this one on my new 9305-24i. Of course that requires a Windows system or a bootable DOS USB key to use. Here's the link for it:

https://docs.broadcom.com/docs/9305_24i_Pkg_P16.12_IT_FW_BIOS_for_MSDOS_Windows.zip

Hi. Can you tell me how to upgrade firmware on windows? I downloaded the file but firmware it’s a bin file. How do I execute that file on windows? Thanks.

9 hours ago, northeastern-moonlight4716 said:

and when I press sas3flash it does nothing. Any help? Thanks.

There's a couple of ways to do it, but it's commandline no matter what. There's no GUI to use with a mouse. The full instructions are in the manual I've attached, but it comes down to a couple of commands:

Extract the archive from that download link to a location on your Windows system. In the extracted folder are sub-folders called Firmware, sas3flash_win_x64_rel and sasbios_rel. Copy the SAS9305_24i_IT_P.bin, sas3flash.exe and mptsas3.rom files from each folder respectively to another folder, eg. create a folder on c:\ called Flash and copy those 3 files into it. The BIOS is optional - I don't bother flashing the BIOS as it's just one more delay during bootup. Change directory in the command prompt session to the folder containing those files, eg. cd c:\Flash if you used the name and location I suggested.

1. Validate that the sas3flash tool can see your 9305-24i with the command: sas3flash.exe -listall. If no adapters are found, you'll need to figure that out 1st.

2. Use the command: sas3flash.exe -o -listsasadd to retrieve the SAS adapter address, similar to a MAC address on a NIC. Record the SAS address for future reference.

3. Erase the existing flash firmware, BIOS and SAS address with the command: sas3flash.exe –o –e 6

4. Flash the IT firmware with the command: sas3flash.exe -o -f SAS9305_24i_IT_P.bin

5. Optional: Flash the BIOS with the command: sas3flash.exe -b mptsas3.rom

6. Re-program the SAS Address with the command: sas3flash –o –sasadd <sasaddress> where <sasaddress> is the value you recorded in step 2.

7. Re-check the 9305-24i to make sure it was updated by using the same command used in step 1. You should see the new firmware listed.

See the attached manual (also in the original archive) for any further clarification on commands or examples of how they are used. I've done the same with my 9305-24i, but I used the UEFI version of sas3flash - doesn't matter if you use the DOS, Win, Linux or UEFI version of the command, they all should work similarly. Let me know if you need any clarifications. Oh, and try to do it on a system powered with a UPS - if power were to fail during the flash, your HBA could get bricked.

sas3Flash_quickRefGuide_rev1-0.pdf

Edited by AgentXXL
grammar