Node 804, low power, transcoding and many drives

This is my second homemade unraid server, first one was a mini-itx with a ssd based array only used for plex with hw transcoding capability, (Ryzen 2700x with 45 TDP set in bios and Nvidia quadro P2200), medias were stored on a Synology Nas.

Now I want to combine all in one Box, for reducing space and power saving and use NAS only for backup.

I mainly use plex and handbrake.

Requirement for my new Config : Low TDP but with good amount of core.

for the media storage array : 12 3.5 drives minimum, more room for additional 2.5 drives is best.

for the application array : 2 nvme ssd (data + parity).

Here are the parts list :

- Case : Fractal Design Node 804

- Case Fans :

5x Noctua NF-S12B Redux 1200 PWM (4 for front air intake, 1 at rear on the motherboard side for exhaust)

3x Noctua NF-P14S REDUX-1500 PWM (1 for exhaust on the hdd side, 1 on the roof on the motherboard side for exhaust, 1 for cooling the pcie cards)

- Fan splitters : Aquacomputer RGBpx Splitty4

- CPU : AMD Ryzen 3900 (65W TDP, non X version)

- CPU Cooler : Scythe Big Shuriken 3

- CPU Cooler additional Fan : Noctua NF-P12 Redux-1700 PWM

- GPU : PNY Nvidia Quadro P2200

- PSU : SilverStone SST-SX800-LTI

- PSU additional Cable : SilverStone SST-PP06B-MB55 kit and SILVERSTONE PP06B-3SATA80M

- Motherboard : ASRock Rack X470D4U

- HBA Card : LSI 9207-8i SATA/SAS 6Gb/s PCI-E 3.0

- Ram : 2x Kingston KSM32ED8/32ME (64Gb ECC DDR4 total ram)

- SSD :  parity & data : 2x 1 Tb ADATA SX8200 Pro M2 Nvme

for media array : 2x Samsung SSD 870 EVO MZ-77E500B Sata

- Nvme SSD cooling : 2x HYBRID COOLING MODDING PRO EVO.X V2

- Hard Drives : parity : 2x 16 Tb Toshiba MG08ACA16TE data : 10x 8 Tb Seagate ST8000DM004 (pre owned)

- M2 support : Delock PCI Express x4 Card > 1 x internal NVMe M.2 Key M

- Additionnal Fan holder : Expansion Slot Side Fan Mounting Kit

- Additional Drives holder : Nexus DoubleTwin Hard Drive Vibration Absorber

Tool-less mounting for Sata SSDs :

- Icy Dock ExpressCage MB742SP-B

- for mount this inside the case : XSPC Radiator Standoff Bracket Set (6-32 UNC) (plus some screws and washers).

Next step, the build...

Edited by doobyns
  • 1 month later...

the build is still unfinished, spend one week with a blank screen on boot and no precise information from the "dr debug" lcd panel...

The solution was to boot without the pcie cards, only AC and ethernet cable, then get into ipmi via web browser, then launch KVM and set pci bufircation to x8x8 in the bios...

Then to put back all the pcie cards on the motherboard.

After that i saw Bios Post screen, then Lsi HBA card bootup, etc...

At this moment i'm testing with a trial version of Unraid to check that there's no problems with the pcie devices, then i will test with all the drives..

Note : I had to buy an additional cable kit (SilverStone SST-PP06B-MB55) for the PSU, the 24 pin cable supplied with the Sx800-LTI are too short.

Edited by doobyns
On 6/14/2022 at 6:50 AM, prozonelayer said:

Looking great! Were you able to fit all 12 spinning disks in there??

Also, how are temps and noise?

Yeah there's 12 x 3.5 Hdd drives, 2 x 2.5 Hdd and 2x M.2 SSd...

At this moment my server is in a closed clothes closet, with very few airflow, the average temp in my location is 30 °C (= 86 °F), the temp are acceptables on the HDD sides (Hdds are between 41°C and 43°C when preclearing), but on the Motherboard Side the Hdd under the MB is quite Hot (52°C while preclearing), i will make a "mesh mod" on the door to replace the acrylic window by mesh).

Here it is :
node804_meshdoor.thumb.jpg.7a4ed6fa9f7083cae09ffd9a09584506.jpg

With this mo the temps are more acceptable : 48°c while parity check, it's better but i'm not entirely satisfied, i will make another improvement with magnetic fanmount...

Edited by doobyns
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, PaulV86 said:

What is the idle power usage fot this machine? 

Can't give a precise number at this moment, i'm using an UPS eaton Ellipse 1200 (1200 VA) via network, the ups is connected via usb on my DS918+ but there are three devices idling on the same UPS my server, a Synology DS918+, and a Synology DX513 (with 5 Seagate exos x16 16TB), i can give you a recent pic all hard drives off (files are served y cache) and just 2 transcoding on plex, plus the two Synology idling on the same ups :

Capture d’écran 2022-07-30 205959.png

38 minutes ago, PaulV86 said:

That's around 127 watts for all three together, Seagate takes around 5w a piece in the lowest power consuming mode, DX513 idles at 15w, 918+ (without disks?) 12w.
So a very rough approximation: 75watts for the Node 804

Thank you :)

There is only a 2.5 SSD in the DS918+.

But the node 804 wasn't really idling there was two transcode on the Unraid server, you can count roughly 15W for 2 stream on the Quadro P2200, and my p2p drive (seagate barracuda 8TB) was spinning, and the two nvme ssd and sata ssd were always active... (like all the ssd).

I will make better measurements when I will remove the two Synology and use the PSU only for the Unraid server.