support for snapshots and Windows previous version

I am coming from a Synology / Xpenology set of NAS, have been evaluating TrueNAS scale and really like what unraid has to offer.

I believe the unraid style of aggregate volumes with parity makes sense for me for media volumes. That said I rely on BTRFS snapshots and the previous volumes feature it enabled in windows 10.  I don't have complicated snapshot requirements, and could live with something simple say one snap a day, keep the last 7 days worth before they are auto purged.

Is something like this possible with addins or even a little command line configuration? I wouldn't want something that was so far out of best practices that a simple patching would likely endanger my data / functionality

You can take snapshots manually with the CLI (or a script) or use for example the snapshots plugin, just keep in mind that with Unraid each array device is an independent filesystem, so if a share spans more than one device they will be in multiple filesystems/snapshots, as for previous volumes with Windows they should work as long as the correct Samba options are set, it's something I never tried but I think I've seen in the forums before.

So, let’s say I use BTRFS for each individual disk in my unraid style volume

I cron’d a job to take a daily snapshot on each disk at the same time.

I created a share for media and included all those disks.
Writing to that share would result in files distributed among those disks, but I wouldn’t know it because unraid shows An aggregate view

Would I see a similar aggregate view inside the previous version view into that share?

I realize I can try this out for myself, but I hope I am still in the area that is not unheard of with unraid 

I have 3x4TB array devices and a single SSDpool device as a cache.

My disk1/2 and cache are configured BTRFS

I installed the plugin above and created snaps on all three disks at the root.

I can browse to the SMB share via windows, but there is no previous versions detected by windows.

I must be missing something.

6 hours ago, mervincm said:

but there is no previous versions detected by windows.

like mentioned:

On 4/6/2022 at 7:59 AM, JorgeB said:

as for previous volumes with Windows they should work as long as the correct Samba options are set

I use snapshots but never tried Windows previous versions, you'll need to google what's needed, for example:

https://michlstechblog.info/blog/samba-setup-for-windows-previous-versions-support/

Thanks for the link. I am searching and playing with it. This is something home NAS solutions have that just works by default, so I imagine unraid users / team have found a way. Most users still have Windows desktops. Previous versions is a decade old solution to remove access barriers to snapshot copies. This pattern shouldn’t be an uphill battle, I just need to find it.