Compute all Disk Shares shows warning: "Syntax error" and "Invalid argument" - what to do?

Go to solution Solved by trurl,

Hi!

After a recent cockup on my part, with running my Adaptec card in RAID mode instead of HBA mode, I had to restore 3 drives using UFS Explorer Standard. I managed to restore the vast majority of the files without a problem and some I'll have to manually edit names etc for. I'll do a writeup in the other thread on how progress went, maybe it helps someone in the future.

Now, after I've restored the files and managed to copy them back to a now functional array again, I get these 4 warnings:

Warning: syntax error, unexpected '$' in state/disk3.ssz2 on line 3 in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix/include/DiskList.php on line 71

Warning: syntax error, unexpected '$' in state/disk2.ssz2 on line 5 in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix/include/DiskList.php on line 71

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix/include/DiskList.php on line 103

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix/include/DiskList.php on line 103

This is in unRAID UI > Shares > Disk Shares, after running "Compute All":

1246992995_Skrmavbild2022-04-06kl_12_39_42.thumb.png.4012b84fdaca6d5d4434589441dc245a.png

I tried restarting in Safe Mode, but that didn't help. I guess not running the plugins have no affect on the compute warning.

I located the file in Midnight Commander and tried editing it, but to be honest I wouldn't know what to actually edit... :D

I tried removing the DiskList.php file but that only seemed to break Disk Shares and now after pressing "Compute All" it's just stuck loading. Pulled the diagnostics after this so I'll attach that.

Anyone have any good suggestion on a way forward?

define7-diagnostics-20220406-1252.zip

Edited by kim_sv
Deleted duplicate upload
2 hours ago, trurl said:

You have a user share with '$' as its first character. I suspect that is the reason for the problem with the User Shares page.

Yes this causes PHP errors when doing disk calculations (share calculations are fine).

I made a fix for this in the next release.

Thx.

6 hours ago, trurl said:

Reboot and get us diagnostics without making any changes to the OS.

I've just added a parity drive and it is building parity now, so I'll wait for that to finish and after that I'll restart and post diagnostics.

6 hours ago, trurl said:

Why are you sharing disks? I recommend only sharing User Shares. Several possible ways to cause yourself problems with disk shares and user shares both.

Normally I don't, but I've been trying to solve a previous problem with file system corruption and used disk share for part of the file moving. 

6 hours ago, trurl said:

You have a user share with '$' as its first character. I suspect that is the reason for the problem with the User Shares page.

Ah, should've seen that. I just left the file structure as UFS Explorer spat it out. Now I've gone through those unnamed folders and the share is deleted.

3 hours ago, bonienl said:

Yes this causes PHP errors when doing disk calculations (share calculations are fine).

I made a fix for this in the next release.

Thx.

Perfect, in case someone else leaves the files that UFS Explorer creates as top directory like me... 😅

2 hours ago, kim_sv said:

used disk share for part of the file moving.

Never mix disk shares and user shares when moving or copying files. Linux doesn't know user shares and disks are the same files, and so will allow you to specify a destination that is the same file as the source . When it creates the empty file for the destination copy and it is the same as the source file, the source is lost.

Unraid v6.10 has a file manager plugin that will allow you to work with files directly on the server instead of over the network. Or you can use the builtin Midnight Commander (mc at the command line, google it). That is what I have always used to manage files directly on the server since Unraid v4.7

8 hours ago, trurl said:

Never mix disk shares and user shares when moving or copying files. Linux doesn't know user shares and disks are the same files, and so will allow you to specify a destination that is the same file as the source . When it creates the empty file for the destination copy and it is the same as the source file, the source is lost.

Unraid v6.10 has a file manager plugin that will allow you to work with files directly on the server instead of over the network. Or you can use the builtin Midnight Commander (mc at the command line, google it). That is what I have always used to manage files directly on the server since Unraid v4.7

Yes, I normally never use disk shares nor are they normally activated. 99% of the file transfers during my recovery was done through MC, file manager plugin (excellent plugin btw) or rsync so using disk shares wasn't the problem here. I just needed it for a few things and that's why it was activated.

Now my current problem is that I forgot (probably) to delete the content of one of the XFS formatted 18 TB drives I was using as middle "cache" during the recovery, before I put it into the array. Result is a duplicates problem that I haven't been able to solve yet. The drive (Disk 1) shows as 11.6 TB full in Main's tab, but I can only see 30 GB worth of files in /mnt/disk1 when checking in MC or Krusader of File manager plugin. Did try to run extended FCP test and dupeGuru without a result. Also tried Czkawka and that looks more promising. I'll look more into it after the parity build is complete in a few hours, but I will do a restart and post diagnostics first if the original problem in this thread persists.

3 hours ago, kim_sv said:

The drive (Disk 1) shows as 11.6 TB full in Main's tab, but I can only see 30 GB worth of files in /mnt/disk1 when checking in MC or Krusader of File manager plugin.

This would have nothing to do with duplicates if all you are looking at are the contents of disk1. If you were looking at user shares, duplicates would not show up and so that might make it seem some space was missing.

4 hours ago, trurl said:

This would have nothing to do with duplicates if all you are looking at are the contents of disk1. If you were looking at user shares, duplicates would not show up and so that might make it seem some space was missing.

I'm afraid I don't really follow you. Shouldn't computing /mnt/disk1 using file manager plugin show the exact content on Drive 1? Or check mnt/drive1 in MC?

Since it only seem to contain 30 GB instead of 11.6 TB that unRAID UI is showing, then what could the problem be? 

EDIT: I've booted into Ubuntu to check there and I see the same files as I did in unRAID (30 GB). None of the visible files in Ubuntu is something that is important, just appdata backup and flash backup. Both those will get recreated. Could I just format and partition the drive to like ext4 in Ubuntu and then restart into unRAID? That should make the drive unmountable and I could let unRAID format it and then rebuild from parity. 

Or is there some other way, that won't involve a new parity check? I guess not, but one could hope.. :P

Maybe just reboot into unRAID, change file system for the drive to BTFS and start the array. That would trigger a format, right? Then maybe change back to XFS since that's what I'd prefer..

Edited by kim_sv
Added more thoughts
41 minutes ago, kim_sv said:

I'm afraid I don't really follow you. Shouldn't computing /mnt/disk1 using file manager plugin show the exact content on Drive 1? Or check mnt/drive1 in MC?

That is exactly my point.

42 minutes ago, kim_sv said:

change file system for the drive to BTFS and start the array. That would trigger a format, right? Then maybe change back to XFS since that's what I'd prefer..

That is the usual method

• Like 1