Thinking of building a dual GPU Unraid VM server, help needed.

whc

Recently finished building an Unraid NAS server, and was pretty impressed at how easy it was, and how well it works. So am thinking about building (or rebuild my PC), into a Unraid VM dedicated server, since my currently NAS build is not powerful enough for that.

Currently I have two PCs in my office, one for gaming, one for video editing. This takes up allot of room, since I have multiple monitors for both setups, keyboard/mouse and so on. So knowing NOTHING about servers (only limited NAS experience), I hope someone here can help me understand how (if possible) I can "replace" two computers and just use on server instead and a client to VM into this server.

The other day I got a second TUF 3080 OC GPU, so now I have two of the same cards. Am thinking of putting both these cards in my MSI Unify X570 motherboard, with my Ryzen 9 X3900 CPU and 64GB RAM, in my Phanteks ECLIPSE P600S case, and have 2x 2tb and 1x 1TB NVME Samsung 980 Pro, so pretty decent specs, just getting a more powerfull PSU (have a 850W Gold Corsair in there now).

Could that be possible?, running two VMs one one server (Windows 11), one set of monitors, one keyboard, speaker, usb sound card, card readers and so on. And then have one VM for each GPU, splitting the CPU and RAM, one VM for gaming and one for video editing (DaVinci Resolve). What is the performance penalty running VM over dedicated hardware?

Have a low powered Lenovo Mini 25W i5 computer that I could run as client, have dual monitors output, and enough USB for my devices. Can something like that be used as client, or do I need a specific client pc? Am thinking of running the server only when I need to game/edit, and just turn off the server and use the Lenovo Mini for everything else, just to save power.

Any ideas and recommendations is much appreciated. Hoping that I can free up one desk, and just run all heavy tasks from a server. And also maybe (wishfull thinking) I can VPN home and use the server remotely at my girlfriends house over internet, I do have static IP and a raspberry pi 4 running Wireguard, and a 1gig internet connection (all though only 200mbit at my girlfriend).

Edited by whc