Server Unavailable during Parity Sync?

This is my first unRAID server (or any server for that matter), so I am looking for a little help here.

I have a 12-bay server and am starting up with five 2TB drives.  Got all the drives in, recognized and assigned last night.

Formatted the drives and everything went fine.

unRAID then wanted me to perform a parity sync on the drives, which I did.

During the formatting and parity sync, I hit "refresh" every so often to monitor progress.

The parity sync indicated that it would take approx. 9 hours and so with it getting late, I went to sleep with the parity sync at about 6% complete.

When I woke up this morning, I pressed refresh on my web browser in order to check status.  This time, my browser could not find the server.

As I was adding drives last night, I found that for some reason my browser would not find the server unless I restarted my computer and the browser.  OK maybe this is not accurate, but that did work to fix the problem. Maybe something else would have solved it, but I did find that simply refreshing my browser would not allow me to access the server when I made drive changes and had rebooted the server.

Thinking this might be happening again, I restarted my computer and my browser.  Still can't access the server.

Looked in Network Places and the server is not listed.  Even when I was having trouble accessing the server via my browser (see above), it always showed up in my Network Places (but not now).

Being a little hasty this morning, I figured I would restart the server by pressing the power button on the front.  That didn't do anything, the server is still on, fans blowing etc.  That never happened before (server failing to respond to power button).

When I was having my browser difficulties last night, I did a little disconnecting/reconnecting of the ethernet cable to the server.  It was easy to determine when the server would lose/regain network connection, because I would hear the server beep.  I could also see the difference at the Tower Login" screen when typing "root" followed by the command "ifconfig eth0".

Now when I disconnect/reconnnect the ethernet cable, no beep.  Just the server's fans blowing.

Finally, now when I type "root" at the "Tower Login" prompt, I get a password prompt.  This never happened to me prior to the parity sync, and I did not change any password settings. I tried just hitting enter at the password prompt, but it's telling me that my login is incorrect.

Because I can't get past "Tower Login" I can't post a syslog.  This is about all the info I have to offer.

For now I guess I will just leave the server running but whereas I was feeling pretty good about the process when I was able to monitor progress via my browser, now it seems like my server is just frozen given its lack of response.

Well server didn't seem to be doing much other than spinning fans, at least I couldn't get any indication that anything was going on, so I powered down the server, restarted my computer and browser, etc., and the parity-check is still in progress... and I can click refresh and see the progress, which has me happy...  Estimated time left is about 4 hours so we'll see how it goes...