Crap, stuck in v4.7

OK, so I built an Unraid machine back in 2012 for storing my wife's photography and some music/movies, etc.  Kind of a build and forget type of thing, and it worked out great up until we moved last summer.  When I finally got to unpacking the server and connecting to our network in out new house I could not access it.  in recent years our use of it declined slightly, but my wife still routinely saved her photography to it and I was able to grab music off of it.

I'm not sure if a Windows 10 update messed me up, but I'm stuck now, as I haven't really done any maintenance/updates on the server is basically a decade.

After the move I noticed I could no longer find the shared drives and the server name became invalid.  From my windows machine I can not even "see" the server in the Network devices, where it use to reside.  I was worried that the unraid was not working so I connected up a monitor and keyboard and verified it is running and I can see it with my router.  infact if I put the IP in my browser the unraid gui comes up (just not with the server name).

So now I'm trying to figure out what I need to do to get access to our stored files.

Unraid version 4.7

Windows 10 Home version 20H2

It seems many of the links for "Update to v6" are broken in the forum so and I very much want to make sure I don't lose any data.  please help.

Unraid4_7.png

Win10.png

Edited by calving35
typo

First of all, do you know if your current server hardware will support 64bit? It is required for V6.

https://wiki.unraid.net/Legacy/Upgrading_to_Unraid_6#Basic_hardware_requirements

Read over this whole thing just to get an idea:

https://wiki.unraid.net/Legacy/Upgrading_to_Unraid_6

I am going to give you a much smaller set of instructions aimed primarily at getting you going with your existing data, and then you can consider what else might be useful to try to carry forward from your current configuration:

https://wiki.unraid.net/Legacy/Upgrading_to_Unraid_6#Files_on_flash_drive

Make a backup of your flash drive.

Prepare that same flash drive as a new install of the latest stable V6.

Copy the *.key file from your backup to the config folder of that flash drive. This will keep your current license.

Copy config/super.dat from your backup to the config folder of that flash drive. This will keep your current disk assignments.

See if you can boot up.

You will eventually want to convert each array data disk to XFS, which will require moving the data from each so you can reformat.

There are a lot of new features to learn about. Even if you only care about the NAS functionality, V6 is a much better NAS.

Supermicron X7SPE-H-D525 mother board with a Intel Atom D525 processor, so 64-bit support.

Thanks for the info, I'll do some reading and see where that gets me.  It seems that while Windows 10 had their SMB setup for "years", an update in June/July of last year really pushed it out to be an issue as I've had windows 10 since 2015 with no issue until then...

RE: shared drives vs. User Share.  Yeah, sorry my tech talk has not been used in a while.  I use "User Shares" not "Drive Shares".  I meant my "mapped network drives" became invalid.

Does the update to V6.10(?) resolve the Windows SMBv1 issue or do I still need to work around on each of my windows machines?

We just got my wife a new Windows 11 machine so hopefully that doesn't monkey things up too...

Edited by calving35

Wow!.  all up and going again.  I'll have to look at expanding my storage as I'm probably about 75% filled on 10TB.  next up to look into XFS...

VERY important is the  "New Permissions",  when I first did the update and setup the array I could see the shares but not access them,  this step fixed that!

3 minutes ago, calving35 said:

I'll have to look at expanding my storage as I'm probably about 75% filled on 10TB.  next up to look into XFS...

Reverse that, or at least combine them.

My advice (assuming you have an empty hardware spot for another disk) is to buy the largest drive that makes sense to you financially, then...

1. Do a non-correcting parity check. Zero errors, if not find out what's wrong before proceeding.

2. Remove the parity drive and replace it with the new large drive. Build parity.

3. Repeat step 1.

4. Install old parity disk as a data disk, let Unraid clear it then format as XFS

5. Repeat step 1.

6. Copy the entire content of largest remaining ReiserFS data disk to newly formatted XFS disk. Verify copy is accurate by whatever means makes you comfortable.

7. Format source drive from previous step to XFS.

8. Repeat steps 6 and 7 until all disks are XFS.

The reason I recommend copying instead of moving...

It's MUCH faster. Moving from a ReiserFS can be painfully slow, where a copy runs as fast as possible. Deleting files and emptying a ReiserFS drive takes eons compared to simply formatting it to XFS.

It's safer. You can verify the copy was successful before formatting the source drive.

There is a whole sticky thread dedicated to transitioning from one filesystem to another, I've summarized my favorite method here.

• Like 1