Use Wireguard-Network on a VM? (wg0)

Hi guys,

I am trying to do something that might be not very popular.

I am running a Windows VM that is isolated from any WAN-Out / WAN-out, so no internet connection at all. However, this VM runs a parsec host (something like a VNC/Remote Desktop, but much faster).

I only want clients to connect to the machine using parsec that are inside the LAN - either tunneled through wireguard or physically - and this works for physically connected clients.

Specifically,

Working scenario 1:

Windows VM runs on br01 (10.10.20.0/24)

Client runs on 10.10.20.0/24

Working scenario 2:

Windows VM runs on 10.10.20.0/24

Client runs on 192.168.1.0/24

Not working:

Windows VM runs on 10.10.20.0/24

Client runs on 10.153.1.3 (wg0 from wireguard)

So, it seems that parsec can't find the host even though the network is routed correctly (the wireguard client has access to the 10.10.20.0/24 lan). 

Does anyone have a solution for this type of problem?

Can’t see any obvious reason why that would not work and I do something similar myself using NoMachine to access a Windows machine (rather than a VM) on my LAN routed through the Unraid WireGuard tunnel.    I think you need to provide more information on how you have WireGuard set up.    You also need to make sure that your remote client is on a different subnet to the home LAN.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for your response. I am now quite sure it has something to do with parsec itself, because I can route bidirectional through the LANs. I will try to investigate a little more during the weekend.

I've now just seen that I forget to mention in the OP that I am able to connect to the machine from wg0. So routing works between br0 <--> wg0 as expected (remote access to LAN)

Edited by kf3333