221bBS: Norco RPC-4224 (first build): Level 1 Tested: UPDATED 2011-05-24

Really nice Job on your build. I like how you took your time and documented things. I've found with other projects that wasting a few hours of my time saved others dozens of combined hours when they encountered the exact same things I've figured out.

In English thanks for the effort I'm sure others will benefit. ;)

Really nice Job on your build. I like how you took your time and documented things. I've found with other projects that wasting a few hours of my time saved others dozens of combined hours when they encountered the exact same things I've figured out.

In English thanks for the effort I'm sure others will benefit. ;)

Thanks, I figured that it might help others set up there servers but it will also help me if something goes wrong with my server and I need some sort of reference to help to troubleshoot.

I've added a link to the perl addon in Components, Part 2 and also updated Building My Server, Part 2. Created my own MySlots image and attached the file I used to create it.

Your motherboard has already passed Level 1, so no real need to test it again.  However, I looked over your syslog anyway and everything looks good.  I see that you are having the same issue that I am with cache_dirs - it causes the array to take several minutes to unmount the disks.  You might want to tweak the script a bit so that it works better for your system.  How exactly, I'm not sure...that would be a question for the script's author, Joe L.

Thanks for taking a look, I didn't know it has already passed level 1 testing. I've update the wiki.

I didn't know that cache_dirs is causing a problem with my array. Hopefully the author will find a fix soon cause I have no idea how to tweak the script myself.

If the slow shutdowns don't bother you, then there is no problem.  You appear to only have one share right now (music), so maybe it isn't a big deal for you at the moment.  I have over 10 shares and only 2 GBs of RAM, so with cache_dirs enabled my server will sometimes take up to 15 minutes or more to shut down.  I run it nearly 24/7, so it generally isn't a big deal, but it can be very annoying when I'm troubleshooting or testing something new.

I have over 10 shares and only 2 GBs of RAM, so with cache_dirs enabled my server will sometimes take up to 15 minutes or more to shut down. 

Wow. that would drive me nuts.

I can see a potential problem though. in a power failure, 15 min can be a long time when running on battery. if you told the server to shut down with 10 min of battery left. Just keep that in mind in your APC settings until that is fixed.

I have over 10 shares and only 2 GBs of RAM, so with cache_dirs enabled my server will sometimes take up to 15 minutes or more to shut down. 

Wow. that would drive me nuts.

I can see a potential problem though. in a power failure, 15 min can be a long time when running on battery. if you told the server to shut down with 10 min of battery left. Just keep that in mind in your APC settings until that is fixed.

Good point, I didn't think about that.  If I upgraded to 4 or 8 GBs of RAM I expect that my problem would be solved.  Or I could just stop using cache_dirs...

• 3 years later...