links for share types

24 minutes ago, trurl said:

I started to correct that, but not clear if discussion of flash even belongs in a section about disk shares. You can share flash without sharing disks.

I reworked the wording (as well as correcting the mount point) to point out it is not normally what we consider as a Disk Share, so see what you think.  I think there is a benefit to mentioning it somewhere in the discussion around shares if only to help users find out how to get at it over the network.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, itimpi said:

I reworked the wording (as well as correcting the mount point) to point out it is not normally what we consider as a Disk Share, so see what you think.  I think there is a benefit to mentioning it somewhere in the discussion around shares if only to help users find out how to get at it over the network.

Since you are playing with the wording, I have a couple nits.

These are shares that relate to individual drives or pools within the Unraid system.

When viewed at the Linux level then disk shares will appear directly under /mnt with a name corresponding to the drive.

When taken in the context of the full section this seems to imply that the disk shares won't be available under /mnt unless disk shares are enabled.

I don't have a suggestion on how to reword this, because it's factually accurate as it stands, but I can see how someone could be misled into thinking they needed to enable disk shares to see the /mnt/diskX paths.

2 hours ago, JonathanM said:

I don't have a suggestion on how to reword this, because it's factually accurate as it stands, but I can see how someone could be misled into thinking they needed to enable disk shares to see the /mnt/diskX paths.

I've had another go at improving the wording :)  Do you think this is now clearer or do you think it is still a little confusing and could be improved further.  I think getting it as clear as possible will pay of going forward.

• Thanks 1

Oh, at some point there needs to be a section for the new file manager plugin if there isn't already, I didn't look for it. When that happens, the warning about mixing user and disk shares can link to the file manager since that should be a safe way to deal with the types of issues that lure people into mixing user and disk shares.

2 hours ago, JonathanM said:

Oh, at some point there needs to be a section for the new file manager plugin if there isn't already, I didn't look for it. When that happens, the warning about mixing user and disk shares can link to the file manager since that should be a safe way to deal with the types of issues that lure people into mixing user and disk shares.

Good idea.   Not sure whether it fits into one of the existing sections or whether it should become a top level section in its own right?