Unraid on Hyper-V with DDA (Discrete Device Assignment)

Hey guys I'm a little confused, with DDA Hyper-V can support passing through PCI devices.

I have passed through both my HBA and USB Controller to the VM, if i boot GParted or TrueNAS i can see both the controllers and the USB Device itself, but yet when I boot UnRAID (from a VMDK copy of the USB drive because Hyper-V can't USB Boot) Unraid says "waiting for UNRAID device" but i know it's passed through.

image.png.0b96369033352e71d4d2ca6db336e86a.png]

Any ideas what i could be missing here? Obviously DDA is relatively new but it is something that should make this possible, as shown in the picture above.

Yes I know Unraid can do KVM etc, but for my own reasons I'm trying to do it this way.

Edited by Fma965
47 minutes ago, doron said:

If you use a VMDK copy of the USB, try to
1. Change the label of the VMDK volume to something other than UNRAID
2. Verify that the VM indeed sees both the virtual drive and the USB stick.

Sent from my tracking device using Tapatalk

Hey,

Thanks for the suggestions, unfortunately i have already tried option 1, and i can not verify the VM sees the USB stick as Unraid shuts down without any chance of user intervention after 30 seconds of waiting for UNRAID volume, as per the screenshot though the same VM booted to gparted or TrueNAS shows that the USB drive is indeed mounted fine.

Sorry, I guess my Hyper-V ignorance is showing...

3 hours ago, Fma965 said:

Unraid shuts down without any chance of user intervention after 30 seconds of waiting for UNRAID volume, as per the screenshot though the same VM booted to gparted or TrueNAS shows that the USB drive is indeed mounted fine.

(the screenshot you provided doesn't show the Unraid side.)

Anyway, what version of Unraid are you loading? Is it latest (6.10.0-rc4)? I peeked at the kernel 5.15.30 xhci-pci driver and support for your controller seems to be included there, but older versions might not have it (which is one guess as to why Unraid does not see your USB stick).

Also - if you have another - different - USB controller on your mobo, which you can free up and use for this, maybe that would also be worth a try.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, doron said:

Sorry, I guess my Hyper-V ignorance is showing...

(the screenshot you provided doesn't show the Unraid side.)

Anyway, what version of Unraid are you loading? Is it latest (6.10.0-rc4)? I peeked at the kernel 5.15.30 xhci-pci driver and support for your controller seems to be included there, but older versions might not have it (which is one guess as to why Unraid does not see your USB stick).

Also - if you have another - different - USB controller on your mobo, which you can free up and use for this, maybe that would also be worth a try.

I didn't take a screenshot of the unraid side, but it's the standard no USB called UNRAID found error. the screenshot does however show the same VM with the same passthrough detecting the USB fine on a standard Linux Gparted live boot cd.

Hmm interesting idea, unfortunately I have tried the latest stable and the latest RC with the same results, I also tried a Renesas USB controller but the same issue unfortunately.

For context the computer is a 7820x on a X299-WS Pro Asus motherboard

EDIT: i do have some USB 2.0 ports on this machine so i could try those i guess

Edited by Fma965
1 minute ago, doron said:

Okay this might be a stupid question but sometimes we stumble on these things (I know I do): Are you 100% sure that the USB stick indeed has a volume label of UNRAID?

Yes, you can see this in the screenshot, also my USB 2.0 controller is not DDA compatible so that rules that test out.

To clarify i tried both fresh Unraid USB and my existing baremetal one (which i knew 100% worked, non UEFI) and neither worked still

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...