Cannot chmod +x the unmenu install script on /dev/sda (usb) in /boot/unmenu

Go to solution Solved by trurl,

Hi folks, I'm primarily a Windows user (DOS/3.1x-NT/11) and over the years in IT support I've dabbled in a large number of *nix distros and MacOS so I guess I know enough to get me into trouble.

I've just installed an unraid server with a trial license. The install and config was easy enough and love the functionality. However in trying to install unmenu to extend the WebGUI I've come across an issue when running its bash install script.

At CLI i can create the /boot/unmenu dir and wget the zip, and unzip so the boot USB is mounted as rw as expected. Then I need to execute the script file unmenu_install so tried to chmod +x and also tried chmod 755 on the rw file but this op fails without error since ls -l unmenu_install shows no change to permissions (same rw as before but no new x permission).

Of course if one then cd to /boot/unmenu folder and tried to execute with ./unmenu_install we get the bash: ./unmenu_install: Permission denied error.

I've also tried creationg new files and chmodding to +x but the same issue arises.

I followed precisely the documented instructions and cannot identify the "root" cause of the problem.

It's obviously a permission issue but since I'm logged in as root I should'nt it have the right to chmod anything?

I know the OS is Slackware 14.2+ but cannot find any peculiar permission differences from searching various distro support fora.

Unraid is version 6.92 with a Trial registration cert.

If changed USB drives and installed Unraid on them using the supplied installer, each one works fine but permission issue peresists so it's not hardware. I must be missing something. I've attached the diagnostics for my server install which apart from the above sated issue is working flawlessly as intended.

sagittarius-diagnostics-20220411-2019.zip

As mentioned, unmenu should definitely not be used.  IF it even works, it will cause you issues.

But the answer to your question of why the permission change isn't working is because executable files on the boot device is specifically not allowed for security reasons.

• Solution

Wonder why you wanted to install unMenu? Are you following some really old guides? Probably best to check the dates of whatever you are reading. Most things more than a few years old are probably not relevant.

Your appdata, domains, system shares are on the array. You want them on fast pool (cache) and set to stay there so your dockers/VMs will perform better and not keep array disks spunup since these files are always open. You will have to disable Docker and VM Manager in Settings, set these shares to cache-prefer, and run mover.