Acronis backup directly to Unraid as "mountable" drive

I have a photos folder on my main PC, and using Adobe Elements as a library manager.
I'd like to set a monthly back-up to a "PhotoBackup" share on my unraid server.

I've mapped the share as a network drive (Z:)
Elements has always had trouble with sustaining that connection and I recently tried using Acronis (WD) as a solution. The size of the folder is ~1.1Tb, and my cache is about ~800Gb of free space. It seems to be working fine, but as the cache fills it eventually stalls and crashes.
I've tried to invoke the 'mover" during transfer, but it doesn't seem to help or work. 
I'd have thought the rate would just slow, but it would continue until finished. Then subsequent updates shouldn't require as much cache?

Bottom line, i'd like a rolling back up of a 1+Tb photos folder.

Open to suggestions, but limited tech knowledge; able to follow clear guidance.

I use Acronis for backing up various machines to Unraid.  No share is mounted on Windows.

In UNRAID, a new share is setup as:  Public,  Export=Yes, Use Cache pool = No     My backup speed is not limited by the UNRAID hard drive but by Acronis, so for me there is no value in using the cache for this.

In Acronis, create a new backup, and select Backup Destination.  That will be Network --> name of your Unraid server (perhaps TOWER) --> Name of the public shared folder above. Acronis should (sometimes quite slowly) populate the path as you select each folder down to that new share.

After the backup completes, you probably want to limit access to that newly created backup file.

In the UINRAID command prompt:

$ CD to the new backup file's containing directory

$ chmod 444 the_backup_file_you_just_created

$ chown root:root the_backup_file_you_just_created

That will make the backup file read-only, and only the root login in UNRAID an change that. Acronis creates a new file for each

differential backup.  I prefer NOT to use incremental backup.  The difference is that differential writes the backup between now

and when the original full backup was done.  To restore you only need the full and the last differential file to be good.  Each

differential file is larger as a result.

Incremental writes since the last incremental backup.   That means to restore you have to go back to the full, then replay all

incremental backups.  If one of those is damaged your restore stops at that point.  But the incremental file is smaller as a result.

-- Tom

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
16 minutes ago, Tom3 said:

No share is mounted on Windows.

In UNRAID, a new share is setup as:  Public,  Export=Yes, Use Cache pool = No     My backup speed is not limited by the UNRAID hard drive but by Acronis, so for me there is no value in using the cache for this.

Agree.

Seldom any reason to assign a drive letter to a network share these days. Most software can access these network shares directly. And no reason at all to cache scheduled backups, who is waiting on them to complete anyway? Just let them go directly to the array where they already have parity protection.

I used Acronis paid version for several years until they went to subscription model but am using something else now.