Multiple Disks read errors.

Go to solution Solved by trurl,

Hey, I'm having problems with multiple disks having read errors (namely 3, 4 & 5) This has occurred in the past week after changing network settings, and two weeks before that i upgraded the PSU however no issues popped up.

Steps i've tried already: 

• Using new cables from LSI controller to motherboard SATA on disk 4 - still giving read errors
  • Running extended tests on those 3 disks gave no errors 
  • Disk 5 has 1 a UDMA CRC error count 1 (Which i believe is a cable error?)
  • Disk 3, 4 & 5 completed extended tests runs without errors.
  • I believe they are shucked drives and rather than the 3rd pin being shorted with tape, they are using Molex to SATA.

Disk 4 has disabled multiple times and has forced me to do a new config and preserve all settings and tick parity is valid roughly 4 times, as it seems like the drive is supposed to be working. 

I have a feeling that it's the Molex to SATA adapter not playing well with the new PSU however there's 2 more drives on that same adapter which aren't having issues.

My solutions to "fix" the situation was to get a single 16 port LSI controller to replace my current 2 LSI 9211-8i and move my cache ssd's to a m.2 to pci-e adapter as m.2 temps were reaching 43c.

Does anyone have any idea what exactly is going on?

Thanks for any help or input!!

Halt95.

arthur-diagnostics-20220416-0048.zip

Edited by halt95
info
  • Solution
3 hours ago, halt95 said:

Disk 3, 4 & 5 completed extended tests runs without errors

According to the SMART reports on disks 3 and 4

No self-tests have been logged.

3 hours ago, halt95 said:

I have a feeling that it's the Molex to SATA adapter not playing well with the new PSU however there's 2 more drives on that same adapter which aren't having issues.

You have a lot of disks and I suspect power issues. In addition to those adapters, are splitters also involved? How many disks per PSU cable?

Hey thanks for the response, running extended tests on disk 3 and 4 now. Running a corsair HX1200 (i upgraded this a month ago.) most disks power is running directly from PSU, psu to 4 sata. except 5 shucked drives which are running one adapter (1 molex to 5 sata) and a icydock 3 bay drive caddy. And I’ve just confirmed thats the drives with errors are the ones 100% on the molex adapter. And even changing the sata cables still provided with read errors, The molex adapter is also 6 years old.

Would my next step be to test the drives with another adapter/short the 3.3v pin and use the PSU cables?

Edited by halt95
2 hours ago, halt95 said:

one adapter (1 molex to 5 sata) and a icydock 3 bay drive caddy

Keep splitters to a minimum if at all possible, and no more than 4 drives per molex connector or you will start to exceed it's current handling capability and the drives will start behaving badly (it's also a fire hazard)

22 hours ago, Michael_P said:

Keep splitters to a minimum if at all possible, and no more than 4 drives per molex connector or you will start to exceed it's current handling capability and the drives will start behaving badly (it's also a fire hazard)

Understood, will be trying 1 molex to 1 sata adapters instead once they arrive tomorrow. disk 3 & 4 came back with no errors on extended test. 

Thanks for the help, appreciate it!

On 4/17/2022 at 9:17 AM, halt95 said:

disk 3 & 4 came back with no errors on extended test. 

So if you look at SMART report for each of those, you see lines like this one for disk5 that completed without error?

SMART Extended Self-test Log Version: 1 (1 sectors)
Num  Test_Description    Status                  Remaining  LifeTime(hours)  LBA_of_first_error
# 1  Extended offline    Completed without error       00%     15598         -

After replacing the adapter with 1 molex to 2 sata adapters. and completing a parity check with additional extended checks on all drives, the system seems stable, parity has no problems running anymore and disks all completed without error. system has been running for 2 days and drives 3,4 & 5 used to usually fall offline after a few hours. Think it's safe to say my issue has been solved!

Thanks for all the help and sorry for the late response, was waiting for the parity check to complete.

Halt95.

Edited by halt95