[SOLVED] Disk unmountable?

Go to solution Solved by trurl,

Good morning:

Did some searching around and saw some posts about "unmountable disks" but nothing like what I'm experiencing.  All the ones I saw had to do with replacing failed disks, upgrading disk size, etc.

For me, though?  It's a brand new disk!  I put a brand new disk in, it cleared and all that, now it says "unmountable".  

image.thumb.png.e21fdef5bb201bb337a52a062e2cc1b1.png

I don't get it...why would a brand new disk be "unmountable"?  Any help greatly appreciated.  Never had this happen.  Usually I just shove a disk in, it clears and away we go...

Logs:  diagnostics-20220418-0715.zip

• Solution
7 minutes ago, rmp5s said:

why would a brand new disk be "unmountable"?

I assume because you haven't yet formatted it, so it has no filesystem to mount.

8 minutes ago, rmp5s said:

Usually I just shove a disk in, it clears and away we go...

after formatting it in the array, right?

Or am I wrong with all this and you have already put files on the disk?

Just now, trurl said:

I assume because you haven't yet formatted it, so it has no filesystem to mount.

after formatting it in the array, right?

Or am I wrong with all this and you have already put files on the disk?

Nope...there isn't anything on it.  I took it out of the box and shoved it in the server.  I don't remember having to do anything else with it before...pretty sure I just put it in, add it to the array, it clears, bob's your auntie.  I'm not even sure off hand how to format a disk in unRAID.  lol

There is a basic misunderstanding here.

At the bottom of the main GUI there should be a checkbox and dialog to initiate Unraid's formatting of any unformatted disks in the array.

The piece that you quoted assumes you would check that box and allow Unraid to do its thing.

If you format a drive BEFORE adding it to a parity protected array it will be erased anyway, so no need (or use) to format a drive before adding it. You must let Unraid do the formatting after you add it.

Guess I'm going to have to stop the array again and see if there's a "format" button somewhere.  Don't remember having to do that before but that's the only thing I can think of.  I can't stop the array right now as I have things going on on the server that I have to wait for.  Will give it a shot and let you all know how it goes.

• rmp5s changed the title to [SOLVED] Disk unmountable?
  • 1 month later...
On 4/18/2022 at 7:41 AM, JonathanM said:

At the bottom of the main GUI there should be a checkbox and dialog to initiate Unraid's formatting of any unformatted disks in the array.

Thank you...took me forever to figure that out.  I was expecting the format option to be next to the drive in "Array Devices", or on the "Disk Settings" tab.

• Like 1