Completely Broken Flash Drive?

Go to solution Solved by ChatNoir,

Not sure exactly what happened but started getting the "kernel panic - not syncing VFS: unable to mount root fs" error earlier today. Searching that online, led me to believe the flash drive was corrupted or having issues, tried plugging it into a Windows machine hoping to pull the old config file off and re-write the rest of the bootable media and copy the config file back. But upon plugging it in, it just makes the Windows device plug-in sound non-stop and never comes up in file explorer. Almost seems like the flash drive is having some sort of electrical failure/shorting. I have never read anything about a best practice of "make sure you back up your flash drive/config file" until now that it is an issue. Am I completely screwed? 

10 hours ago, ChatNoir said:

If you have notifications set up (and you should), you will have your drive assignements in the daily Array health report.

I did have notifications set up. Where can I find this report? Created a new bootable media to get into web GUI again, has all my drives unassigned. Should I just start mounting unassigned devices and looking around? As a reminder, previous flash drive is 100% unusable at the moment. 

Edited by gm6147
grammar
5 hours ago, Squid said:

Both solutions suggested from trurl and limetech on that thread rely on the flash media being accessible. To retrieve the config file. Mine is completely unusable at this time. Have gotten a quote for data recovery so I could simply get my config file back off the USB drive for anywhere between $700-3900 USD. This is not something I can reasonably afford to do.

56 minutes ago, JonathanM said:

Look at the last daily health report you received from the server notification. It will have a list of your drives.

Where is this stored by default? Unless, by notifications set up, you mean have them sent to me via SNTP or something else. In which case, then no I did not have notifications set up. I would get the pop-up at log in about the array health check every day. But didn't have it sent anywhere special if that's what you mean. 

• Solution
2 hours ago, gm6147 said:

I did have notifications set up. Where can I find this report? Created a new bootable media to get into web GUI again, has all my drives unassigned. Should I just start mounting unassigned devices and looking around? As a reminder, previous flash drive is 100% unusable at the moment. 

I meant in Settings / Notification Settings , there are several ways for Unraid to keep you informed without needing to access the server (email, discord, telegram, slack, etc.)

Its the best way to be aware as soon as possible of any issue with the server in order to act sooner rather than later and prevent a small issue to be big problem.

Anyhow, if you did not set that up before, that won't help you now.

You can check how to determine what are your data and parity drives with the instructions here https://wiki.unraid.net/Manual/Changing_The_Flash_Device#What_to_do_if_you_have_no_backup_and_do_not_know_your_disk_assignments

• Thanks 1